The Master Cleanse...

Options
Hey everyone!

Has anyone done the Master Cleanse? I was thinking about doing it soon and I wanted some feedback and opinions before i start it. If you don't know what it is you should check it out and read about it online! I also looked it up on youtube and got some pretty good results.

Replies

• cathyAprice
    Options
    I heard horrible things about it...case in point with the previous attached article. Shakeology has a safe, nutrient dense cleanse that is only 3 days, very effective and you don't gain the weight back--it's more of a "jumpstart". Message me if you're interested.

C
  • daynalee30
    Options
    Hey! I have done it twice and I love it. I've done it for 5 days and 10 days. The first couple of days were hard for me and I felt exhausted BUT by the middle of my cleanse I felt fantastic and "clean" plus any weight lost was never gained back. I skipped the salt water cleanse- couldn't do it! Just used laxative tea instead. All in all, a great experience and will probably do it once or twice a year!
  • tigersmoondiva
    tigersmoondiva Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My first try was for 7 days last year. On the 7th day - I had TONS of energy! I took my son out on a bike ride to the lake. About 10 miles one way - we got there - swam for a couple of hours and started heading back. On the way back I kept getting dizzy and .. well - ended up tracking down a park ranger who took us to the office where we could call for a ride home. I had heat exhaustion brought on by triple digit heat and an electrolyte imbalance.

The upside to the diet - generally I have IBS - I did not have an attack of that for about 9 months after I did the cleanse. I did lose weight. I did NOT keep it off - it is a CLEANSE.

The downside - you will have energy - so much so you may bite off more than you can chew. STAY COOL and don't be dumb like I was.

Your going to get a LOT of really bad responses about this diet - many times by people who have never tried it. But if you come of it right you'll do better than I did the first time. If you have health issues - you might want to check with your doctor. Keep in mind it is a juice fast more or less.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I have an aunt who did it regularly when she was younger. I never liked her skin colour when she finished. She never used the laxatives, but just took the lemon/maple syrup/cayenne pepper mixture for 40 days. You should make sure that you don't have any underlying medical condition, like latent diabetes or blood sugar sensitivities, before starting out. And be careful. Make sure you are not doing this one alone, in case you collapse and nobody is around to help you. This is one that I could never do.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I did it once...Lost 10 lbs and in 2 days, the weight came back...I don't think it's healthy, I'll never do it again...
  • prettygirlxp
    Options
    It is great to be clean ur body from toxins bla bla but if u're going to do it expecting to lose some weight , don't waste ur time! yeah, u'll lose up to 20lbs with it but only water and muscle weight, which means u'll gain them again afterwards!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I've done it, for 9 days. Including the salt water cleanse.

It was very helpful for what I used it for, which was "clearing out the pipes" after a particularly heavy holiday season, when my system was particularly sluggish. No, the weight didn't stay off, but my well-being improved, and I felt better.

I agree with the above posters - be sure that you are healthy enough to handle it, don't do it alone - at least have someone close that will check in with you daily to make sure you are okay, and don't expect it to give you permanent weight loss... you will lose water weight, which comes back.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I've been using the liver/kidney cleanse for 33 years now. It's totally natural, has no unwanted side effects, and free!! You should try it! Also, its the only cleanse proven to work.

Good luck!!
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I've done itseveral times....AND WON'T DO IT AGAIN!!

For me it was something I used to do because I didn't want to commit to a healthier life style. I would always do it before my vacations.. Trying to lean out as much as possible to look good on the beach.
    It's a temporary fix. Also it kinda make you cranky. I also know people who have done it and blacked out from it.

I decided about 4 years ago to just maintain a healthy life style 24/7/365.
  • tigersmoondiva
    tigersmoondiva Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yeah the salt water cleanse was HARSH - by the end of the glass you feel like puking. Do NOT go ANYWHERE for at least 3 hours or so afterword. The results tend to be rather explosive.... (After the third day or so it's mostly water - but still... ewwww)
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    http://www.danielsdiet.com/

I did this diet in November and pretty much adopted it as a lifestyle. You are basically eating fruit, veges, nuts and berries. It will clean you out naturally.
  • cparkburke
    cparkburke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's basically a fast, with laxatives. It is very likely you'll lose weight in the short term, and it's very likely you'll gain it back. As with all fasting and laxative use, especially with weight control, there is a small chance you may develop an acute medical condition, and a small chance you will develop some addiction, anorexic, or body image disorders.

Before you fast, be sure to make sure you don't have a medical condition that contraindicates it. The best recent summary on benefits of fasting I liked: http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/benefits-of-fasting.aspx

Wishing you much luck and happy in this endeavor! :-)
  • ItsMeLori
    Options
    If you are putting the right foods into your body, healthy, fresh foods your Kidneys liver will do the job for you.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    You don't need to "detox" or "cleanse" your body. Your body naturally rids itself of toxins.

Simply start eating a healthier diet and you will feel better.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    So, are you planning on doing the master cleanse and the apple diet?

I don't think both would be good for your body IMO
  • greatginew
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Has anyone done the Master Cleanse? I was thinking about doing it soon and I wanted some feedback and opinions before i start it. If you don't know what it is you should check it out and read about it online! I also looked it up on youtube and got some pretty good results.
  • greatginew
    Options
    I've started the Master Cleanse Diet today. I did a bunch of reading online & it's likely not the best way to lose or keep off weight. but...I have a friend & she saw good results. Although, she doesn't have the same muscle mass I have. I think that's my greatest concern - losing muscle mass. I just find it very hard to believe that my body will start "eating" my muscle when there's extra fat to use - I wish I knew more about how that worked...Your body burns, sugar then carbs then fat then muscle rite?
    I'm following the Ease In Phase of the Master Cleanse so today I'm only eating organic "living food" which is to say the most expensive fruits & veggies @ the grocery store. So far I feel pretty normal. We shall see what tomorrow's juice/broth/soup day brings...
    More to come...
    E :~}
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I've started the Master Cleanse Diet today. I did a bunch of reading online & it's likely not the best way to lose or keep off weight. but...I have a friend & she saw good results. Although, she doesn't have the same muscle mass I have. I think that's my greatest concern - losing muscle mass. I just find it very hard to believe that my body will start "eating" my muscle when there's extra fat to use - I wish I knew more about how that worked...Your body burns, sugar then carbs then fat then muscle rite?
    I'm following the Ease In Phase of the Master Cleanse so today I'm only eating organic "living food" which is to say the most expensive fruits & veggies @ the grocery store. So far I feel pretty normal. We shall see what tomorrow's juice/broth/soup day brings...
    More to come...
    E :~}

Muscles use a lot of energy, so... the body eliminates them to slow energy consumption. Somewhat.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    You weigh 130 lbs and are 6' tall you are already severely underweight at a BMI of 17.6.