Thoughts on coffee during weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• jjordan3600
    Options
    Here is what WebMD says:
    Booster Shot: Black Coffee
    If you're a coffee drinker, you probably enjoy the increased energy and concentration that follows your morning ritual. Taken in moderation, one of coffee's benefits may be a short-term increase in your metabolic rate.
  • jernigan51
    Options
    Everything I've read/heard on the matter is that it's what you ADD to that coffee. The sugars and creamers add up fast! I used to load mine up with creamer, but I've switched to either black, or a packet of Splenda. But I'll never give it up completely!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it hasn't done any harm. I drink 1-3 cups a day with heavy cream and Splenda or Truvia.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Did... did I just read an entire thread on MFP where everyone AGREED!?

This HAS been an interesting Monday... anyone wanna check if hell froze over?
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee in the morning......with Fat Free Vanilla Creamer. Only 30 cals per tbps, and you get the sweetness with the creaminess. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..I generally drink one big mug (sometimes two, if it's a hectic morning :)
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have had to cut my coffee way back. Not because of the coffee itself, but because I'm one of those people who likes a little coffee in her cream. LOL And I LOVE half and half, but heavy cream is even better!!!

So, I've cut back to only drinking it 3 to 4 days a week. I measure my cream/half&half/milk, and I measure my sugar so I know EXACTLY how many calories are going into it, and then I'm careful to remember to count that towards my daily calorie intake goal.

And actually, if someone is going to put sugar in their coffee, a good dose of full fat milk or cream is recommended, as the fat helps slow your body's absorption of the sugar. This helps to ensure that your blood sugar level stays stable and doesn't suddenly hit a high and then plummet, causing the crazy blood-sugar-roller coaster to begin.

So what have we learned... coffee is ok. Count the sugar and cream in your daily calories. Try to cut back the amount of sugar and cream you use if you're like me and love a lot of cream!!

God bless!
  • gyftofthewyrm
    Options
    You guys rock. Thanks all.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 cups of coffee everyday with flavored creamer (70 calories a mug) I gave up pop 8 weeks ago, I am not giving up my coffee too
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i cut down on coffee from four cups to two 8 ounce cups. I measure out my low fat half and half, and use one splenda per cup.
  • kfuller27
    kfuller27 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've lost 102 lbs in the past 8 months, and I drink coffee every single day. I could never give it up, and have never had any problems!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I guess it helps me that I do drink my coffee black too; so the calorie intake is minimal at best.
  • calamitydown
    Options
    it makes me poop! weight loss indeed..but not fat :-X tehe

Yeah, coffee and my stomach don't get along. I get the bubble guts right away. But if I take caffeine pills, my stomach is fine. It's weird.

This is because it's not the caffeine in the coffee that is stimulating the bowel, but an enzyme found in the coffee that is a natural irritant to the colon (not to mention the all the acid!). Even people that drink decaf can still have bowel problems with coffee!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of coffee every morning with (GASP!!!) real sugar

Me too!!!! :laugh: I try and limit my coffee to 3 or 4 a day in total, I used to drink in excess of 10 mugs of coffee a day (black with 2 sugars). Only the 1st coffee of the day has real sugar in it now, the rest (with milk) are without sweetner or sugar. I'm not giving up coffee for anybody!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Drink it, enjoy it, count the calories in it (although if you drink it black, no sugar like me, I don't bother to log those 2 calories a day!).

Unless of course you are drinking those liquid candy drinks from Starbucks, I don't consider those coffee, and don't suggest you drink them. I also don't understand "creamer", I think it is yet another one of those odd american food-like-substances!