Selecting the correct Normal Daily Activities....

Options
Hi there, I am having a hard time with my selection of "Sedentary" under the normal daily activities, and I think it is leading me to a false daily calorie allowance. I Do sit at a desk... for 8 hours a day. But, I also teach two hours a day, on my feet after work. I also work out for 60-90 minutes every morning.

I work 12 and 24 hour shifts at the FD From Friday Night until Sunday evening... much of that time is sitting, but a lot of it is active and I also hunt, fish, work in my garage a lot... I pretty much move non-stop other than when I am sleeping or sitting at work.

Is this why I am only allowed 1500 or so calories a day? I add 600-1000 from exercise so I eat more than 1500 as a rule but I am starting to worry I am not getting enough.

Replies

• rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    THis is hard for me too... At my old job I had myself set at "moderately active" as I ran around all day, up and down steps, lifting boxes, etc... but then when I quit working I realized i was sedentary lol. I still worry that maybe I am more active than I give myself credit for, etc.

That's why it's so important to also be in touch with your body's needs. Go with sedentary... but if you find yourself eating a couple hundred calories over that each day, DONT FREAK OUT! It maybe just means your a little more active then sedentary and your body needs a little more. So long as you are feeling good and making progress, dont let this be a hindrance.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thanks Man... I am not sure what to do or where I want to go. I know that I used BMI as my guide for a goal (Gave me 75 pounds) but if I were only 175 I would feel and look silly.

Besides, it is hard to throw a 56 pound weight on a chain at 175, but it is hard to do so when you are slow and have too much body fat so I guess I will use progressive elaboration and change my plan as I go...
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? That way you can see how many calories you actually burn (REMEMBERING OF COURSE TO DEDUCT THE BMR ALLOWANCE). Then you can eat back with more confidence.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? That way you can see how many calories you actually burn (REMEMBERING OF COURSE TO DEDUCT THE BMR ALLOWANCE). Then you can eat back with more confidence.

Thats interesting... so your saying to wear it from the time I get up, to the time I go to bed on a typical day?

I like that idea. Then, if I want to lose 1-2 pounds a week I would simply subtract 1000 calories from it so I get a "safe" deficit?
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    well you have a couple options, sedentary means mostly couch potato, i.e. sit at desk, go back home and do mandatory stuff, watch TV and sleep.

If you pick that, everything out of that scope can and should be logged, as I said excluding regular chores.
    In your case I would step it up a notch.

I also wonder as at 185 I still get around 1800 a day allowance with a goal of losing one pound a week, are you set to a higher goal?