New to MyFitnessPal

Hello, I’m new to this app and new to the entire working out scene. Many things have popped into my life recently and I decided to make this journey and be helpful in the community while also encouraging others to be well. Any type of advice that can be given I’ll gladly take as I start on this journey

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,976 Member
    Welcome!

First bit of advice is to set goals; maybe a long term goal and short term goals. What goals have you set?

Next bit is to develop strategies to achieve those goals. What are you planning to do to be successful?

Third bit is to take it slow and steady. Don't over-do things; you are likely to, at best, get frustrated and quit and, at worst, damage your body.

Last thing: Working out is great. Fitness brings many good things to our lives. If part of your goal is weight loss, that happens in the kitchen, not the gym. They say (whoever they are, and they're right) that you can't outrun the fork.
  • TheJourneyForward
    TheJourneyForward Posts: 4 Member
    I’m going through a very rough patch when it comes to a lot of things that has led me to seek out therapy. In the midst of everything happening I want to work on my physical health.

As far as goals I want to try and lose about 40 pounds roughly within the next 6-12 months, increase my endurance and get a overall better sense of self.
    I’m wanting to start intermittent fasting as healthy as possible but I don’t know too much about macros or anything workout wise. Watching videos has helped but I’m feeling as if I’m not doing them properly.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,976 Member
    Rough patches are no fun. I hope that therapy provides some relief and that you can move past whatever is taking up space rent-free in your head.

Lots of people find intermittent fasting helps them stay in a calorie deficit. It's simply only allowing yourself to eat part of your waking hours. I've read of several people who mostly credit it with helping them stop late night snacking. That's a common nemesis. The trick is making sure your window is big enough that you can get enough calories as well enough protein and fat (and yes carbs).

Exercise can start as simple as walking. Mix up the pace. Add hills. Swimming is a good all-body workout if you have access to a pool. Lots of people like running; the equipment is simple. If you can afford it, consider one or two sessions with a personal trainer once you decide one or two things you are going to enjoy doing. That way you develop good habits and don't have to unlearn bad habits that you might unintentionally develop just by doing it on your own.

Forty pounds in a year is VERY achievable. It's less than a pound a week; maybe for the first ten or 20 pounds you could try to lose a pound a week, then taper it off to a slower rate when you are down to your last 20, and again for the last ten. For me, that last ten is a never-ending cycle. That's my maintenance; gaining and losing that same few pounds over and over. I presume that will be the case forever, or at least as long as I am alive. After that, I plan to lose all my weight....