Negative Foods

Options
hey guys i dont know if you know about negative foods but these are foods that burn more cals than their content.

heres a list:

Negative calorie vegetables: Aubergine, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chicory, Cress, Cucumber, Fennel, Gourd, Leek, Lettuce, Marrow,Peppers, Radish, Spinach,Tomato, Turnip

Negative calorie fruits: Apricot, Blackberry Blackcurrant, Clementines, Damsons, Grapefruit, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Lemon, Mandarin orange, Melon Cantaloupe, Peaches, Plums, Raspberry, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon

Hope this helps with diets i tend to use these alot :)

Vikki x

Replies

• demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but there's no such thing as a negative calorie food. Except maybe celery.

I'll take just one of your examples; the apricot. It's small and it's a fruit. It also has 74 calories and 17 grams of sugar. I don't think I can chew that little thing hard enough to burn 74 calories. In actuality, it takes me a good 3/4 mile run or walk to burn 74 calories.

I know some people get this misconception from the new Weight Watcher's plan but when you're counting calories, you have to count them all. Including the celery.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I know some people get this misconception from the new Weight Watcher's plan but when you're counting calories, you have to count them all. Including the celery.
    ^THIS
  • lisanxd
    Options
    I wouldn't use this. Watermelon actually has a very high sugar content. I'm not a nutritionist by any means, but they definitely don't give you negative calories.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    Well except for my chicken and dressing you just listed my whole lunch salad.

I agree with the fruits. Except for maybe a few small berries, even with the high water content I don't think any of the others shoud be considered negative calories.

List everything and their calories when tracking, that is my recommendation. The whole tracking program on here provides analysis of calories consumed to calories burned. Even if it takes more calories to eat celery then is in it, you still have to include it for consistency in tracking and keeping yourself overall on track.
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This is the second post on negative foods today and its a myth. All foods contain calories and your BMR setting allows for any chewing / digestion etc. so they are countable. That said everything listed is healthy food and will help keep you regular but this is part of a balanced meal.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong - everything on there is healthy and should be consumed, but don't mistake that for being 0 or negative net calories.
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but there's no such thing as a negative calorie food. Except maybe celery.

I'll take just one of your examples; the apricot. It's small and it's a fruit. It also has 74 calories and 17 grams of sugar. I don't think I can chew that little thing hard enough to burn 74 calories. In actuality, it takes me a good 3/4 mile run or walk to burn 74 calories.

+1
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters........there are no negative calorie foods. Even celery........

Here is a better definition:

RE: negative calorie foods. No that doesn't mean the
    foods have negative calories ;) I wish lol. What it means is that
    when you eat these foods raw or in some cases slightly cooked with nothing on them
    your body burns more calories digesting and processing them than what
    is in the actual food itself. For a healthy weight loss and a little
    boost add some of these foods to your diet each day. Most are full of
    nutrients and won't weigh you down.
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong - everything on there is healthy and should be consumed, but don't mistake that for being 0 or negative net calories.

+1 for this too ;)
  • MuffinMan25
    Options
    Im going to have to disagree on this one.:tongue:
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    False
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    As long as we're creating negative list, can we add beer? Pretty please?? I'd say with whipped cream and a cherry on top, but they didn't make the cut.

Sorry ... no such luck as negative calories.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, even though it is wrong! :flowerforyou:
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    That is why many of people on the new weight watchers program are struggling. It is counting all these fruits as zero points and people don't control their intake.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    If there was such a thing, some medical company would have boxed it up and patented it! Myth.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    That is why many of people on the new weight watchers program are struggling. It is counting all these fruits as zero points and people don't control their intake.

Unless they've recently changed, even WW counts the above mentioned fruit once it receaches a certian weight. Meaning you could eat up to zero points wait a couple hours and go back and eat up to zero points again ... which as we all know doesn't add up to zero on weight in day.
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    there are no free or negative foods. unless you count plain ole water as a food.
    everything you put in your mouth has a calorie value. unless you have a super speedy jaw, there is no way you chew fast enough to burn enough calories to make any of those foods negative.

this is one of the multiple reasons i left weight watchers.
    most fruit is very high in sugar, and should be eaten in controlled portions, and most definitely counted in calorie intake.

posts like this get under my skin. food isnt free.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I only believe that pure filtered water has no calorie what so ever.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    As long as we're creating negative list, can we add beer? Pretty please?? I'd say with whipped cream and a cherry on top, but they didn't make the cut.

Sorry ... no such luck as negative calories.

I VOTE FOR THIS, TOO!!!!

negative calorie beer - NOT lite beer, though ;) uggggghhh.