Trying to lose weight 7 days at gym

Options
Wanted to ask I’m 40 and work out every after work for hour I do strength and cardio but wanted to ask should I eat more protein or more carbs to help the process?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Felipe210 wrote: »
    Wanted to ask I’m 40 and work out every after work for hour I do strength and cardio but wanted to ask should I eat more protein or more carbs to help the process?

For weight loss, what matters is how many calories you eat . . . specifically, to lose you need to eat fewer calories than you burn (from a combination of just being alive, home/job routine, plus exercise). (You can lose weight doing zero exercise, as long as you eat at the right level. But exercise is good to do for health and strength reasons, of course.)

Nutrition, stuff like protein and carbs, is more about health, energy level, body composition, feeling full (or not) and that sort of thing. If you're trying to gain muscle, you need adequate protein. That's what your body uses to repair/build muscle, and it's an "essential nutrient", meaning that your body can't manufacture protein out of any other thing you consume.

For most people, carbs are more individual and flexible. (Some people with special health conditions, such as diabetes, may have extra needs to manage carbs in more detail.) Some people find that eating fewer carbs helps them control their cravings and appetite. Other people find that if they eat too few carbs, their energy level tanks and they drag through their days, have poor exercise performance. If you pay attention to what you eat an how you feel, you can figure out what carb level works best for you.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Your calories in vs calories out (exercise, daily living) are the only things that matter for weight loss. Are you logging your food?
  • Richiemaerk
    Richiemaerk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Good question thx for asking.
  • Milliardo5
    Milliardo5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    First of all, you don't need to be in the gym daily. If you're starting out, three times a week is more than enough. 1-2 hours in the gym is the max for those starting out IMO, but if this is really your start then I would say even less than an hour for the first week is already a start. As with anything here, what your goals are will determine your nutrition as well as your workout program.