Neck Measurement

Options
I've been wondering what the purpose is for measuring the neck. Also, is a high or low measurement good?

Replies

• rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think it's meant to measure the recession of double chins and such? Not sure
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Your neck, wrists, and ankles are key measurements to determine your genetically pre-determined body type. In general, the higher those numbers are, the more you will naturally weigh muscularly.

For fat loss purposes, generally higher numbers in those categories means lower body fats at higher measurements elsewhere.

For example, say you have two identical males @ 185, 35" waists, but one has a 15" neck and the other has 17". The 17" guy will probably have less body fat and more muscle because his frame will be bigger.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    when you gain weight you gain it everywhere, even your neck. I usually measure mine somewhere in the middle
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    The neck measurement puzzled me from Day 1 on MFP. However, seven months later and almost 30 pounds lighter, my neck is the same measurement as it was when I started! I guess I never had a fat neck (?) :laugh:
  • BeerKahuna
    Options
    As I lost weight, eventually my neck measurement went down and I was able to buy dress shirts with a smaller neck size that fit comfortably. I used to squeeze into an 18" neck dress shirt but now I fit properly into a 17 1/2" shirt.

So two reasons, tracking progress primarily but also as a point of reference according to aj_rock's explanation.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful information! :)