feeling tired after walking

Options
t's been over a month since I've been doing 10k steps a day and cut out the majority of sugary foods, and eating more clean. However, after coming home from my walk, about an hour later I start to feel really tired to the point I can't even open my eyes. I just need to sleep. I sometimes also have a heavy head too.
What could i do that would help?
I know there's nothing wrong with taking a nap but its an everyday thing and considering the fact that I'm at home all day after my walk it gets in the way of my sleeping schedule at night
i also eat between 1800 - 2000 calories a day as i workout alot

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Do you stay well hydrated? Are you getting enough sleep otherwise?
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,610 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Congrats on 10K steps a day. That should help with your quality of sleep. Our minds can sometimes build associations between places and behaviors. If, after your walk, you go home and do the same thing each time you come in the house, like go to the same room and eat a snack or what ever you do, if its the same each time you get back, it could be your brain associates it with "now it's nap time". So you might try changing that up. Example: go to a different room, don't eat a snack, even change the time of day that you walk, anything that changes your routine so your brain doesn't get that signal.

If you feel the nap coming on, and you don't want to take it, get your mind engaged and your body moving in that moment. If you can redirect you attention, like doing a hobby or any activity that gets your heart rate up a little, you can beat that nap signal.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, are you in an area with a heavy pollen count? It’s affected me that way for the past month.
  • daniigirl84
    daniigirl84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Take the nap!! 😁 A nice 20 min power nap will perk you up and shouldn't interfere that much with your nightly routine.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    tiamiap24 wrote: »
    t's been over a month since I've been doing 10k steps a day and cut out the majority of sugary foods, and eating more clean. However, after coming home from my walk, about an hour later I start to feel really tired to the point I can't even open my eyes. I just need to sleep. I sometimes also have a heavy head too.
    What could i do that would help?
    I know there's nothing wrong with taking a nap but its an everyday thing and considering the fact that I'm at home all day after my walk it gets in the way of my sleeping schedule at night
    i also eat between 1800 - 2000 calories a day as i workout alot

How fast have you been losing weight? Even 1800-2000 calories might not be optimal; what's important is eating enough to keep weight loss at a sensibly moderate weight.

How much of your total workout routine is new in the last month? If the steps and a good bit of the workouts are both new, it could just be partly cumulative fatigue. It can take a while to catch up with a person.

How is your nutrition? Again, after a few weeks, especially with an ambitious activity/exercise routine, sub-ideal nutrition can also start to catch up with a person. I'd be looking at whether there's enough protein, fats, and veggies/fruits, primarily. Are you by any chance using a low carb diet? Sometimes there's an adaptation period for that, too (you do mention cutting sugar, so it could be a bigger change, in that scenario). Also, a few people may even find that low carb eating isn't the best for their energy level, though other people find it pretty perfect - it varies, individually.

People use lots of different definitions of "eating clean", so I'm not sure exactly what you mean by it, but some of the definitions are kind of a tangent to good overall nutrition (for example, someone can be eating entirely whole foods, and consider that clean eating, but still not be getting enough protein, or some other needful thing(s)).

There are lots of good ideas in the posts above to consider, but there are many potential causes for fatigue, so I thought I might just throw these things into the conversation for you to consider, hoping that something from someone will resonate with you.

Wishing you luck in finding a solution!
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I get like that too. I either take the nap or make myself get up and move. If i get up the urge to sleep goes away.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I get up and make a cup of tea. I do squats and modified push ups while the water is heating.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    Are you maintaining losing or gaining weight and at what rate?

What's your current weight/height? Do you feel this way after your other exercises?

Is your walk before, after or on a separate day as compared to your other exercises?

Do you consume any calories before during or after your walk?