Playing basketball keeps making me cry. WTH??!

Options
AlpacaPotato
AlpacaPotato Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2021 in Motivation and Support
My boyfriend loves basketball.. He’s also pretty good at it. He’s tall and flexible (much more than me) During the past few months, we have been going to the court together. He’s been teaching me a few simple things. Unfortunately, I’m not very good. The only basketball I ever played before was with my dad growing up. I haven’t touched a ball in years. Nevertheless, I love it. I’ve had a blast learning. .. but lately it’s been causing me to just break down crying for no reason. I have no idea what’s wrong. It’s only basketball.. I suck at a lot of sports and never got emotional during anything like this before. My boyfriend is really sweet about it, but I know he doesn’t really want to teach me anymore because I keep getting so stressed. I don’t want to quit, but I don’t know why I get so overwhelmed now. I didn’t used to do this. Basketball was so fun! Anyone experience anything like this?

Replies

• cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You could try playing it with other women your size and strength. It sounds like a bit of an unfair playing field to be practising with a tall man.

But it is weird. I had the same trying to learn judo and also skiing. No idea why but they made me tearful. Never had anything like it with other sports but judo made me really emotional and I think my ski instructor thought I was weird. :D Whereas lifting weight, bootcamp, yoga, running, boxing and kick boxing - all sorts of other sports just make me happy.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    you could be euphoric because you love playing so much and that can make you tear up and overwhelmed with emotion. it could be a release
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,487 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you start crying? What’s your best guess?
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Is it the only sport you are playing with your boyfriend? You mention that for other sports you are not good at, you don't get emotional, so I'm wondering if the connection is not being good at something you are doing together with your boyfriend or that he finds important.
  • Helfiger
    Helfiger Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Oh. I feel so sorry for you. I can feel you like I was in the same situation. I was upset because of it. It's like I tried so hard and still can't do it well. I used to play a lot of basketball before the pandemic started. Now it has become more challenging to go out. Moreover, all the news says that there are a lot of infected people https://israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/295127 . But I was also apprehensive about not being able to support my team well. Sometimes they even got mad at me about it, and I felt even worse. I tried my best, but I haven't been on the team as long as they did. None of them supported me. Maybe your boyfriend doesn't help you too much?
  • Helfiger
    Helfiger Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh. I feel so sorry for you. I can feel you like I was in the same situation. I was upset because of it. It's like I tried so hard and still can't do it well. I used to play a lot of basketball before the pandemic started. Now it has become more challenging to go out. Moreover, all the news says that there are a lot of infected people https://israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/295123 . But I was also apprehensive about not being able to support my team well. Sometimes they even got mad at me about it, and I felt even worse. I tried my best, but I haven't been on the team as long as they did. None of them supported me. Maybe your boyfriend doesn't help you too much?
  • caspiantigress
    caspiantigress Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i used to be a basketball player for 17 years, my guess is that might be so important to you. and i would say give it more time. you might become good at it if you really want it and try hard.
  • jamieilers346
    jamieilers346 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What is the emotion behind the crying? Sometimes when I start working out, especially when it's been a while, I cry or tear up because it feels so good to be doing something for myself. It's weird to cry when I'm feeling good, but whatever. Maybe figure out the "why" behind your crying...is it a positive reason or negative one and how can you change it?