Shredded Chicken Recipes?

Options
My momma is making chicken enchiladas tonight. I'm talking the authentic, amazing, delicious shredded chicken enchiladas that make your mouth water and your *kitten* jiggly. Needless to say, I will be keeping away from them (boo!), but momma set aside some shredded chicken for me to use however I please.

This is where I need help. I need recipes! What can I do with shredded chicken that will be super tasty but healthy? :)

Replies

• Dolphingirlie81
    Options
    chicken wraps, chicken salad
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    get taco mix and make them into tacos.....but its high in sodium so drink lots of water.....i always sautee onions and garlic in with it.....but don't fry your shells, keep the corn shells soft and just heat it over the pan with no oil.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
  • howmyworldruns
    Options
    You can use hot sauce instead of the taco seasoning and probably save some sodium. Use corn tortillas and make soft tacos or pile on top of lettuce, tomatoes, pinto beans, cheese, hot sauce and have a salad.
  • howmyworldruns
    Options
    I'm hungry now....:-)
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    why cant you have a low fat version of enchiladas? I'd mix the chicken in a low fat soft wrap and use low fat cheese and sour cream. beans and salsa can be added without adding fat. also, have it with rice and/or a salad.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You can enjoy similar food to what your family is eating. (My 3 and 5 year old loved this)
    Shredded chicken
    canned tomatoes with green chiles ( a little spicy)
    corn
    black beans

bake slowly

Low cal, but you can add to it. You can add a little cheese or sour cream, more spice, rice or a wrap. It was very tasty.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Toss a little Italian dressing on it, and have it on a sandwich thin. My favorite! Making those this weekend! Or, put some salsa on it and make a taco with that. Delicious!
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I made a quesadilla last night with mine. One whole wheat tortilla spread with 1/4 cup fat free (prefer fat free spicy, but hard for me to find lately) refried beans. I used 2.25 oz shredded grilled chicken mixed with a 1/4 cup of shredded cheese on the beans and then fold in half and toast in the skillet. The creaminess of the beans held everything together so I didn't need as much cheese. It was way yummier than I expected. You could always add onion, bell pepper, corn, mushrooms, or spinach as well. With 2 Tbsp. of sour cream (real, not light), mine was right at 500 calories, but my tortilla had a lot of calories. You could definately cut it back some and it made a good sized serving.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I would just put em on some corn tortillas with lettuce and sour cream/guac.

And thanks, I no longer want what I was going to make for dinner. I totally am salivating for some Mexican!:tongue:
  • ppais35
    ppais35 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    test
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    I made a quesadilla last night with mine. One whole wheat tortilla spread with 1/4 cup fat free (prefer fat free spicy, but hard for me to find lately) refried beans. I used 2.25 oz shredded grilled chicken mixed with a 1/4 cup of shredded cheese on the beans and then fold in half and toast in the skillet. The creaminess of the beans held everything together so I didn't need as much cheese. It was way yummier than I expected. You could always add onion, bell pepper, corn, mushrooms, or spinach as well. With 2 Tbsp. of sour cream (real, not light), mine was right at 500 calories, but my tortilla had a lot of calories. You could definately cut it back some and it made a good sized serving.

WINNER :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Possibly not for tonight, but how about Tortilla Soup? Low sodium chicken broth, some thick and chunky salsa and shredded chicken make a great soup. Ladle into a bowl and add a few crushed tortilla chips, some lime juice, a little avocado, cilantro (if you like it) and a bit of shredded cheese.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I think you can have some enchiladas. just use the food logging tool to see how many you can eat before you bust your calorie limit using some restaurant equivalent. At least you walk into dinner knowing where you should draw the line.

As for recipes, If the meat is seasoned already, stir fry with shrimp, bell peppers and onions. Put on a plate of shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes. Top with slices of avacado and a squirt of lime. A dollop of fat free sour cream would also go well.
  • rachelnorth2008
    Options
    Our family graduated from dinner plates to "bowls" for dinner, using shredded chicken on top of lettuce, tapatio sauce:), pintos, cotija cheese(tastes better for less quantity, fat) pickled jalepenos, and tortilla chips to crunch on top..add chop orange peppers, tomatoes, even carrots, cilantro..kids that are playing soccer, and daughter that swims burn enough extra calories to justify tortillas..then i douse the whole thing with hot chicken broth to make a "soup" ..
    We also do an asian version, with rice, green onion, chopped peanuts, celery, peppers, like a salad roll, like chinese chicken salad, but in a bowl with hot broth..i even do firm tofu sprinkled with seasoning salt and olive oil, grilled in george forman grill to make it crispy..kids eat it like its french fries..
    and an indian version, chopped banana, hard boiled egg, ( currypowder and tumeric infused chicken breasts shredded), sunflower seeds, on top of lettuce, scoop rice (1/2 cup) chutney, chopped oranges, maple bacon pieces, chopped cucumber, green onion, ...kids like it, eat more rice than i do, each version is clean, pretty and has lots of stuff to fill you up!
  • mommyfor3boys
    mommyfor3boys Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i was going to say the same thing with the whole wheat tortilla and beans, cheese and chicken ( I add green chilies to mine but i like spicy foods) and put it on the skillet only takes a few minutes for it to get done.. and SO good!! Add a salad and some veggies.. yummy!!