working out will working a lot!

Options
okay so my main excuse is that i work a 60 hour week and have a two year old at home. when do i find time to excercise? i need a few good workouts that are going to really burn some calories and that i can do in a short amount of time. 30 mins max. also its winter here so its hard to even get out and walk. anyone have any advice that could help me??

thanks!!

Replies

• a20gleason
    Options
    okay so my main excuse is that i work a 60 hour week and have a two year old at home. when do i find time to excercise? i need a few good workouts that are going to really burn some calories and that i can do in a short amount of time. 30 mins max. also its winter here so its hard to even get out and walk. anyone have any advice that could help me??

thanks!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    HIIT training can be done in 30 minutes (HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training). you can do it with a couple of dumbells and an open stretch of floor with a ceiling high enough to stretch your arms over your head (preferably high enough to jump, but that isn't required).

There are TONS of HIIT training routines out there. The key isn't WHAT you do, the key is how HARD you do them, and also to create a big deficit in your recovery heart rate and your intensity heart rate. Ideally the idea is to get up in the high 80's or low 90's (for more advanced people) during the high intensity portion, then recover for 1 to 3 minutes and get your hear trate back down into the low 70s or high 60s, then boost it up there again for a 1 to 3 minute period, repeat, and repeat, and repeat again.

So you could use a bike, a shadow boxing routine, dumbell routine (there are lots), a calisthenics routine, a treadmill if you have one, fast plyometrics...etc. (all these things are described if you google them). 30 minutes like this and you can burn 300 to 600 calories (depending on your fitness level, activity, and rest periods). The only drawback is that it's intense, so you should make sure you're in reasonable health before you attempt it (check with your doctor).
    If you're uncertain, you can go request a single training session from a Personal Trainer and they would be able to give you the lowdown on it and show you some routines. Most of them have plenty already made up for all levels of fitness. Or there are plenty of women's health magizines that will give basic HIIT routines (they may just call them Interval training) for starting out or moderately athletic people.
  • a20gleason
    Options
    thanks so much. i am new to this site and absolutely love it! there are so many great tools and resources here! i can already tell this is the place for me!
  • Rachael
    Rachael Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Vinyasa Power Yoga? It's really awesome and a great stress reducer. Shiva Rea has some awesome DVDs and the cool part is that you can pick the length of your practice - from 20 minutes to almost 1.5 hours and you can mix and match segments for a varied workout from the same DVD. I get them from NetFlix and if I like them, I buy them. One word of warning though, Vinyasa yoga is typically done in a heated studio (nearly 100 degrees) so when you research calories lost online, etc, the calculators typically take that into effect - you might not be burning that much at home. But it's still a tough workout :-) Good luck!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I edited it, you may want to re-read. :tongue:
  • a20gleason
    Options
    i have never tried any yoga workout. my fav has always been tae-bo but i think i'm ready for a change!
  • caribeals
    caribeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i ahev the same issue. i grab a tae-bo dvd or other cardio dvd and put it and let my 2 and 5 year olds "help" me work out. the laughing with the kids at the same time really adds to the ab workout and relieves a ton of stress! (i don't know what your weight, but when i punch in tae-bo for 45 minutes at 215 pounds, i burn about 550 cals!)
  • a20gleason
    Options
    my current weight is 240, and i also have a two year old who loves doing tae bo with mommy. its a good healthy way to spend time together. i just need to make the time to do it more often.
  • amccarville
    amccarville Posts: 185
    Options
    Jillian has the 30 Day Shred. 3-20min workouts. You could start with level 1 for a week then move on to level 2 and so on. I love this dvd.
  • a20gleason
    Options
    where can i get it? i'm willing to try anything once :smile:
  • Rachael
    Rachael Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like Tae-Bo, too. Definitely give power yoga a try. If you ever have the chance, even if just for one practice, go to a Vinyasa yoga class in a studio - just to get a feel for what it's like. You'll be amazed!
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    when it really cold out I like to sit on the couch and watch TV and eat lots of junk food
  • a20gleason
    Options
    yahhh. not so sure that strategy would work for me... thanks though :)
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    yahhh. not so sure that strategy would work for me... thanks though :)
    hay look what it's done for me
  • kevmandfl
    kevmandfl Posts: 41
    Options
    Just posting so I can read this later
    :flowerforyou: