Garmin Calculations. Are they correct?

Options
goldyray1
goldyray1 Posts: 64 Member
edited April 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I went to Garmin Connect and studied how they got their figures. This is what I found out:

Total Calories Burned:
Active Calories 722
Resting Calories 1281
Active + Resting Calories = 2003 Total Calories Burned

Adjusted Goal:
Daily Goal 1200
Active Calories 722
Daily Goal + Active Calories = 1922 Adjusted Goal

Calories Remaining:
Adjusted Goal 1922
Consumed 1362
Adjusted Goal minus Consumed = 560 remaining calories

I did over eat today. I consumed 1362 calories. (Coworkers birthday cake)

My Garmin calculates my calories burned thoughout the day. The total calories it shows up until the moment is 2003. So they are subtracting the calories used at rest (BMR) and subtracting it from the days' total calculation of calories. 2003 - 1281 - 722. The 722 is considered active calories no matter what you do, exercising, walking or whatever. Of course if you run for an hour the 722 would go higher because more calories would be burned. This 722 does include walking for one mile on my treadmill.

Is this miscalculating? If it is, please tell me what I need to do.

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    You need to look up what the word "remaining" means.

Pro tip: It means you didn't overeat.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    goldyray1 wrote: »
    I went to Garmin Connect and studied how they got their figures. This is what I found out:

Total Calories Burned:
    Active Calories 722
    Resting Calories 1281
    Active + Resting Calories = 2003 Total Calories Burned

Adjusted Goal:
    Daily Goal 1200
    Active Calories 722
    Daily Goal + Active Calories = 1922 Adjusted Goal

Calories Remaining:
    Adjusted Goal 1922
    Consumed 1362
    Adjusted Goal minus Consumed = 560 remaining calories

I did over eat today. I consumed 1362 calories. (Coworkers birthday cake)

My Garmin calculates my calories burned thoughout the day. The total calories it shows up until the moment is 2003. So they are subtracting the calories used at rest (BMR) and subtracting it from the days' total calculation of calories. 2003 - 1281 - 722. The 722 is considered active calories no matter what you do, exercising, walking or whatever. Of course if you run for an hour the 722 would go higher because more calories would be burned. This 722 does include walking for one mile on my treadmill.

Is this miscalculating? If it is, please tell me what I need to do.

Garmin isn't calculating your calorie burns, it's estimating them based on the stats you entered, your steps, heart rate...
    Those estimations are based on statistical averages, which may or may not be accurate for you.
    To find out if they're accurate, you need to monitor your weight (4 to 8 weeks) and compare it to how your weight should have theoretically evolved. (3500 calories remaining should theoretically equal 1lb of lost bodyfat)
  • goldyray1
    Options
    OMG. That sounds so complicated. Losing weight is hard enough without all of these calculations. I think I will just stay at 1200 calories a day and do my mile on the treadmill, do my yoga and forget the rest. You need a college masters to figure all of this out.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    It's not difficult. Just disconnect your Garmin from MFP, look at the numbers for fun reasons and eat the calories MFP gives you. Do log your exercise and eat back a certain number of them. That's really all there is to it. But yes, you should certainly eat more than 1200 calories if you do more than sit around all day.

The garmin watch is nice to look at. It can probably record walking tracks, can give you all sorts of numbers including calories, but these calories are just estimates that can be correct or be massively wrong. For some people this works, for others it don't.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    Based on this and the other chain you started, you seem to be really into your Garmin. Since you know what your total calories burned is, according to your Garmin, an easy way to hit the ballpark of 1lb/week would be to just subtract 500 from your total calories burned and eat that. So, your total calories burned was 2003, 2003-500=1503 <- that would be your goal to eat.

Mixing MFP math and Garmin math seems to be your problem here, so just choose one and stick with it for at least a month. If it doesn’t work, it’s time to adjust.

Now, here’s the important part. When we talk about a calorie goal, we are talking about a GOAL, not a limit. Think about it as a shooting target where that goal is the bullseye. No matter what direction you go, the farther you are from the bullseye the less points you get. Same with weight loss.

OMG, I started a reply going into the math of it all to show how she's undereating but stopped because math is hard and you came along and simplified what I was trying to simplify. :)

(And, OP, you ARE most likely undereating. Wouldn't you rather lose weight while still being able to eat more of the foods?)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Is there a reason you reported the same question? I answered you in the old thread -- did you lose track of that thread? (I've done that before!) If so, it's here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10830223/not-understanding-net-calories#latest

How much weight are you trying to lose per week? (And how much do you need/want to lose in total?) That's relevant to the answer.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    goldyray1 wrote: »
    OMG. That sounds so complicated. Losing weight is hard enough without all of these calculations. I think I will just stay at 1200 calories a day and do my mile on the treadmill, do my yoga and forget the rest. You need a college masters to figure all of this out.

It isn't though.

I think in your other thread you said you have a degree. I also have a college degree (two, actually), and neither are in nutrition. I'm also terrible at math, but I have lost at least 65 lbs and maintained it despite that.. You're making it harder than it needs to be.

By all means, keep.your Garmin because you seem to be attached to it. Disconnect it from MFP, though, because it's causing you to focus on the wrong thing and confusing you more. You seem to be determined to eat at an unhealthy calorie goal rather than just making it easier on yourself. Put your information into MFP, activity level with 1 lb a week loss, and eat to the goal MFP calculates for you (and not less!!). Try that for awhile and see where it gets you.
  • goldyray1
    Options
    I have read all of the answers to my questions. When I started this, I wanted to lose about 38 pounds. That would get me to a comfortable weight and it is also puts me on the high range of my ideal weight.
    I had lost down to my ideal weight a couple of years ago. I did use MFP and it was fairly easy. I didn't have a Fitbit or a Garmin. I did have a step counter. I lost an average of 2 pounds per week. I stayed at 1200 calories a day. I did exercise, at the time Zumba was really popular and I got into that. I did fine for several years.
    About a year ago, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I went through the trial and error period for nearly a year before they found medication that would work for me. I took prednisone for most of that time. Of course I ate everything that came my way and still wanted more, thus the extra weight now. I am off the prednisone (hopefully forever) and that is why I decided to come back to MFP.
    I purchased my Garmin and thought that between the both, I could get back into shape. I have replace Zumba with Yoga. For one thing, I am quite out of shape because of the arthritis (unable to move because of the pain), The yoga I do is very simple Yoga, for seniors. It has helped me very much.
    I also have a tread mill. I had Covid back in November and that kind of zapped me out. It did affect my breathing a little. I get out of breath really easy now. I am working at walking and the treadmill and I think I can get over that fairly soon.
    I guess my point is, I ate a little bit below the 1200 calories a day and I did fine. If I get to feeling like I need to eat more, I will eat more. Yoga is strength building so I really don't worry about losing too much muscle. My health (other than the arthritis ) is extremely good. I will soon be 67 and I have people tell me that I don't look 50. I think I take care of myself.
    I did get clarification on some things. I thank all of you.