Lose weight with no exercise?

Options
This site said I should be at 1200 calories since I am (what's that S word? LOL) Basically no exercise. I work full time up at 5:30 ( Very hard for me to do since I am NOT a morning person) out the door at 7 to drive, drop off kids and get to work at 8:30 (always late because of Traffic) and work till 5pm (sit at a desk all day bored) and off to drive and pick up kids from several places and either go to soccer practice (kids) or go home. Don't get home until somewhere between 6-7 (sometimes 8) and have to feed the kids dinner, go over their homework, dishes, laundry, showers (kids) then put them to bed. Then I have my own homework to do then bed at like 11pm to 12am....repeat.

Weekends are full of soccer games, keeping the kids occupied ( 12yr, 9yr, 6yr and 8 mo) laundry, clean house etc.

I really just don't have any alone time to add in exercise. I have ordered the Zumba fitness DVD's to hopefully find some time somewhere but I need to sleep too!

I am 5'6, 198lbs starting weight last wednesday, only weighing myself every wednesday. Any suggestions? I am overwhelmed and feel so horrible about msyelf.....I just want to be skinny again! My goal weight is 130....

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    yes you can, only a caloric deficit matters and imo 1200cals is too low to start out with
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I've only started doing proper exercise recently and most of the weight I've lost was before that when I really watched what I ate and counted calories... Given your daily schedule I'm not sure when you find time to eat!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs doing nothing but counting the calories. No exercise and didn't even pay attention to macros, sodium or anything like that. And honestly, since I started exercising (about a year ago) I've actually been struggling to figure out how much to eat of everything to keep weight off. Eating my calories, not eating my calories, the right macros, the wrong macros, what my HRM says, what my BMF says. It makes me wish the days that I was just only using MFP and ignoring everything but my calories. lol Sometimes I think I'd even quit working out if I hadn't grown to love running like I have.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Even without exercise, you will lose weight once you lower your calories. That's what I did when I started back in February. Like you, I didn't have time to exercise, so I just watched my diet. I lost several pounds before I decided to add in exercise. Now, I get up around 4:45am and do a 30-minute workout DVD before my husband & daughter wake up, that's the only 'spare' time I have! I leave for work at 6:45am and don't get home until 6:15pm, then my evening is spent getting dinner ready & getting the little one ready for bed. So I can totally relate!
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs a few years ago without exercising. It can be done, but I completely buy that getting to the point where you exercise out of habit is what helps the weight not come back (as it did for me!). Do you have a lunch break? I know a lot of people who hit the gym or walk around their building at lunch time.
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The most excercise I do is go for walks that I don't really see as execise as I've always done it so yes it can be done
  • jess213tx
    jess213tx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight, but it will come off slower than if you worked out. When you gain muscle, your body burns more fat and more calories (increased metabolic rate).

I recommend waking up 30 minutes earlier every other day and doing a short workout video (you can check one out at the library or buy one for $10 bucks at Walmart). I'm NOT a morning person either, but you'll be suprised how much more energy it gives you during the day.
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I made a goal with my dietitian that I would spend 15 minutes, 3 times a week, on my Pilates mat doing something. Because 15 minutes three times a week is better than nothing. It can also be me time. I work an intense full-time job, do freelance work when I get home and run a dog rescue (and have a husband, and friends, etc.). Sleep is vitally important to me so I can't cut an hour out of that. I totally understand where you are coming from.

But yes, you can lose weight without doing anything but counting calories. :)
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I am sure it can be done. I have added walking and do that at my lunch break(60 minutes of walking). I have lost 70 lbs. If I did not exercise I wouldnt be as firm and tone as I am. Especially losing 70 lbs, without the exercise, I know I would be very flabby. So, I am glad I worked it in daily. :smile:
  • bexxii10
    Options
    I lost 7 pounds in 6 weeks by completely counting my calories and occasionally walking to and from where I worked.
    I suppose it can be done, but as other members have suggested it is probably better to fit some little bits of exercise in where you can, eg. during lunch breaks or at home.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can lose weight without exercise. But you really can't be healthy for long without it. Our bodies are built to move. I would encourage you to find time to exercise even if it means cutting some other activity out of your or your children's schedules. This would not only help with weight loss, but it will improve your over health and teach your children good habits so that perhaps they'll never need a site like this in the future.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight w/out exercise, but it's not hard to add in exercise. I work at a desk job as well, I walk during my breaks & lunch, not to mention that I get up @ 4:15am and workout for 30-45 min in the AM before work and take a walk with my fiance in the evenings.

Try walking around the soccer fields between games, or ask to be an assistant coach and run with the kids during their warm up.
  • nmariegreen
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will keep with the calorie counting and try to spend 30 min in the am by waking up earlier using the zumba videos. Now just have to wait for them to get here.... :-)
  • agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yep, you can. I have had too much going on before and after work the past three weeks to get to the gym like I was. The first week I didn't go, I walked on the treadmill every other day, then second week once. Last week, I didn't do anything. I have continued to lose weight because I am still counting my calories like before. I just am sure to not go over my net calories.

HOWEVER, even though I'm losing weight, it's .2, .8 lb, etc. Whereas, going to the gym 2-3 times a week (doing cardio and weights) I lost 2+ lbs every week for over 2 months. When I slowed down on exercise, so did the numbers on the scale. I also feel SIGNIFICANTLY more sluggish, tired, hungry. I would recommend doing whatever physical activity you can get in for 30 minutes a 2-3 times a week to keep your metabolism up.
  • stephlake
    stephlake Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight w/out exercise, but it's not hard to add in exercise. I work at a desk job as well, I walk during my breaks & lunch, not to mention that I get up @ 4:15am and workout for 30-45 min in the AM before work and take a walk with my fiance in the evenings.

Try walking around the soccer fields between games, or ask to be an assistant coach and run with the kids during their warm up.

THIS!!!! I didnt use to like to exercise, I did not make time for it and when I did exercise I only made a weak effort. You get out of it what you put in it. Weight loss by dieting alone is a slow process, it is possible but not recommended, especially if it is not a health issue, but a time management one.
    I went to bed at 0130hrs and got up at 6am today (45min early) because I needed to be at work an hour early. The kids need sack lunches, the dog had a vet apppointment, the car needs gas, my oldest leaves for bootcamp, my 2nd oldest has Senior Personality portraits, .. the list goes on .. and thats everything I needed to do BEFORE I drive 30 minutes to work and sit down for 9 hours at 9-1-1 at 10am. Getting up earlier in theory should make me more tired, but it doesnt. The exercise fuels my day, I cleared my head and I watched the sun come up. Today it would have been very easy to say I was too busy, I encourage you to find time in your day.. Helping with soccer is a great way to start and your kids will love it. :) Good luck, you're just getting started and I hope your find the motivation to stick with it.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have also found that chasing the little one around the playground is good exercise too! If you have a park nearby, try taking the kids after dinner to burn off some energy. Not only do I get some exercise, but my toddler sleeps better at night. Bonus!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Weight loss, in my experience, is 80-90% diet (everyone is different). If you can't work out, then at least diet properly -- you will lose weight and improve your health.
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    Well, one of the truly great things about being sedentary is how _little_ exercise it takes to make a difference !

I was pretty out of shape a month ago, and one of the things that kept me from doing anything about it was the idea that it was going to take a huge effort before I could see any results. So I'd say one approach you might consider is to SET YOUR SIGHTS LOW.

When push came to shove and I decided to do something I started out by just doing a little bit of walking. Maybe 15 minutes at a time at a leisurely pace. I thought it must be good for me in some theoretical sense, but certainly not enough to matter. I was pretty surprised after a few days when I could start feeling muscles that were tighter and firmer. And then the same walk didn't take quite as long. This is small potatoes compared to a high-impact cardio routine at the gym, or training for a marathon, but the important thing is that you *feel* some actual improvement happening without having to do anything unpleasant or time-consuming or expensive or painful. The reason I never did any "real" exercise was because I didn't want any of that.

Once I felt the first little bit of improvement, I was motivated to keep it up. Zero discipline required, it was just something I enjoyed. And my overall feeling of exhaustion during the day subsided quite a bit. Hard to say how much was exercise and how much was due to my improved diet which started about the same time. Some of each, probably, but I really don't care. I like the way I feel now, I like the way I eat now, and I like getting out and walking around the neighborhood. So I don't need to struggle much to make it happen.

Now that I'm "into" walking, I find I like to squeeze a "power walk" into my lunch hour a couple times a week. My pace is up to as fast as I can go with a walking motion. I told myself I would never, ever go running again, but now I'm starting to have some doubts....

Anyway, if you're in the same boat I was, I'd say don't overlook the power of small ambitions ! See if you can wrangle the kids into taking a short walk with you. (Bribe them !) Maybe walk to the supermarket for those last-minute items. Park your car just a little farther from work.