Fair Food..... Help!

Options
I'm going to the Fair with my fiancé tonight for the first time ever. For either of us. We are both on a journey of health and wellness, but still would like to experience "the Fair." Neither of us would like to go all out or have a cheat day. What Fair food would you suggest that we sample to get the Oooo's and Ahhhhhh's, but not the calories? Is there even such a thing, or am I just dreaming? Much thanks in advance!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Getting Fair food is fun. I get what looks good and enjoy it. I get back to logging the next day. I treat vacations the same way. Enjoy foods that I normally don’t have at home and when I get back I get back to logging my food. It’s what you do the entire year and not what you do in a single day or week.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Mine and hubby’s favorite fair food are chocolate covered bananas! Frozen banana on a stick, dipped in chocolate, rolled in peanuts. We would go to the fair mostly just to get one :D I mean, funnel cakes are another fave but we would choose the bananas hands down.

Disclaimer, I have been gluten free for almost a decade so I haven’t sampled many of the more recent fair food fried trends to accurately vote. But the bananas were a fave even prior to being robbed of gluten free goodies.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Second vote for getting what you want, guilt free, and going back to the plan tomorrow. Splitting things is a good way to try more than one thing. I would choose what looks yummiest (and something I can't make or replicate myself), he chooses his yummiest, and share. And have fun!! A food fair after a year of lockdown sounds like a great night out! :heart:
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hmm...well I don't know what other fairs have and I actually haven't gone in years, but around here the thing to get is the fried fish sandwich. It just smells so good even walking up to the booth! Funnel cakes are good, too, because that is a nice item that can easily be split (and should be anyway, because they're huge!). If I don't get that, then I hit the homemade ice cream booth...
    Heh, I guess I'm probably not the person to ask about the "healthy" options. They are tasty though!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The only remotely healthy option I have ever seen at a fair is the roasted turkey leg.

That being said, take a look around, see what appeals to you and split it. You will be walking it off, anyway.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Now is the time to remember that excess food eaten goes to waste every bit as much as uneaten food.

I get what I want, eat a couple bites and toss it in the first trash can I come to.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the above. Eat what looks good that you can’t or won’t make at home, can’t get at a local place. A couple of bites, and done.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,134 Member
    Options
    Y'know, I love those lemonade made with big ol' fresh lemon halves put in the cup, and the fries with vinegar. But elephant ears with custard . . . .

I'm in the "enjoy the experience" camp. No need to eat every bit of everything you buy, but walk around and look, then try a bit of what looks most appealing. Savor the experience. Fairs are a chance to eat crazy food, some of which is ambrosia, some pure cr*p. If you don't like it, toss it. If you adore it, eat every bit.

It's a rare day, a day to enjoy. The majority of our days determine the majority of our progress. The exceptions are . . . fun, if we let them be so.

Enjoy it, report back, let us know what you tried, what you thought!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Corn on the cob? Pretzels? Fruit on a Stick? Italian ices or frozen yogurt Not many 'oooos and ahhhs' from these things though...

Funnel Cakes? Deep fried 'anything'...run away🤣

Maybe go out for dinner after or before and select one treat at the fair- whatever you want and share it