New & intermittent fasting!

Options
Hey!
So I’ve used MyFitnessPal for a while, admittedly on & off because unlike literally everyone else - when I see progress I don’t think of it as motivation to carry on but I see it as “oh yay I can have a donut” aaaaand then we’re right back into the bad routine lol!
But recently I’ve decided to try intermittent fasting due to finding it hard to be an a routine of eating well through the day as I work night shift & so I’m piling on the pounds again!
I’m trying the 16:8, my 8 “eating hours” being 16:00 to 00:00.
3 days in & all seems to be going well! However I am open to any tips/tricks as to how to stay this motivated :)

Replies

• AuthorMatthewV
    AuthorMatthewV Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hey, good luck with the fasting. I’ve tried it in the past and really struggled due to my work and family schedules. I didn’t find I was that much hungrier during the evening.

Keep at it and make it your daily routine. Keep us updated!
  • Isabelisik
    Isabelisik Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been doing if and somedays omad on and off, depending on my schedule, for over a year. I find it very easy and i think it definitely works.
    Coffee is my biggest supporter, if you dont like coffee, you can go with green tea or any tea actually, ofcourse with no sugar 😊 keeping yourself busy is the key during the fasting time. After a while you just dont feel like eating anyways.. however, in my opinion, dont forget to give yourself a break now and then, like a nice breakfast/brunch on every other Sunday 😁
    You will do it 💪💪
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've been fasting for quite some time & quite happily do 19/5 or 20/4. I use an app called Fastic tho there's plenty of others out there. I just feel so much better doing this. I eat from 15.00 to 19.00 or 20.00 & do my workouts fasted. I'm 62.
  • xchloehamilton
    xchloehamilton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @yellowsnowdrop wow! 20:4 sounds amazing but at the minute what I struggle with most is fitting my three meals into 8 hours so I imagine squeezing them into 4 would be difficult! I chose 16:00 to 00:00 due to my work schedule & sleeping once I finish work in the mornings. So far so good, but would love to cut down my eating hours. Thanks for the advice! I’ll download the app and have a look 😁
  • xchloehamilton
    Options
    @Isabelisik I’m finding it okay at the minute, albeit only three days but I feel like I’ve got a good routine going! Though this is my first night off work since I started & because I didn’t sleep for as long today I feel like I was hungrier earlier than I usually would be! But I stuck it out until 4 o’clock anyway lol🤗
    Will try with coffee from here on out, I wasn’t too sure before as I’d read online that only water was best for fasting hours🙊

Thanks for your advice!
  • xchloehamilton
    Options
    @AuthorMatthewV aw really! I feel like this will work for me with my work schedule - though tonight is my first night off since I started & I did feel hungrier earlier than I usually would today so I’ll have to try curb that in future!🙈
    Thanks for your support🤗
  • NacaMDI
    NacaMDI Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I have just started intermitentna diet too, 16/8...so far so good. I use "Fasting tracker" , just because it feels good when it tells you you are doing good job lol.
  • Freddi_O
    Freddi_O Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    So I’ve used MyFitnessPal for a while, admittedly on & off because unlike literally everyone else - when I see progress I don’t think of it as motivation to carry on but I see it as “oh yay I can have a donut” aaaaand then we’re right back into the bad routine lol!
    But recently I’ve decided to try intermittent fasting due to finding it hard to be an a routine of eating well through the day as I work night shift & so I’m piling on the pounds again!
    I’m trying the 16:8, my 8 “eating hours” being 16:00 to 00:00.
    3 days in & all seems to be going well! However I am open to any tips/tricks as to how to stay this motivated :)

Hi there, very similar boat to yourself as far as on/off relationship with MFP. Also when I was able to get to peak fitness a few years back with calorie counting and HIIT, I held off pretty well, but work stress, wedding planning and the pandemic meant huge changes to my fitness regime... Here we are!

I started intermittent fasting on the 10th of April and I'm combining it with carb cycling where low-carb/high-fat days are more like Keto days. I use coffee/tea/water during my fasts. So far, on high-fat days, I tend to be okay with hunger. High-carb days definitely trigger more of an insulin spike and leave me more hungry the following day. I also exercise on high-carb days and plan to take every other Saturday/Sunday off, with OMAD thrown in occasionally until I hit my goal. Currently using the Fastic app to track, no complaints so far.