How to figure calories per pizza slice from local pizza chain?

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

OP said the slices at the local pizza place were square, so I assumed it was a rectangular pizza -- not a circle of dough, but dough formed into a rectangle. I don't think I've ever seen a pizzeria slice a circular pizza into square slices. The sides are the edges. A*B is the formula for the area of a rectangle (four-sided figure whose edges all meet in right angles), where A is the length and B is the width (or vice versa ;-)

I've never seen square cut pizza come from anything other than a round pizza? Even little ceasars, pizza hut, dominoes, etc... If you order a square cut pizza.....its from a round pizza. You end up with a few triangles too
    Little Caesar's:

635597918749441007-XXX-Little-Caesar-.JPG
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »
    If you find an entry for a large-chain equivalent-style thin crust pizza that you trust (checked against chain's website, or with many user confirmations),

X/Y (A*B)

where X = the number of slices you ate
    Y = the number of slices in your total pizza
    A = one side of your rectangular pizza
    B = the other side of your rectangular pizza
    Z = the number of total slices in the chain pizza
    pi = 3.14
    r-squared = the square of the radius of the chain pizza (e.g., 36 for a 12-inch circular pizza, 64 for a 16-inch circular pizza, etc.)

Equation will yield the number of servings of the chain pizza (assuming the serving is one slice) that you should log.

You made my head hurt.LOL.

+1. But I still wish I could figure it out. Or at least new what a "rectangular pizza" is, let alone its sides.

OP said the slices at the local pizza place were square, so I assumed it was a rectangular pizza -- not a circle of dough, but dough formed into a rectangle. I don't think I've ever seen a pizzeria slice a circular pizza into square slices. The sides are the edges. A*B is the formula for the area of a rectangle (four-sided figure whose edges all meet in right angles), where A is the length and B is the width (or vice versa ;-)

It's a thing that even the chains have picked up in the last year or so - must have been getting a lot of requests for it, I guess.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I take the calories for the thickest, butter laden style pizza i can and use that.

Pizza here always looks like ->
    10706896_511614228975922_588263807_n.jpg

Kinda hard to tell but usually it is SUPER thin and crispy (the "crust" you see is likely hollow and crisp") with little cheese.

I use the calories for a pizza hut/dominos monstrosity like this->
    pizza-hut-pizza1.jpg?w=300&h=225

Just to be safe.

Better to over than under estimate IMO
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    I like NY style pizza. Therefore, I weigh it and look for an entry of New York Style Pizza.
    However, Margherita Pizza from Costco is only about 400 calories for almost half a pizza... doesn't taste the same but it works for me. :)
  • absoluttalent
    absoluttalent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I should've specified. It was a round pizza thin crust cut into squares. Chicago pizza places have been doing that for as long as I can remember. The only pizza that comes naturally in triangles are the ones from the national chains, anything thick crust/double dough, and any Chicago style deep dish (which I miss like crazy). Thin crust always round pie with square pieces
    That's how we like it round these parts dagnabit
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I should've specified. It was a round pizza thin crust cut into squares. Chicago pizza places have been doing that for as long as I can remember. The only pizza that comes naturally in triangles are the ones from the national chains, anything thick crust/double dough, and any Chicago style deep dish (which I miss like crazy). Thin crust always round pie with square pieces

I would use this calorie calculator from Domino's: https://www.dominos.com/en/pages/content/nutritional/cal-o-meter.jsp

Their thin crust pizza is a round pizza cut in squares, so it should be pretty equitable.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    This is from a fairly famous St. Louis pizza place - the super thin crust, round pizza but cut into rectangles, with provel cheese instead of mozzerella is St. Louis style pizza. ETA that the edges have some triangles in them too... yeah geometry!

ls.jpg

Love St. Louis style!

In staying on topic I'm doing the same as most. Last one was 2 pizza Hut slices for the one local thin crust, at least the toppings looked the same.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options

I think it's a Midwest thing. I'm originally from Noo Yawk, so I was horrified to discover that yes, they cut thin crust circular pies that start out 18" across into tiny squares around 3" to a side. They're messy to eat. SMH.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you find an entry for a large-chain equivalent-style thin crust pizza that you trust (checked against chain's website, or with many user confirmations),

X/Y (A*B)

pi = 3.14
    r-squared = the square of the radius of the chain pizza (e.g., 36 for a 12-inch circular pizza, 64 for a 16-inch circular pizza, etc.)

Equation will yield the number of servings of the chain pizza (assuming the serving is one slice) that you should log.

+1. But I still wish I could figure it out. Or at least new what a "rectangular pizza" is, let alone its sides.

Donatos cuts round pizzas into square shapes. It leaves little triangle pieces here and there, but it's more pieces (smaller, but more) for people at work to share. Most pizza places do the old cuts, forming big triangles, though. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I take the calories for the thickest, butter laden style pizza i can and use that.

Pizza here always looks like ->
    10706896_511614228975922_588263807_n.jpg

Kinda hard to tell but usually it is SUPER thin and crispy (the "crust" you see is likely hollow and crisp") with little cheese.

I use the calories for a pizza hut/dominos monstrosity like this->
    pizza-hut-pizza1.jpg?w=300&h=225

Just to be safe.

Better to over than under estimate IMO

Yeah I had a pizza this week with a super thin crust and had no idea what entry to use.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I just look for big chains that have a similar style of pizza and guess.

This
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options

Oh, well then, you're on your own. I'll tell you one thing, though: a per-slice calorie count for a round pizza cut into "squares" (except edge slices won't be squares anyway) is pretty meaningless, because the slices aren't the same size, so they can't all have the same calories. You need a calorie count based on weight. I don't even see a calorie count based on a quarter of the pizza, like the Dominos calculator linked by acheben, doing you any good, because in the pictures people are posting of round pizzas cut in squares, there are no cuts that delineate an easily eye-balled quarter of a pizza.

On a personal note: yuck. What do people hold those sad little squares by, when so many of the pieces don't have the natural handle created by the edge? This needs to be stopped! First they take away the edges. Next thing you know, they're coming for my pepperoni.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

X/Y (A*B)

pi = 3.14

Donatos cuts round pizzas into square shapes. It leaves little triangle pieces here and there, but it's more pieces (smaller, but more) for people at work to share. Most pizza places do the old cuts, forming big triangles, though. :)

So what you're saying is that this evil idea was hatched by employers trying to look generous by treating the workers to pizza, then sneakily asking the pizza place to cut the pies into squares so they can get off cheap by buying fewer pies. "Hey, there were three pieces for everybody!" (Notice that pizzas are "pies." Whoever heard of cutting a pie into squares. This must be stopped!)
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    They cut round pizza into squares??? Why??? I'm so confused
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I'm guessing they are sort of wobbly and if it was a triangle the tip would droop and get cheese everywhere or something.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »

I'm guessing they are sort of wobbly and if it was a triangle the tip would droop and get cheese everywhere or something.

The St Louis style crust is really crispy like a cracker. So it's not because of the wobbliness. I don't know the origin of it but it is tasty and I think it keeps the calorie count and carbs down (if you're watching those which I'm not). Growing up I never ate my crusts so the thin crust cut in squares totally appeals to my inner picky child..

I'm pretty sure the OP has moved on but if anyone else is trying to figure out how to log those I would use A chain that does the same: Donato's or Imo's sounds like your best bet.

• djb535
    djb535 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »

X/Y (A*B)

pi = 3.14

I feel like I should have paid attention more in school.. It's like one of those word problems that would come up on a test.

Anyways. As the others have said. Find something similar in the database and go from there.

A typical parlor pizza is 14 inches in diameter. From geometry that is 154 square inches (or 154 pieces of pizza that 1inch by 1 inch). A 14 inch pizza has a total of 2280 calories on average. If cut in 8 slices, that is 285 calories per slice on average. Doing the math, you can estimate that for every square inch (1inch long by 1 inch wide) you are eating 15 calories. (11 calories for thin crust, 19 cals for thick or Sicilian crust). Using 15 calories for one square inch helps since pizza slices come in sizes (jumbo, large, small slices). Take a peak at a ruler, and use your thumb or finger width to estimate this length. Since a slice is a triangle...just do your best (unless you are a geometry nerd 1/2 base x height. Uggh). 15 calories per 1 inch square.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    Check out online chain calculators for similar type pizza.

Calculate calories per gram based on weight indicated.

Weigh the pizza you're eating.

You won't be perfect; but you will be close enough
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    This thread was from 2015, so it's likely OP isn't concernrd about it anymore..
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Check out online chain calculators for similar type pizza.

Calculate calories per gram based on weight indicated.

Weigh the pizza you're eating.

You won't be perfect; but you will be close enough

This is what I'd do.

A local pizza place also sells frozen pizza in local supermarkets, and has calories and grams on the package. We're using a different pizza place now because it is now closer (and cheaper) but they are very similar so use the values for the Cape Cod Cafe pizza.