Anyone else finding MFP annoying

Options
derbygraham
derbygraham Posts: 47 Member
For the most part, I am a big fan of MFP. It has helped me drop 10kg in 80 days. However I do have one gripe and wondered if I was alone :)

I load up the page, and a moment before I click on something, the screen readjusts itself and I end up clicking on something else. I guess it readjusts itself when it loads up a picture for the add that appears at the top of the page.

There, it is now off my chest. :)

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Are we talking about phone, tablet or computer? And which browser are you using? Have you tried a different browser? I get what you describe with pretty much every website on my iPhone, using safari, but no problems with firefox.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    A lot of websites do this. I bet it is planned that way.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I load up the page, and a moment before I click on something, the screen readjusts itself and I end up clicking on something else. I guess it readjusts itself when it loads up a picture for the add that appears at the top of the page.

Yes, this annoys me too.
    What I find annoying is some foods that I eat frequently never show up in my recent foods or frequent foods. I can go back to when I had it & transfer, tho, or look up in recipes. There, off my chest, too, lol.

And this! If I logged it for dinner last night and tonight I'm having the leftovers, it should be in my recent, but somehow it's not.

Having to wade through a ton of irrelevant entries when searching for a specific food. Like I could be searching "porridge oats" and get "salmon cheddar bake". Whyyyyyyy?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Yes, happens to me all the time, and I agree with Liz--it's intentional to get you to click on something else by mistake. Therefore I am careful, which is not a bad thing.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    What I find annoying is some foods that I eat frequently never show up in my recent foods or frequent foods. I can go back to when I had it & transfer, tho, or look up in recipes. There, off my chest, too, lol.

I need to get it off my chest too. I find in the frequent and the recent lists, foods that I have not eaten in 6 months, but the ones that I eat more frequently are gone. What's up MFP???

And I also have the same problem as @derbygraham and everybody else. On top of that, the font keeps being small, and those pesty windows telling me to join Premium and if accept cookies keep popping up every time that I open the website in my PC.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

I remember the day coffee went from being my #1 most frequent food to not being anywhere on my frequent list, even though I was still logging it every day. It still shows up on my recent list, though.
    There, got that one off my chest too. What a therapeutic thread,
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The ad loading thing is probably going to drive me to pay for premium one day. Not because I think I'll get access to some great features, but to get rid of an annoyance.

What bugs me on my PC I can't search my list of recent foods, which I can on the Android app.

What bugs me on the Android app is how I can't select and add multiple recent foods to my diary at once, like I can on the PC.

A bit of consistency would be lovely.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,739 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

Yes, this annoys me too.

And this! If I logged it for dinner last night and tonight I'm having the leftovers, it should be in my recent, but somehow it's not.

Having to wade through a ton of irrelevant entries when searching for a specific food. Like I could be searching "porridge oats" and get "salmon cheddar bake". Whyyyyyyy?
    Sounds like they stole their search algorithm from Amazon Fresh (don't get me started).

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I would like to get in on the therapy here. When a saved meal (that I have previously used numerous times) is suddenly missing a key ingredient. So I attempt to "replace existing meal," but it is not listed as existing. When I try to "save as a new meal" using the identical name, it says name already exists choose another name. What gives?
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I tried to comment on this thread and it got stuck in moderation or something, idk?

But regarding recent foods: check how you have your sorting algorithm set up. On the desktop site, when you go to add a food to your diary, on that first screen you go to before searching anything there's a tiny drop-down way over to the right that says "Sort by:" and the options are Name or Default. Name is alphabetical A-Z, Default is reverse-chronological (most recent first). You probably want Default, I don't know why anyone would need an alphabetical list that you can't search in real-time. Also see if you have your list filtered by meal, right below the search box it says "Show your favorites for" and then you can choose the current meal you're adding a food to or All Meals, if you're trying to log last night's dinner leftovers for lunch (for instance). In the Android app, there's a button right below the search bar that you can tap to change your sort and filter settings the same way. I assume the iOS app is similar but I don't have an iPhone.
  • eileenscott1929
    eileenscott1929 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My gripe is of a different kind. I use Laptop and I -pad and they both sync. Sometimes though the I-pad is missing the wee red dot beside the item so I can't delete it. It comes and goes but is a nuisance
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I do have mine set for default & all meals. I usually either log on desktop or I-pad. A lot of times my recent won't come up at all, so I click on frequent & then back on recent & they will show then. The ones that never show are my daily coffee with creamer & sugar, and a few baked items which I eat for a few days in a row, but I can go to my recipes to find them. But all in all, I am not really complaining...it is a free site, lol.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    DD265 wrote: »
    The ad loading thing is probably going to drive me to pay for premium one day. Not because I think I'll get access to some great features, but to get rid of an annoyance.
    It's lovely when plans work according to plan!
    DD265 wrote: »
    What bugs me on my PC I can't search my list of recent foods, which I can on the Android app. What bugs me on the Android app is how I can't select and add multiple recent foods to my diary at once, like I can on the PC. A bit of consistency would be lovely.
    You got to be **kittening** me! You're trying to suck out all the spontaneous randomness of using software!

Like when one user could look up their info for x amount of days back, another could look at their info for y amount of days back, and the guy who could do x one day would only be able to do z on another! It was like a lottery!
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    I would like to get in on the therapy here. When a saved meal (that I have previously used numerous times) is suddenly missing a key ingredient. So I attempt to "replace existing meal," but it is not listed as existing. When I try to "save as a new meal" using the identical name, it says name already exists choose another name. What gives?
    You mean you could EVER find a saved meal in order to edit it?
    These high expectations just **have** to stop!
    For the most part, I am a big fan of MFP. I guess it readjusts itself when it loads up a picture for the ad that appears at the top of the page.
    .... and to stop the ads you can all sign up for premium! Win-Win!

Oh well. I always did wonder how come many people on the forums would mention they were no longer logging on MFP.... just under 6 years in, I joined them! :wink:

Bonus points: The forums only glitch occasionally! :joy:

That said: the recently logged list whether alphabetically sorted or by recent use, is actually well implemented compared to many other food logging sites And it's not like any other piece of complex and evolving web/phone software is glitch free!
  • ufoxylady3902
    ufoxylady3902 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am very frustrated because I feel MFP is attempting to bully me into going premium. I am on a fixed income and cannot afford to go premium. Is there a way to I get the unwanted premium advertisements off my page, so I can actually see if I want to continue using the app. At this point I feel the app is very frustrating and not user friendly. The ads prevent me from documenting food or using the bar code. Even if I could afford it, I would never consider going premium at this point. This highhanded approach may work for some but is very off-putting for me. I used this app years ago and did not have these issues. Why is there no customer service number? Is there another low carb app someone can recommend? Help!!!!!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I have never used the app version, only ever the browser version, even on my phone and tablet. I don't seem to be inundated with ads for premium, I just get the normal banner ads at the top and right side which I've learned to tune out.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I don't like the new format in the website. I don't have the app so I can judge it. But the display in the Community section totally turns me off. I think that this is the first time that I post a comment in several months. Rant over.