Is this good news or bad news??

Options
Mangoperson88
Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
edited April 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I am not enjoying eating anymore. It's become very boring. I eat too fast like I want to get it over it, like I just can't be in the moment and eat with all my senses blah blah. I'm not pregnant or anything lol but the weather is awfully hot BUT that's never affected my appetite before. What do I take it as? Should I feel relief that I don't wanna stuff my face or is it bad? Confused! Help!

Replies

• Mangoperson88
    Options
    I don't feel like doing either. I eat healthy though, not undereating or anything. It's just that I have lost interest in food but I have to force myself to eat and not skip meals or eat less or I'll end up binging. It's just becoming a bit of a pain frankly.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Are you going through a super stressful or turbulent time? The only time this ever happened to me, and I really really love food, was when I was dealing with a lot of bad stuff. I'm an emotional eater, so it had to be really bad for me to lose interest. If that applies to you, I would say it's neither good news or bad news but a reflection that your brain is focusing cognitive & emotional resources on other more pressing stuff. Take care of yourself with adequate nutrition and sleep, and maybe some gentle cardio (does wonders for stress), and take care of what needs your attention in your life. Once you make some progress resolving whatever is going on, I bet your appetite and interest in food will return.

If this is happening separate and apart from anything significant happening in your life, I have no perspective or experience from which to comment. Maybe someone else will jump in to comment.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    No one can tell you how you "should" feel. Feel what you feel. However, you should continue to eat whether it's exciting or not, because your body requires calories and like you said, if you don't eat you'll be more likely to binge. Try not to binge.

Try this occasionally: make each meal "special". Set the table, put a fresh flower in a vase, fancy fold a napkin, put cold water in a wine glass, put on good music and imagine you're somewhere awesome.... or pack your food, hike somewhere pretty, and have a picnic while enjoying the outdoors. If you can't find any interest in food, make the atmosphere more interesting until you get to a point where your mind recognizes food as delicious fuel.
  • Mangoperson88
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Are you going through a super stressful or turbulent time? The only time this ever happened to me, and I really really love food, was when I was dealing with a lot of bad stuff. I'm an emotional eater, so it had to be really bad for me to lose interest. If that applies to you, I would say it's neither good news or bad news but a reflection that your brain is focusing cognitive & emotional resources on other more pressing stuff. Take care of yourself with adequate nutrition and sleep, and maybe some gentle cardio (does wonders for stress), and take care of what needs your attention in your life. Once you make some progress resolving whatever is going on, I bet your appetite and interest in food will return.

If this is happening separate and apart from anything significant happening in your life, I have no perspective or experience from which to comment. Maybe someone else will jump in to comment.

Stress or no stress-that has never affected my eating. Yeah I do get occasional bouts of insomnia but never had a problem in not enjoying food. I do exercise because I really enjoy it. It's just suddenly since the past week the whole idea of eating is putting me off.
  • Mangoperson88
    Options
    No one can tell you how you "should" feel. Feel what you feel. However, you should continue to eat whether it's exciting or not, because your body requires calories and like you said, if you don't eat you'll be more likely to binge. Try not to binge.

Try this occasionally: make each meal "special". Set the table, put a fresh flower in a vase, fancy fold a napkin, put cold water in a wine glass, put on good music and imagine you're somewhere awesome.... or pack your food, hike somewhere pretty, and have a picnic while enjoying the outdoors. If you can't find any interest in food, make the atmosphere more interesting until you get to a point where your mind recognizes food as delicious fuel.

That sounds like a great tip and I hope it helps slow me down because I eat really fast. In fact I have to switch on the telly(not a big fan) to slow my pace.
  • Mangoperson88
    Options
    Tbh I haven't been paying too much attention to figure out the taste or smell coz I'm genuinely that fed up of eating
    I'm vegetarian and I eat a variety of veggies and do nibble on a piece of chocolate here and there but we're in a month long lockdown here so can't order from outside but I don't care about junk either.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Tbh I haven't been paying too much attention to figure out the taste or smell coz I'm genuinely that fed up of eating
    I'm vegetarian and I eat a variety of veggies and do nibble on a piece of chocolate here and there but we're in a month long lockdown here so can't order from outside but I don't care about junk either.

I hope you're getting some protein and fat. That's not something to mess with, poor nutrition.

If you're depressed that can cause lack of hunger. Do you think you're depressed?
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options

Having no appetite can be a sign of Covid - I'd suggest you watch out for other symptoms and/or take a test.

• Mangoperson88
    Options

I hope you're getting some protein and fat. That's not something to mess with, poor nutrition.

If you're depressed that can cause lack of hunger. Do you think you're depressed?

I have been depressed forever but has never affected my appetite and I don't have other symptoms of covid I'm perfectly healthy
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the same things over and over? Maybe you're just bored with what you're eating. Have you tried anything new lately...new recipes, new takeout, new products..or some kind of cuisine you haven't tried before? I find that I get bored when I make the same things a few times in a row because they're easy, but then I don't feel like eating those things.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    If you are depressed this could just be a new way that it's manifesting itself. I, too, go through periods of depression and have mild anxiety, and it's never affected my appetite either, although I guess if left untreated it possibly could. At one time I had kinda wished I had that symptom, but when anxious and depressed I tend to eat MORE to mask those feelings.

However, if you find yourself stuck in a rut with what you've been eating, maybe it's time to branch out, explore new recipes, foods, etc.? I personally love trying out new recipes, especially healthier ones, and it keeps me excited about eating healthy, I guess. I also personally like to enjoy what I'm eating and if I don't, I typically won't bother.