Bread

Options
Some say eat it, some say stay away from it.... what do you guys say? I love bread, but I find it has so many calories! And on a day when I cant fit in a workout.. it certainly adds up... what is the best kind? (in terms of calories and nutritional benefits)?

Replies

• ladyluck5210
    ladyluck5210 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use Sara Lee 45 calorie bread! Saved my life!!
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I love bread, this is real life...why cut stuff of your healthy diet that you love? That's my attitude. Eat properly and exercise and just live a normal life :)

And I buy what is on sale! lol I just pay more attention to my calories when I eat it
  • lilybug13
    Options
    Try bagel thins or sandwich rounds. Still get the satisfaction of bread with out the massive calories.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My opinion. Don't eat it at all if you are trying to lose weight. I cut bread out my diet (along with processed food) and the weight dropped off me relatively quickly.
  • repawn
    Options
    I used to eat bread all the time - now I am a bit more careful. When I do eat it I choose Oroweat Healthful 10 Grain Bread - it is 80 calories a slice but has 8g fiber and 10g protein. I eat maybe 4-6 slices a week and it easily fits into my calorie goal.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I like bread that is full of grains and seeds. Yes, it has calories, but that's fuel for my body so I just factor it in to my calorie allowance.
    I don't eat bread every day - but I usually have a slice of bread or an English muffin with peanut butter before I go running, or I slice of grainy bed with pb for an afternoon snack.
    My current favourite is Helgas quinoa and flaxseed bread, 100 cals per slice.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It is delicious and I couldn't imagine life with out it!

I really enjoy mini baguettes that I bake from the freezer; they are portion controlled, which is a life saver.
    My favorite breads are whatever the bakery is making, sliced thin. I have been getting pumpernickel lately.
    I make my sandwiches on one slice of bread if I don't want a lot of carbs at that time, or don't have a lot of calories left.
    Sometimes we will honey wheat, although I feel like that is just white bread with a tan.
    I use low carb- high fiber tortillas often as well.
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Well i just finished a peanut butter and jelly sandwich soo..... :wink:
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    My opinion. Don't eat it at all if you are trying to lose weight. I cut bread out my diet (along with processed food) and the weight dropped off me relatively quickly.

So what is going to happen when you start to eat normally again? You're not going to have the knowledge of the food that you're putting in your mouth! This is real life! Why cut stuff out? Why not just learn how to incorporate it into your life properly? I'm not trying to be a nasty pants, I just dont understand this concept...I'm doing this for the long haul, not just till the weight drops off so I can just regain it.

I agree that processed foods are the devil, but bread?
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

I think the key of what you did is cutting out processed foods...they are laden with carbs and sodium. I find that the cleaner I eat, the better I feel.
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i am one of those that cant live without my bread... natures own makes some that is 40 cal a slice.. white, nine grain, and wheat
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    I use Sara Lee 45 calorie bread! Saved my life!!

this!! very yummy. i prefer the whole wheat variety.
  • ramblingirl
    Options
    I am the same way. I LOVE bread. I love all kinds of bread and love eating it with pasta. I have always incorporated it in with my diet and have always struggled with my weight. Now I am eating it less (about once a week) and am losing weight effortlessly. I am eating veg, fruit and lean protein. Substituting agave nectar for sugar. It must be a blood sugar thing for me. I am losing 1-3 lbs a week. I feel great! My husband was eating a slice of pizza in front of me (one of my favorite foods) but I was enjoying my chicken and vegetables so much that I didn't even want to reach over a steal a bite!

That said, I think its one of those things that may work for some but not others. It has given me success where I have struggled in the past. If this is you.....try to limit the bread intake and see how you do!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I love Thomas's whole wheat bagle thins and light style whole grain, Thomas's sahara pitas and Mission low carb whole wheat tortilla. I have lost all the weight I wanted and still have my carbs. I just have smaller portions and found better choices for full calorie and carb breads and pasta. You don't have to give anything up.:flowerforyou:
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I can't live without bread. I just work it into my daily calories and macronutrients. I love whole grain nutty breads!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I eat this:

__PAINMULTICEREALES_215.jpg

not that

harry-s-REF6678C_38.jpg

I don't see any problem with bread as long as it's not the sugar-loaded processed kind.
  • ramblingirl
    Options
    I think the key of what you did is cutting out processed foods...they are laden with carbs and sodium. I find that the cleaner I eat, the better I feel.
    [/quote]

Completely agree!!
  • gsenriquez
    gsenriquez Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I eat Orowheat 100% whole Wheat Thin sandwich (100 cals) or they also have 100 % whole wheat mini thin sandwich (50 cals). I get my bread fix and I don't need to sacrifice a lot of calories. I am used to eating it and it makes me feel full.
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options

So what is going to happen when you start to eat normally again? You're not going to have the knowledge of the food that you're putting in your mouth! This is real life! Why cut stuff out? Why not just learn how to incorporate it into your life properly? I'm not trying to be a nasty pants, I just dont understand this concept...I'm doing this for the long haul, not just till the weight drops off so I can just regain it.

I've also cut back alot on bread and if I do have it, I try to go for wholemeal. But it's no different to a vegetarian giving up meat - there is no law saying we have to eat bread or unhealthy processed foods!! I have realised that bread and some processed food (mainly sweet cakey type foods) is what got me so unhealthy in the first place and several attempts to lose weight without cutting it out were unsuccessful as the cravings for these foods were always there. Now I don't eat them, I have lost the taste for them and don't want them anymore and feel better for it. I don't intend to start eating them again, even when I reach my goal weight, so for me, I am eating normally. This is the real life, these foods are not part of mine any more, just like meat is not part of a vegetarians. What is wrong with trying to eat healthily?
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee 45 calories bread
    Wonderbread Smartwheat is 50 calories a slice and tastes awesome and is usually cheaper than the Sara Lee