Nutrition tips and tricks?

Options
5k_everyday_365
5k_everyday_365 Posts: 12 Member
edited April 2021 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everyone! Does anyone have any nutrition tips and tricks?

Replies

• LtHammerhead
    LtHammerhead Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Find a healthy snack. I love baby carrots and keep a bag handy.
    Don’t buy stuff you shouldn’t eat. If you’re going to indulge, make it purposeful.
    Drink lots of water.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Log everything and review each day to see how you did with your goals.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    80-90% of your calories from nutrient dense foods, the rest from whatever. At least 5, preferably more, servings of veggies and fruit a day.

All within your calorie budget.
  • TinaLeigh67
    TinaLeigh67 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Try vegetables a couple of different ways before you decide you "don't like them." Sometimes a vegetable that we find gross in one form is delicious when prepared another way.

So true! Never thought I would love asparagus and brussels sprouts but I do!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Vegetables bulk up everything! Ex: I made spaghetti, but had very few noodles. The rest was noodles, broccoli, and carrot/peas, and topped with meat sauce. Use fruit or crunchy veg as snacks paired with protein. Big salads. Try lots of different preparations: saute, roasted, steamed, etc.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    People become unnecessarily obsessed with nutrition. Much of the World does just fine eating poorly balanced diets of rice and beans or rice and seafood protein and the narrowest of green vegetable choices. For an adult not recovering from illness or injury it barely matters as long as it isn't all sugar, preservatives and artificial flavors.
  • TinaLeigh67
    TinaLeigh67 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash. Most times I will use it in place of pasta when making spaghetti for my son and I. It's a nice alternative if you don't have the calories to use.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Frozen vegetables are (1) just as delicious and nutritious as fresh ones (seriously, if you grew up eating canned veggies and think you hate vegetables, give frozen a try - it's a whole new world), (2) an easy way to add a vegetable to your meal, and (3) last eons longer than fresh produce.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Frozen vegetables are (1) just as delicious and nutritious as fresh ones (seriously, if you grew up eating canned veggies and think you hate vegetables, give frozen a try - it's a whole new world), (2) an easy way to add a vegetable to your meal, and (3) last eons longer than fresh produce.

I very much agree with this. Vegetables are flash frozen today, far better than 50 years ago. And, one does not have to follow instructions on the package. A light steaming or tossing in a skillet with butter and garlic can go a long way to improving frozen veges.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Along with doing your best to get in your vitamins with food, take a multivitamin each day to help fill in any gaps. The only macro I pay attention to is protein. I always make sure I get my protein. Everything else pretty much takes care of itself.
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest tips that's helped me is the mindset of "eat your colors". I'm not sure where I saw or heard that, but ever since it's made me very mindful when planning out meals and has helped me start incorportating more veggies into my diet!
    Also, prepping when I can has been very helpful for me. Having snacks already sliced out/portioned/etc has been really helpful in making nutritious choices instead of reaching for junk when I just want something quick.