Weight keeps spiking up

Since February, just 2 months ago, I've put on 5-6 lbs. Every day my weight keeps spiking up and i'm not sure where to go from here/how to go about losing this weight. i'm looking to lose around 8-9 lbs, but seem to be binging lots at nighttime and don't know how to break the habit.
any tips? to lose the weight, to stop the binging and overeating, etc?

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited April 2021
    Good advice above! Also, are you using a weight trending app? Sometimes natural fluctuations can psych me out. I remember the highs more than the lows and think I’m gaining when the trend is actually on target. Statistically speaking, trend weights are more meaningful than isolated weight data points.

ETA: also, it’s harder to see slow loss amid fluctuations, so trend app helps with that too. Good luck
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2021
    Lots of questions:

What does "spiking up" mean in hard numbers?

Weight constantly trending up or just fluctuating day to day?
    If trending up - for how long and by how much?

Are you familiar with your normal patterns of weight fluctuations?

Did you pick a fast rate of weight loss or make dramatic changes to your diet?
    (Over-restriction is often one half of a binge/restrict cycle and can be easier to break that side of the vicious circle.)

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Since February, just 2 months ago, I've put on 5-6 lbs. Every day my weight keeps spiking up and i'm not sure where to go from here/how to go about losing this weight. i'm looking to lose around 8-9 lbs, but seem to be binging lots at nighttime and don't know how to break the habit.
    any tips? to lose the weight, to stop the binging and overeating, etc?

What comes to mind for me is that you selected an overly aggressive weekly weight loss goal. With less than 10 pounds to lose, anything over a half pound per week would be too aggressive for you. Does this resonate at all with you?

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    I struggle with bingeing in the evening. I do best when I eat my dinner late, even if that means I have to push through a little hunger at another point in the day (nothing drastic, just a little hold off). I also save 150 calories for a snack before bed . It HELPS, but if you're anything like me, it's a little trickier than just changing a couple things.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I think the first step is identifying the "why" behind the binging at night. As others have said, it could be that your calorie deficit is too aggressive, causing you to make up for that (and more) in the evenings. I used to do this.

It could also be related to non-food/nourishment issues. Are you more stressed than usual? Are you tired, and using the extra snacking to help you stay awake when you should go to bed? Do you have a history of dieting? I do, and sometimes even the thought of restricting or thinking "I need to lose weight" would cause anxiety...which would lead me to binge.

I think once you can pinpoint the cause/causes, you may be better able to deal with it.