TRX/ Suspension trainers?

spyro88
spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
I've just finished a round of personal training where I used TRX for the first time. I would love to carry this on at home but I'm wondering which type to buy. TRX seems to be so much more expensive than some other brands. Does anyone have any experience/ knowledge about this?

I want to use a door in my house to just to a few simple body weight exercises. I'm not very fit so it won't be anything super intense, just to tone a little - squats, press-ups etc. Can I get away with buying a cheaper version?

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Any old cheap suspension trainer will probably do. But if you have got a bit of cash to splash (not as much as buying a TRX) have a look at the KO8. It's a resistance band trainer as well as suspension trainer and you can do really cool things like assisted press ups. I bought one during our first lockdown and it has been a brilliant piece of kit. They've got a friendly and helpful Facebook community, too, if that is of interest.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I don't use my TRX much but I consider it a nice bonus to my home gym. Best Buy had them for $100 a few months ago for the basic kit.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Thanks both - I've ordered a cheap one to see how I get on - I can always upgrade later :)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2021
    After looking at the same thing for X-mas for my daughter, I chose the "travel" TRX set for like $99. Everyone online that had the more expensive sets said the $99 was the best bargain and accomplished everything they needed. Not positive what the differences are. She's living with us (for now) with Covid and I'm planning to set it up for her in my garage weight gym.

I would guess what I bought is the same one that @VegasFit is talking about.
  • VegasFit
    After looking at the same thing for X-mas for my daughter, I chose the "travel" TRX set for like $99. Everyone online that had the more expensive sets said the $99 was the best bargain and accomplished everything they needed. Not positive what the differences are. She's living with us (for now) with Covid and I'm planning to set it up for her in my garage weight gym.

Yep, mine is hanging from my garage. TRX mount was 35$ on Amazon. Came with door mount and travel bag.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    VegasFit wrote: »

Yep, mine is hanging from my garage. TRX mount was 35$ on Amazon. Came with door mount and travel bag.

You got the actual TRX mount. There are knockoffs on Amazon, same thing for $15 or so.
  • VegasFit
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

You got the actual TRX mount. There are knockoffs on Amazon, same thing for $15 or so.

I felt more comfortable getting the legit TRX mount. It was the same price on TRX website but didn't want to pay shipping.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member

I felt more comfortable getting the legit TRX mount. It was the same price on TRX website but didn't want to pay shipping.

Yeah, I need to get off the stick on just get the mount still. I honestly doubt (I could be wrong) that I'll use the TRX system, but I might. I do want to get some gymnastic rings and mostly an Endless Rope machine for myself and the TRX mount would work for all 3 applications.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member

Glad you got something and got started. To be honest though, with the warning I'm not an engineer, I'm pretty sure the TRX labeled mount and the Amazon knock off I go came from the same factory just in different packages.

I ordered one from Amazon and compared to the TRX labeled one I bought a big box sporting goods store. No differences.
  • VegasFit

Glad you got something and got started. To be honest though, with the warning I'm not an engineer, I'm pretty sure the TRX labeled mount and the Amazon knock off I go came from the same factory just in different packages.

I ordered one from Amazon and compared to the TRX labeled one I bought a big box sporting goods store. No differences.

I ordered from the TRX store, seller, on Amazon. I'm sure a mount is a mount though and probably same manufacturer like Grey Goose or Kirkland 😂
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    I just bought a 'TRX-style' suspension trainer set from Amazon for £37.00 from a company called Rhinosport. I looked into the original TRX and that was £140.00!

I use mine anchored over the door, as I don't have a wall mount. It looks the same as the original TRX and is good quality, but I guess this will be the test over time.

I'm new to TRX workouts and if the one I have bought doesn't meet my needs down the line, I will look at upgrading, but for now I don't see the benefit of spending over £100 more on a branded system that does the same thing.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I got the real TRX because that’s what I used in personal training. I was suspicious about how safe the cheap knockoffs would be.
    If you go cheap, be careful when first using it and inspect it frequently for deterioration. Safety first.