Feeling hungry- Day 1!

Options
Hi Everyone, so today is day 1. I’m feeling hungry but I know I can’t start to snack now or it will be game over. I’m happy I had a 60 minute workout and have stayed within my calories for the day. I think the first week is the hardest.

Replies

• aacha0908
    aacha0908 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I heard that warm water helps to fill up your stomach and ice cold water helps to burn more calories. Try some warm tea when feeling hungry, it might help. Also, when I am feeling hungry and can't take it anymore I snack on negative calorie foods like cucumber, carrots, celery. Not the most delicious but helps 🙂 stay strong!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Did you eat back your exercise calories? That is how MFP is designed.

The other tip is to work on figuring out which foods help you feel full. Generally, protein, fats and fiber help the most, but the actual ratios may vary.
  • aacha0908
    aacha0908 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @goal06082021 How disappointing..It was my go-to for a few years now .. Thank you for comment! Love learning
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,439 Member
    Options
    How big is your calorie allowance, and what weight loss goal have you chosen? What is your current weight? There's also a possibility that you've chosen a too unrealistic goal. Sometimes slower is better, both to keep enough energy and for your mental wellbeing.
  • LoreleiLoreleiLorelei
    Options
    I don't think you *need* to log those vegetables... I think if you leave it off your daily food plan you will be OK. Way more important to track hummus, honey, ranch etc. It takes about 10 cucumbers to be 300 calories. I mean... who is going to eat all that? Especially when you've already eaten ~900 calories that day??
  • LoreleiLoreleiLorelei
    Options
    I don't get hungry when I am on a calorie deficit, that is because I eat at least 100g of protein a day. I follow the anabolic diet. If I decide to go off track, I log what I eat and how it makes me feel. Especially when I am training to be better in my sport, how food makes me feel is very important to me. I can no longer eat cake, biscuits, doughnuts or any other carb-heavy food, because I will feel horrible. I keep track of what foods I ate that day that I am not feeling hungry and feel great. Then I try to incorporate a lifestyle change and eat those kinds of food every day.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I don't think you *need* to log those vegetables... I think if you leave it off your daily food plan you will be OK. Way more important to track hummus, honey, ranch etc. It takes about 10 cucumbers to be 300 calories. I mean... who is going to eat all that? Especially when you've already eaten ~900 calories that day??

Absolutely it’s more important to log calorie dense foods such as salad dressing, but “not needing to log” small things is how some people find themselves not losing despite “really sticking to my 1200 calorie plan!” Even worse if the person doesn’t bother to log the ranch dressing they dipped the vegetables in,

Four 25 calorie servings of vegetables equals 100 calories. Someone small and sedentary on a tight budget may get only 12 of those per day.

Not to mention I can easily create a 300 calorie salad, made up of nothing but vegetables.

I don’t log tightly, but at this point I’ve been in maintenance for four years, I know roughly how much wiggle room to leave myself, and I weigh daily so I can make corrections if I notice a trend. For new people, it’s usually a good idea to log EVERYTHING for a while. Especially since the primary reason people don’t lose weight when calorie counting is dishonest logging. Obese people are good at making excuses around food, and one study found that people who claimed diets didn’t work for them failed to log almost 2/3 of calories.
  • LoreleiLoreleiLorelei
    Options
    That's true. I think it is also helpful to log vegetables to remember what you eat each day and how you feel afterwards.