new and discouraged

Options
I have been on this site for about three weeks. I was doing real good and dropped 6 pounds right away. Now I have been just staying at the same weight with no loss.I still stay under my calories and I work out regularly. Its hard to stay focused when you don't see the scale go down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• HankFit247
    Options
    Welcome!

We're all here to provide assistance and support. Just let me know how I can be of personal assistance.

Hank
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I have been on this site for about three weeks. I was doing real good and dropped 6 pounds right away. Now I have been just staying at the same weight with no loss.I still stay under my calories and I work out regularly. Its hard to stay focused when you don't see the scale go down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you are willing to share it, unlocking your diary will let us take a look at your diet and make some suggestions. Up to you, though.
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is discouraging when the scales don't go down and you are working so hard ... You might find that you've hit a plateau, and it will start coming down again soon. Are you working out at a gym? If you are, you will be gaining muscle at the same time as losing fat and that could account for why you are not seeing a difference on the scales - you will still be losing body fat though :-)
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!! Congrats on the 6 lbs. you mentioned you are eating UNDER your calories. Maybe you are NOT EATING enough. If you are exercising more you may need to fuel your body. I was told we should NEVER eat UNDER 1200 calories not sure if that is what your eating. Just keep at it & hang in there things will happen.
  • papa5280
    Options
    My experience was about the same...6 pounds almost instantly, and then a plateau. But, I kept with the plan, and about a week later, it started again.

Keep in mind, 6 pounds in 3 weeks is 2 pounds per week. That's still a great average!
  • Change up your workout. Also up the intensity as high as you can. I jump rope between super sets to keep my heart rate up and do HIIT on the treadmill when I do my cardio. I just started doing these things in the last week, and while I havent lost any weight, I am seeing improvements in my fitness level already.

Also make sure you arent eating too few calories. Staying under your goal is good, but if youre too far under you can alter your BMR, causing it to slow down. You shouldnt go under 1200 (Oh, I thnk thats the right number). If you have been eating too little, you need to up your intake, and give your metabolism time to readjust. That could help.
  • midwifemomof5
    Options
    Are you eating breakfast? Eating small meals throughout the day? Not eating before bed? Drinking enough water each day? Are you getting enough protein? Those would be the first things I'd look at.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

yeah, i dropped about 14 pounds int 6 weeks. the last week i haven't dropped an ounce. i've got to change things up a little. different work out routine, different food. stick with it. maybe make your work outs less regular, and by that i mean change things up. take a zumba class, kickboxing, go for a bike ride. anything to keep your body guessing.
  • RcknDisturbed1
    RcknDisturbed1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    most people his a plateau after a while. Very normal. Just gotta find a way to break it.
  • sheneverfails
    Options
    Hi Lorie,

Sorry that you're feeling frustrated! I know how that is.

You may want to take a look at exactly what you're eating, even if you are remaining under or at your suggested calories. It doesn't look like your diary is open for viewing, so you may be eating incredibly healthy, but if not, you might want to consider working on getting more protein and fiber into your diet. When I first started trying to lose weight, I was notorious for staying under my calories (or points at the time, as I was doing WW), but still living off of McDonalds and other junk food. That didn't work well at all (surprise, surprise! lol) so I finally had to completely revamp my diet.

Best of luck! And if you need encouragement, or advise, feel free to add me. I'm happy to help (and receive help, as I still have a long way to go).
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    6 lbs is very good. Just make sure you stay within your goals and watch the processed food that contains a lot of sodium. You'll start losing again.:flowerforyou:
  • JuneGem6471
    JuneGem6471 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    welcome!m Keep in mind that the first 5-10lbs is water and will come off pretty easy. After that it gets slower and a little harder. Also if you are exercising you might be gaining muscle. Dont just go my what the scale says to determine loss, try taking measurements. You could be slow on the scale but melting inches like crazy!
  • lorie1282
    lorie1282 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking gnc properformance protein shakes before workouts and when I don't have time to eat. It always says I'm over my protein for the day.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm guessing you're not drinking enough water or perhaps too heavy on sodium which may be retaining water.
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as NSV - none scale victory - like what I just had! I lost 6 lbs a month ago and then it stopped there. Nevertheless, I gave up on the darned scale. But, I went down a size - which means, I was building some muscle while water is retained for my body to recover from the workouts...

All in all, I won't complain. :)

Keep going... You are doing a great job just by sticking to it! Consistency is key.
  • Scaff
    Options
    Make sure you eat all of your calories each day because eating under the required amount can actually cause the reverse affect, your body needs those calories inorder to lose weight.
  • lorie1282
    lorie1282 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I will try to open my diary. I have been bad the last two days though because I have been feeling sorry for myself,lol.
  • alchmst
    alchmst Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has happened to you, but I spent a few months lamenting the fact that I was doing everything according to the books and nothing was happening... *until* I changed my "moderate activity* to *sedentary* activity. I consider myself pretty active, but lo and behold as soon as I changed that default, and stayed under my daily calories (and as a poster above said minimum of 1200 calories), the magic happened. Most of all, realize that many many folks talk about their journey in the *months to YEARS* time frame.... I always remember I'm in it for the long term. DON'T GIVE UP OR IN! : )
  • cacraft
    Options
    I lost 4 lbs the first week, then nothing for the next week. The first loss was mostly water I assume. I've been watching my sugar and fibre intake closely and finally the scales are starting to move again. Stay the course!
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Agree with most above! Huge CONGRATS on your 6 pound loss that's fab! You shouldn't go under 1200 cals honey, I think it is correct above that you possibly aren't eating enough. Also mentioned above HIIT is brilliant and I would highly recommend that. it is also worth remembering lots and lots of CV isn't the answer really, keep that to 30mins a day and don't jog! Lol! Walking is much better, or rowing, cross trainer etc. Keep your body fueled by eating little and often, and keep going, you are doing brilliantly your body is just adjusting. :)