How do you do it!?

Options
2»

Replies

• chuluotababe
    Options
    You may not be ready yet. Your mind and heart have to be in total agreement. It sounds like your mind is but your heart isn't.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Exercise - you need to find a way to keep it from becoming boring or burdensome. Mix things up if you need to. My wife bought a treadmill which she keeps in our room. She mounted a laptop tray to it as well. So she can do her workout while watching TV and working on her Photography (editing pictures in photoshop), browsing the web, etc. That works for her and makes the time go by much faster. You just have to find that one exercise that you really enjoy or find ways to keep your exercise routine interesting (walking/running in scenic areas, biking to new places, etc).

On the diet side, step one in my opinion is you don't need to *stop* eating chocolate, white bread, etc, you just need to figure out how to eat it in more healthy ways. Working it into an overall diet plan that accounts for your calories, macro nutrients and such is the key. Trying to give up food you love all together is only going to lead to failure. So try smaller portions of those items. Try whole grain white bread (yes it does exist). For treats, check out Skinny Cow brand, they've got a lot of great stuff. Fruit and yogurt parfaits are a great replacement for ice cream sundaes. There's all sorts of options out there, you just gotta keep looking and trying new things.

Here's another thing that might help you on both fronts. The best way to work in "naughty" foods is to have them on a day when you've done a lot of exercise. I love days where I have multiple soccer games because I burn literally thousands of calories. With that huge burn, I can typically fit in just about any naughty food I'm craving and make it work. So that could work as a motivator for you to keep exercising since exercising means you can add in a treat that day.
  • Debs1971
    Options
    For me, i decided that a whole new way of life was a bit too much to take in in one go, so i divided everything up in my brain as 'mini battles'........ a craving for choccoate was a 'mini battle'.... if i fought it off then i won 1 - 0! I reckoned that about 1000 mini battles won would see me hit my targets! To start with it was really hard and there were lots of battles each day, 'exercise or sofa' 'chocolate or apple' 'stairs or lift'..... and after a few days/ weeks i realised that i didnt need to fight the battles cos i was choosing the healthy option and getting less cravings anyway! seems weird but worked for me and 18 months later i cant do without exercise and dont really like fatty food, i have chocolate occassionally but only a bit!

Its about knowing your triggers and working out alternatives in advance and being ready for them....
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's helpful to see it as a chore, and look at it as fighting a war against weight. I prefer to visualise the end goal! IE if I see a lovely bikini I would like to wear I don't say "oh no I'd look a sight in that right now!" I say, "My goodness I'll look good in that in a few months!" Keep the focus on what you want not what you don't want. Put up a picture of the perfect body you would like on your fridge, and each time you look at it say "oooo there I am!" Above post about micro-nutrients is spot on, but don't get bogged down the most important change is within your thought process. You are not Failing!!!! You just found a few ways that don't work for you! :)
  • Freeapollo
    Options
    For myself it has been embracing the healthy lifestyle. You can't just be healthy for a few months through exercising and eating healthy and switch back without losing the benefits of a healthy lifestyle. Six months ago I just snapped and decided I wanted to live longer and healthier. You have to make dieting and exercising part of your life. Too many people view healthy living as a way to get into shape quick every few years rather than a permanent lifestyle.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i was blessed with a very obsessive personality and have many years practice in counting calories. It has become such a habit to do it at this point that i get grumpy on the days i don't work out or fill in my food journal.

But it all satred somewhere; my first goal was sugar and salt. For three days i ate EXACTLY how i always had, and wrote every bite down. Turns out i was getting over 100 g sugar and 5000 mg sodium daily. So on Day 4 i decided i wasn't getting more than 4000 mg sodium and 95 g sugar. that's half a teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of sugar. And i kept at that pace until i hit where i needed to be and could consistently maintain it (which took a little over a month). Then i looked at my fat, carbs, and protein and did the same with them . As far as exercising, i rarely have an "i don't want to " day- i truly love being active. My mom, however, sometimes dreads working out but she puts her shoes and sports bra on, ponys up, and gets it done anyway. By the end of the warmup she's usually glad to be doing it.

Baby steps on everything, don't set unrealistic goals of "i will hit EXACTLY my nutrient goal for 6 months EVERY DAY!" because you won't. and then you'll be sad. Don't say, "I will do 1,000 pushups today!" unless you are already doing an average of 950. Simply say, "I will be better today than i was yesterday." If that means calories, salt, or situps-do a little bit better every day and it will become more ritual than chore.
  • hmb74
    Options
    I ask myself one question:

I can't change yesterday, but what can I do today to make tomorrow a better place?