nearly Starting over. desperate for motivation

Options
hi everyone! I am desperately needing advice or any words of motivation for starting over on my weight loss journey after losing nearly 90 pounds now I've gained most of it back! I'm extremely discourage and I dont know where else to turn ! I'm so unmotivated , how do you all get back on track or stay on track ? please help !

Replies

• Retakesfitness
    Retakesfitness Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    *discouraged
  • alleycat41
    alleycat41 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    back when I first started a few years ago I weighed 218 lbs and after about 10 months I was down to 178 and then I ended up pregnant..I was happy I was having another child but devastated that I worked so hard and now had to start over.. this was around 5 years ago and I'm now back to try again starting weight this time is 201.5 lbs. goal weight is 145lbs. hopefully, I can stick with it this time with no more hiccups ( tubes are tied so no more pregnancies..lol) and I can finally make it to my goal weight. good luck with your goals and try to have fun on the journey. try to be serious about your goals without taking yourself too seriously. if you have a setback be gentle with yourself this is not easy..it's a marathon, not a sprint but it'll be worth it when you reach the finish line.
  • eineFremde
    eineFremde Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What was the turning point? What happened that made you go back to your old habits?
  • dboling83
    dboling83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Take it one step at a time You did it once you can do it again
  • dboling83
    dboling83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Retakefitness I belong to a group here called actually active friend it's a good group
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    There are so many of us who are in the same spot. Lost weight, regained, now trying to lose again. We know what to do, but it's so discouraging to know that we were at our goal, and we messed up.

However, you know what you need to do. You know what it will take to get back to where you want to be. I had to take a different approach this time. I'm going to lose MUCH more slowly. Like, so slowly that I am only weighing myself every 3 months. That's slow. But my reason is this: I am making super small changes that mean that a year from now, I will be down 20 pounds, but able to eat similarly to how I do now. I'm 250 calories below maintenance right now. It won't be hard to transition. It doesn't matter if it's slow, other than those days when I feel like I am working incredibly hard and "have nothing to show for it." That's in quotes because I DO have something to show for it: I'm building back in my good habits. I'm not hoping to be motivated to work out. I'm taking emotion out of it this time. It's math. It's long term health. I'm working out to be strong and do what I want with my free time. I don't always like doing it, but it's what I do. It's part of my day. I walk, work, eat, play, sleep, repeat.

Motivation doesn't last long. And the time will pass whether you commit today, tomorrow or next month. So how do you want to pass the time? Covid has highlighted a year for most of us. What will you be like in March of 2022? Try making small changes. Piggyback onto a habit you already have. Do you walk to get the mail? Go around the block first, then get the mail. Little changes can make big long term differences.

You can do this.
  • ThatCookieGurl
    ThatCookieGurl Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You’ve got this, girl! Take it one step at a time, one day at a time, and even one meal at a time. Weight loss is an up and down battle, just keep pushing past and marching forward. Eventually, a new routine and diet change will become second nature. If you need support, I’m here and you are more than welcome to add me as a friend (though I will admit, my diet is not perfect and I struggle with body image). Regardless, you are perfect the way you are, either 90 pounds heavier or 90 pounds lighter. You’ve got this, don’t give up.
  • Retakesfitness
    Retakesfitness Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from within, but it can get harder each time we have to restart.

Make a list of the reasons you want to lose weight. Do you have health issues to address? Things you want to do but physically cannot?

Next, make a plan to build up to healthy habits that you can sustain for a lifetime. Take a baby step right now, whether that is eating more vegetables, getting some exercise today, throwing out a trigger food, or committing to writing down everything you eat.

Pay attention to what does and doesn't work for you. If you don't already have some ideas about what works well for you, pick a canned diet and start from there, checking in with yourself regularly. The canned diet with the best reviews from dieticians and medical professionals has consistently been the Mediterranean Diet. My diet mostly resembles the Mediterranean Diet, but I probably eat more meat than most followers (if still less than the average American diet). Similarly with exercise - the best exercise is the one you will stick with because you enjoy it. Walking has plenty of health benefits, you don't have to take up marathon running. Hula hooping and hoop dancing can be fun. I have active video games that I play most days.

A diet buddy can be useful, as well. The most strict I have even been with a diet was when my husband did the elimination diet to see if what he was eating was causing any of his inflammation issues. I felt like if I ate off plan, I was cheating on my husband. That kept me on the straight and narrow for the full 3 months! (1 of total elimination, 2 more to slowly reintroduce foods).
    Motivation comes from within, but it can get harder each time we have to restart.

Make a list of the reasons you want to lose weight. Do you have health issues to address? Things you want to do but physically cannot?

Next, make a plan to build up to healthy habits that you can sustain for a lifetime. Take a baby step right now, whether that is eating more vegetables, getting some exercise today, throwing out a trigger food, or committing to writing down everything you eat.

Pay attention to what does and doesn't work for you. If you don't already have some ideas about what works well for you, pick a canned diet and start from there, checking in with yourself regularly. The canned diet with the best reviews from dieticians and medical professionals has consistently been the Mediterranean Diet. My diet mostly resembles the Mediterranean Diet, but I probably eat more meat than most followers (if still less than the average American diet). Similarly with exercise - the best exercise is the one you will stick with because you enjoy it. Walking has plenty of health benefits, you don't have to take up marathon running. Hula hooping and hoop dancing can be fun. I have active video games that I play most days.

A diet buddy can be useful, as well. The most strict I have even been with a diet was when my husband did the elimination diet to see if what he was eating was causing any of his inflammation issues. I felt like if I ate off plan, I was cheating on my husband. That kept me on the straight and narrow for the full 3 months! (1 of total elimination, 2 more to slowly reintroduce foods).

thank you for your advice! i'm definitely going to take it
  • clayfield0813
    clayfield0813 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    One day at a time- I take it week by week- your thoughts are the biggest factor- I found this out for myself, and have been working on this- it starts in our mind. Understand this first- and focus on it- the changes will follow,