Emotional Eating..... Help!!

Options
My husband has just left to go and work for 5 weeks in Australia (I am in New Zealand), he has been doing this for about 18 months now.....

My problem is that for the FIRST four or five days after he leaves I seem to eat anything and everything to destroy all the hard work I am doing....

I am hoping that someone might have a great idea on how to stop this...... I have tried not having the food in the house but then I spend alot of time at the Bakery!!

Replies

• dimos2001
    Options
    First time 'replyer' here, but i kinda identified with what you said. Recently whenever i have had 'pangs' or cravings I have tried to remember the guilt i felt after a food binge before raiding the fridge. don't get me wrong, it's not exactly an exact science and hardly as good as nailing the fridge shut but i find now that taking a minute to think about everything and weighing up the pros and cons and generally OVERTHINKING the whole process seems to help!
    As i say, not exactly a scientific approach but i have found recently that it has helped me, hopefully it will for you too
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    What other things can you treat yourself with, besides food? Is it time at a movie? A zoo excursion? Maybe time to read a book? Maybe you could try new recipes, and freeze some for later. Nurture things that fuel your mind, body, and spirit! Just don't give in the slippery slope at the beginning of a binge........ You know, when you're negotiating with yourself about what else you can eat......because sometimes we can't turn it around for awhile. Then we just feel badly about ourselves. Break the chain!!!!
  • papa5280
    Options
    One other thing that would help me....make a commitment to yourself that you won't eat ANYTHING unless you've logged it in your food diary. Seeing the hundreds or thousands of calories heading toward my mouth is enough to stop my emotional eating...usually.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Try getting out. Go for a walk, go to the gym, go for a run. Do something physical that will keep you busy, keep you healthy, and distract you.

Try setting up social events with friends to coincide with the start of is absence. Have people round for dinner - but make sure you plan a healthy meal. Get out to the movies with a friend. Go for coffee.

In terms of eating, make sure you've got plenty of fruit in the house - really good stuff - mangoes, pineapple, things you really like. Make a fruit salad.
    Try platters of nice yummy veg with a good dip (creme fraiche, garlic and a bit of salt is nice). Nibble on that when the urge strikes.

There isn't an easy solution. More a case of finding healthier, more functional ways of caring for yourself when times are tough.
  • knjantz
    knjantz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I did that every time my husband deployed (he is in the Army) i always gained 20-30 pounds every time he left! It was awful. When he moved to Germany with the Army and I stayed stateside I knew I had to do something or I would be gaining 20 pounds every 6 months. I made sure i ONLY had healthy food in the house apples, veggies, etc. If I knew I wasn't hungry I would grab the dog and go for a walk or go and window shop. Mostly I ate because I was bored so I took up a hobby and when I started to feel bored, sad, or lonely I would go and do my crafts and it really, really helped!!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    One other thing that would help me....make a commitment to yourself that you won't eat ANYTHING unless you've logged it in your food diary. Seeing the hundreds or thousands of calories heading toward my mouth is enough to stop my emotional eating...usually.

Oh definitely yes to this. This makes a *huge* difference. It inserts a bit of rationality into the emotions-food equation!
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Get out of the house!! Get active, join a gym or train for a 5K. Set a goal for yourself. The same thing happens to me when my daughter goes to school. Here I am all by myself and need to fill my day without being in the kitchen snacking. You will do fine!
  • Chezza021
    Chezza021 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you all sooo much... Is so good to know that there are people out there that understand...... Unfortunately I have probably already COMPLETELY destroyed today (it's only 10am) but I have read all your posts and they all make alot of sense......

NO more sugar today!!!! or tomorrow!! or ...... or..........! I will log todays destruction later when I am feeling extra brave!! Feel free to criticise!

My son is sick today so looks like the treadmill it is... maybe Zumba!! I haven't got a puzzle or my crossstitch out for ages so I reckon I'll dig that out too..... The house needs a top-to-toe tidy!

Yip it's officially I don't have time to raid the fridge and the pantry - although I quite liked the idea of nailing the fridge closed!!

I LOVE MFP! So much support when you need it the most! You guys are amazing.... xo
  • healthychoices5
    Options
    5 weeks in Australia, ouch! Still, I suspect those 5 weeks will go by quicker than expected.

I like the advice given to be faithful about tracking EVERYTHING you eat, preferably right after you eat it. I'm only on day 2 of this whole deal so I really don't have much room to talk, but I'm already astonished at how motivating it is to do better when I see those calories/fat grams adding up based on my poor food choices. Keep a food journal is going to help me find better foods to eat!
  • Stephabee38
    Stephabee38 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hey,
    I need help in this area too... I think that I eat alot when i feel tired, alone or overwhelmed.... and i generally eat to numb these feelings, how do I stop this.... its funny because I am still trying to log all of the crap that i eat.. but its like the more calories that i consume the more shameful it is... the less likely i am to log everything.... Help