Snacks

Options
Hi guys,

I'm looking to fill the house with snacks that are both healthy and good for a fussy eater.

I'm more than happy to snack on fruit and rice cakes,that sort of thing. However my husband is a bit of a chocolate bar addict and he's trying to eat healthier. We just haven't found snacks that will both satisfy him and keep him going. He's an engineer so on his feet most of the day. He needs quick, convenient bites. I'm hoping to find things protein-heavy for him that taste good.

Any brands you love? Recipes you swear by? I don't mind baking, me and my toddler love it!

TIA πŸ’œ

Replies

• dilemily
    dilemily Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In the UK, there are bars called Skinny Whips and they are so delicious- 90 calories each too
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Despite the overwhelming efforts by the some of the regulars here, a person must choose for himself the foods he eats. Especially true of snacks. A person does not just get to age 40 or whatnot and say "by Jove I love that Greek Yogurt! Who knew!" Let him have his chocolate. Unless he has diabetes, it will be fine.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My husband loves chocolate, so he just has chocolate. He uses his meals to meet the bulk of his nutrient needs and keep himself going and he uses the chocolate as a treat. Since he's within his calorie goals and physically active, it all works out.

• mummysinthekitchen
    mummysinthekitchen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    dilemily wrote: Β»
    In the UK, there are bars called Skinny Whips and they are so delicious- 90 calories each too

I'll be looking into this, thank you.
  • mummysinthekitchen
    Options
    Despite the overwhelming efforts by the some of the regulars here, a person must choose for himself the foods he eats. Especially true of snacks. A person does not just get to age 40 or whatnot and say "by Jove I love that Greek Yogurt! Who knew!" Let him have his chocolate. Unless he has diabetes, it will be fine.

He's trying to find healthy alternatives to the things he would usually eat. He has asked me to pick up a few different things for him to try as I do the food shopping. I'm not clued up on protein bars etc as I snack mainly on fruit.
  • mummysinthekitchen
    Options
    My husband loves chocolate, so he just has chocolate. He uses his meals to meet the bulk of his nutrient needs and keep himself going and he uses the chocolate as a treat. Since he's within his calorie goals and physically active, it all works out.

Oh I dare say he won't be giving it up all together πŸ˜‚ he's just looking for more variety and preferably a bit more healthier. We've both had a big kick up the bum with our lifestyle choices (including diet) so exploring different alternatives until we're happy with what we find.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live and I'd suggest mostly just sticking with smaller servings, but.

- Yasso greek yogurt bars are DELICIOUS. The brownie/chocolate ones are my favorite ones
    - -FiberOne brownies are kind of 'eh' if you want a real brownie but as a chocolately not high calorie thing they're decent.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    ALSO Mini tootsie pops are a good sugar hit that take a while and are all of 20 calories each.
  • mummysinthekitchen
    Options
    I don't know where you live and I'd suggest mostly just sticking with smaller servings, but.

- Yasso greek yogurt bars are DELICIOUS. The brownie/chocolate ones are my favorite ones
    - -FiberOne brownies are kind of 'eh' if you want a real brownie but as a chocolately not high calorie thing they're decent.

I'm in UK. I've seen the fibre one bars, will be trying a few. Also I'll keep my eye out for the Yasso bars. I like the sound of them and we're a Greek family so greek yoghurt is a staple in our house. The Tootsie Pops sound handy for him to have in his van just incase he slumps.

Thanks for your suggestions ☺
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I like original fudgesicles. A nice chocolate hit at only 80 calories
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm a high tier chocoholic. I spend all my time on Reddit on the volume eating sub. Volume eating desserts is my life.

Here's one:

59-Cal Chocolate Protein Muffins
    Very easy to put together with basic ingredients. Perfect to have on hand for your workweek.

INGREDIENTS

πŸ’« 60 g Protein Powder (chocolate ideally)

πŸ’« 30 g Cocoa Powder

πŸ’« 16 g Oat Flour

πŸ’« 1 tsp Baking Powder

πŸ’« 24 g Sweetener (I like Swerve)

πŸ’« 90 g Egg Whites

πŸ’« 160 g Pure Pumpkin

πŸ’« 45 g Unsweetened Apple Sauce

πŸ’« 60 g Plain Greek Yogurt

πŸ’« 8 Chocolate Flavour Drops (optional)

πŸ’« 1 tsp Vanilla Extract

INSTRUCTIONS

βž• Mix dry & wet ingredients separately

βž• Combine the dry ingredients in the wet bowl

βž• Transfer batter to SILICON muffin moulds

βž• Bake for 18 min. @ 350Β°F

Per muffin (makes 10) : 5 P β€’ 59 cals
  • mummysinthekitchen
    Options
    Terytha wrote: Β»
    I'm a high tier chocoholic. I spend all my time on Reddit on the volume eating sub. Volume eating desserts is my life.

Here's one:

Very easy to put together with basic ingredients. Perfect to have on hand for your workweek.

INGREDIENTS

πŸ’« 30 g Cocoa Powder

πŸ’« 16 g Oat Flour

πŸ’« 1 tsp Baking Powder

πŸ’« 90 g Egg Whites

πŸ’« 160 g Pure Pumpkin

INSTRUCTIONS

I'll be trying these at the weekend! Thank you
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

I'm in UK. I've seen the fibre one bars, will be trying a few. Also I'll keep my eye out for the Yasso bars. I like the sound of them and we're a Greek family so greek yoghurt is a staple in our house. The Tootsie Pops sound handy for him to have in his van just incase he slumps.

Thanks for your suggestions ☺

Fibre one bars are different than fiber one brownies. I like the brownies and the lemon bars more than the cereal bars. And I dare not eat more than one for fear of what effect they might have on me if I overdose.

Has he tried cocoa dusted almonds?
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: Β»

Here's one:

INGREDIENTS

πŸ’« 30 g Cocoa Powder

πŸ’« 16 g Oat Flour

πŸ’« 1 tsp Baking Powder

πŸ’« 90 g Egg Whites

πŸ’« 160 g Pure Pumpkin

INSTRUCTIONS

I have all of these ingredients!! And as a fellow volume eater, I'm excited to try these! Thanks!!