struggling with my diabetes

Options
I am type one diabetic and struggling to get my numbers down. I won't lie, sometimes I am not as self disciplined as I should be with food, but I don't think I do really that bad. My last a1c was almost exactly the same as it was 4 months ago which made me feel like crying, I am so frustrated with this. I came on here for support and to be held accountable with losing some weight and exercising and starting to eat right and being more self disciplined about that. My doctor has also told me that while I am type one I am also insulin resistant. So, not only does my body not make any insulin itself, but it doesn't play well with the insulin I give it

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Can you get an appointment Registered Dietician? That could be helpful.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    What steps have you taken, to change the way you're eating & how you're moving? Perhaps think of it in those simple terms. Think about what you need to do in the areas of food and activity, and form a plan to move from where you are to where you want to be. Baby steps should mean progress.
  • jsimms554
    jsimms554 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have seen a dietician several times. Yes, I know to watch what I eat and exercise. Thanks. I already knew that.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    jsimms554 wrote: »
    Yes, I have seen a dietician several times. Yes, I know to watch what I eat and exercise. Thanks. I already knew that.

Then what you need is a plan to stick with those things. For most of us, this plan will need tweaked over and over after each slip up. Start by building one, specific habit. For me, it usually helps to start focusing on the exercise, then the diet will follow.

It still may be worth contacting a dietician and making it clear that it isn't nutrition knowledge that you are lacking, but rather actually making it work. I worked with such a dietician online earlier this year and our sessions were focused on overall strategies, not meal plans and nutrition data.

I am three years out from my diabetic diagnosis, and still working on smoothing out the roller coaster, so I do understand that it is one thing to know what you need to do and quite another to actually follow through. What seems to be helping is having read up on intuitive eating and mindful eating. I just don't beat myself up as much when I do slip, so the cycle gets a short circuit and I get back on track sooner.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I saw a dietician when I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. She did not give me specific diet recommendations, just what is on the American diabetes association website. Now, I am in a program called Virta through my insurance. It is nutritional ketogenic diet for diabetes (it is aimed at insulin resistance). I don't know if that would work for you since you have type 1, but maybe there is something out there. There is a diabetes group here on myfitnesspal. Good luck. I know it can be frustrating.
  • Someonerandom1
    Someonerandom1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    T1D burn out is real ❤️ My son was diagnosed at 3.5. I know the caregiver side but I don’t know what’s it’s like to live with T1D. I can hand him off to my husband or mother-in-law if I need a break for a day. The person living with it never gets that reprieve, plus you have the physical toll.

Do you have a friend or family member that you could ask for support? I know it’s sometimes easier to just do it yourself. But it could be beneficial to have someone help out with some basics or to even hold you accountable if you’re struggling to do the things you know you need to do to manage it.