Bmr, calories and weight loss.

Options
goldyray1
goldyray1 Posts: 64 Member
edited April 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I would like to create a scenario just to see if I am understanding.
60 year old female
175 pounds. Goal is 135 pounds
BMR is 1500
Calories allowed each day to consume 1200
If each day I burn 2500 calories (pretend with no exercise/lazy person)
I eat 1200 calories a day.
How much does that give me a day to go towards the goal of burning 3500 calories a week to equal a pound of fat loss.
This is totally a scenario. Given this information, is this enough to lose at least a pound a week? Is this number I am looking for considered the 'net' calories?
Ideally exercise would go along with this but this is just so I understand the process.
Thank you.

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    As per above for the gist of things.

To be more pedantic :lol: I won't say that 2500 is *absolutely impossible* for a 60yo 175lb female; just **extremely** implausible and unlikely given that she goes on to state: "pretend with no exercise/lazy person".

If she were, instead, saying "pretend I'm a very active on the go" person, then the 2500 would, all of a sudden, become much more likely.

Also, assuming the 1500 BMR figure was a correct estimate (I don't see a height stat above, so I can't double check), the initial sedentary TDEE estimate would be ~1850. Thus eating ~1350 net Calories should result in about 1lb loss a week
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Your body uses energy (calories as fuel) in 3 ways:

BMR - this is the effort your body puts into keeping you alive. For your heart, lungs, brain and other organ daily functions. For your body to maintain its temperature, digest food, circulate oxygen and such.

Normal daily activity - this is energy spent to move your body thru its normal day. Hobbies, home life, job. *This is why MFP asks about your activity level in the guided setup** A person who is on their feet constantly during their day will use more energy than someone who is sitting at a desk all day, for example. It will be a % of your BMR. Such as a sedentary, doesn't move much during the day person may burn 15% of their BMR in activity daily. Someone more active may burn 25% and someone VERY active may burn 35%.

MFP uses those two: BMR and normal daily activity to give your calorie goal.

Third is cardio. Your body burns at a higher rate when you are doing cardio because you are moving multiple major muscle groups for an extended period of time. This one is a little awkward, as its hard to know exactly and its easy to overestimate.

MFP expects that if you exercise, you will log the exercise calories and eat them in addition to your regular calorie goal. THis is where 'net' calories come in.

If your BMR is 1500 then without exercise, you probably burn 1800-2200 depending on how active your day is. For sake of example, lets say you tell MFP that you're sedentary/not active and MFP expects you to burn 1800 daily. You put in a rate of loss of 1 pound per week, so MFP tells you to eat 1300. Because 1800 - 500 = 1300. Lets say today you log 1250 calories in, log 250 calories exercise. Remember. MFP's target of 1300 is BEFORE exercise, so your day would look like 1300 target -1250 logged - 250 exercise = 1000 net and show you having 300 calories 'left' to eat. If you don't feel the 250 is accurate (maybe you think its inflated) then you could of course consider to eat just a portion of the exercise calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    goldyray1 wrote: »
    I would like to create a scenario just to see if I am understanding.
    60 year old female
    175 pounds. Goal is 135 pounds
    BMR is 1500
    Calories allowed each day to consume 1200
    If each day I burn 2500 calories (pretend with no exercise/lazy person)
    I eat 1200 calories a day.
    How much does that give me a day to go towards the goal of burning 3500 calories a week to equal a pound of fat loss.
    This is totally a scenario. Given this information, is this enough to lose at least a pound a week? Is this number I am looking for considered the 'net' calories?
    Ideally exercise would go along with this but this is just so I understand the process.
    Thank you.

Yes understanding is needed - the formulation of the questions shows you need more.

So you would be burning 2500, and eating 1200.

Think body is happy eating less than 50% of what it needs to maintain desired stasis (yes it desires that)?

If this is MFP that estimated a daily burn of 2500 - then you would NEVER be given an eating goal by MFP of 1200, because 2 lbs weekly, or 1000 cal deficit, is the max it gives no matter how foolish that might be for someone.

If MFP estimated daily burn 2500, it would give 1500 eating goal if you selected 2 lb weekly with 1000 cal deficit.
    2500 daily burn - 1500 eaten = 1000 deficit

BMR is meaningless except to calculate MFP what Activity Level must have been selected - in your scenario it was told above Active. (2500/1500=1.66)

1000 cal deficit daily x 7 days = 7000 cal weekly deficit = 2 lb weekly.

Obviously the numbers you gave are bigger deficit - you should be able to do the math now and see that clearly you are losing way more than 1 lb weekly - if you really ate that much, and if you really burned that much in reality.

Regarding NET calories - you are NOT looking for any other number because you are already given it - in your scenario the 1200, for what MFP would actually say the 1500.

You said no exercise, therefore your NET eating goal and base eating goal would always be the same.

Let's pretend 1500 was really your base eating goal, safe to get in enough nutrients so you didn't harm your body, enough calories so your body didn't start adapting and making this harder and stressed out and possibly damaged.
    And that was based on pretty active lifestyle with no exercise, just always going.
    Those 1500 calories provided for base metabolism just living and enough fuel for keeping active so not wanting to sleep all the time.
    But it forced the body to burn more fat because you did burn 2500 on those typical days.

Now you go exercise hard for 1.5 hour and burn 500 calories purely for the extra movement, this is not energy used for metabolism or anything else, just the exercise.
    So from the 1500 calories you would normally eat - 500 was used just for the exercise - not repairing cells, not growing hair or nails, not repairing from the exercise, not for your other daily activity.
    You now left 1000 for rest of those functions where the body really wanted 1500 before you'd get negative effects, if you don't eat more.
    Your body wants 500 more for the basic functions and daily activity.

Now the 1500 if that is all you ate, leaves NET 1000 eaten for basic body functions. Your exercise sucked off 500 calories just for that - your body wants 500 more to not be stressed and do what it needs to do.
    Your NET eating goal of 1500 now needs 500 more eaten if you only ate the 1500, leaving only 1000 for normal daily functions.

But you burned in total 2500 + 500 exercise = 3000.
    You will eat in total 1500 + 500 exercise = 2000.
    You have the same 1000 deficit.
    Your NET goal was still 1500.
  • goldyray1
    goldyray1 Posts: 64 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    i UNDERSTAND!!!!! Thank you so much for taking the time and using my scenario so that I could understand. I never could understand the reasoning behind eating back your exercise calories. I always thought that it would hold you back from losing pounds. I do see now. I did choose the 2 pound a week with MFP. Thank you again!!!!