I don't know what I am doing wrong?

Options
I have been trying to loose wait for about a year now. The first couple months I got help from my doctor and started loosing a couple pounds a month. Around January of this year it stopped. I haven't lost anything and I haven't gained anything. I increased how many times a week I work out and I just don't go anywhere. I need help on figuring out what I am doing wrong.

Replies

• sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Would help to have more info. What you eat, what type of exercise, how often and how long, doing only cardio or strength training as well.
  • putnam80
    putnam80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    its pretty simple really. you need to honestly eat less calories every day than what you burn in a day. the laws of thermodynamics are pretty simple really.

also keep in mind 2000 calories in doughnuts is not the same as 2000 calories of chicken breast
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to loose wait for about a year now. The first couple months I got help from my doctor and started loosing a couple pounds a month. Around January of this year it stopped. I haven't lost anything and I haven't gained anything. I increased how many times a week I work out and I just don't go anywhere. I need help on figuring out what I am doing wrong.

In order for anyone on MFP to help you, you need to make your diary public. If we can see what you're eating, and when, along with your exercise calories, we'd be able to tell you a little more information.

For now, I would change up what you're doing. If you're eating too many calories, cut that down right away. If you're eating too few, then have a few days where you eat a lot of (healthy) calories. Also, change up your work-out. Sometimes all you need to do is shock your body into a different burn. And lastly, what helps when I plateau is by drinking like 800 cups of water a day (not literally).. but seriously. That water is super important!

Hope that helps.
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Are overweight medically? I ask because sometimes our bodies have an ideal weight, and despite our best efforts, it wants to stay there. Obviously, this is not true if you are overweight for your height and frame, ect. it would be healthy to lose it.
  • JtmJms
    Options
    Email me. Most likely its your diet. jmstraining@yahoo.com
  • ebonyhart
    Options
    Im going to say diet, its only just been bought to my attention that even though I was cutting down it wasnt enough. If you can eat more protein fish chicken turkey etc.....eat more veg and steam it rather than boil if you can and cut back on the carbs.
    Alcohol can be problem if you are drinking wine either cut back or dont drink it....if you like a drink have vodka with a diet coke its far far less calories, sometimes just cutting out the wine you can see a big difference.
    Try it for week see if it makes a difference with a change in diet and the workouts your already doing you may see some more results, see what you think :-)
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to tell if we saw what you've been eating, you need to make sure you're getting enough protein and fiber. Also try zig zagging your diet (google it if you need to), you need to "Surprise/Confuse" your body. Zig zagging is bassically one day you eat 1200, next 1600, next 1400, and next 1200, and it contatly rotates with about 200-400 cal difference (change this up based on your daily calorie need, make sure it averages out to youd daily calorie need, and make sure you eat foods with lots of good nutrients so your body doesn't starve). When you do this you're breaking your body out of what it's used too, giving it a surprise that will get you out of the plateau.

Also to furthere surprise do like one or 2 days a week a high calorie meal with small snacks/mela through the day; and other days just normal small meals through the day. You can furthere it by doing same through exercise, 1 or 2 days of week do crazy high calorie burning workout while other days it's normal, key is to mix-it up and never keep it the same, if you do this and consume the right amounf of calories to lose weight you will have no problems loosing.
    Also do weight training with cardio, the two go hand in hand. This should help, if not that you need to monitor your calorie intake carefully and determine whether you need to cut down or up.
    Hope this helps, good luck!