I assume my taking a diuretic is why I am not getting the initial "WOOSH" loss?

Options
12 days at this (second go around after 5 years) and I am not getting the heavy initial loss I did the first time around.

I can only assume it is because I am taking a diuretic this time (high blood pressure) and it is making it so I am not retaining water as I would normally - therefore not dropping water weight right at the beginning like I would usually do?

Kinds disappointed I don't get that initial rush of the WHOOSH!

**but I'm not unmotivated because of it at least!!**

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    it's possible.

good for you for not worrying about it!
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    That's probably it. Are you drinking plenty of water and watching sodium? Dehydration or too much salt could be causing you to hang onto fluids, too.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I am not tracking salt, although for the most part I'm within my limits.
    Admittedly I am not drinking enough water or fluids in general... My morning coffee lasts until noon most days and I may have water with lunch and dinner but that's it.
    I hate water...I need it Flavored to drink regularly, and refuse to pay that much for the drops...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    I am not tracking salt, although for the most part I'm within my limits.
    Admittedly I am not drinking enough water or fluids in general... My morning coffee lasts until noon most days and I may have water with lunch and dinner but that's it.
    I hate water...I need it Flavored to drink regularly, and refuse to pay that much for the drops...

Is the doctor who prescribed the diuretic happy with your fluid intake?

I don't drink much plain water myself. I flavor water with Earl Grey tea bags ;)

To answer your OP, I've never had a big initial woosh, but I never make drastic changes to what I eat and I generally ramp up exercise at the same time, which can cause water retention.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that with high blood pressure your doctor put you on a diuretic, didn't tell you to watch the salt intake, and didn't advise you to drink plenty of liquids. Or are you self-medicating?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    12 days at this (second go around after 5 years) and I am not getting the heavy initial loss I did the first time around.

I can only assume it is because I am taking a diuretic this time (high blood pressure) and it is making it so I am not retaining water as I would normally - therefore not dropping water weight right at the beginning like I would usually do?

Kinds disappointed I don't get that initial rush of the WHOOSH!

**but I'm not unmotivated because of it at least!!**

This low intake of water/fluid is pretty dangerous, especially if you're taking a diuretic..

Please talk to your doctor.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Buy frozen fruit and throw a little in glasses of ice water. 1/4 cup of blueberries, a few frozen pineapple chunks, a few frozen strawberries! That's what I do all summer long because it's fun and delicious and makes me drink more water. Also Decaf iced tea. Make a pitcher and drink it throughout the day. You can sweeten it with artificial sweeteners if you prefer it sweet. (P.S. if you do the fruit thing, make sure to log it!)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    I'm surprised that with high blood pressure your doctor put you on a diuretic, didn't tell you to watch the salt intake, and didn't advise you to drink plenty of liquids. Or are you self-medicating?

Diuretics are pretty standard for treating high blood pressure
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options

But they usually come with a warning to drink fluids to avoid kidney injury.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »

But they usually come with a warning to drink fluids to avoid kidney injury.

^^This. Sorry if I wasn't clear on my post.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hey all sorry for taking time to reply - I generally check post weekdays only.

So I started the meds from my doctor a few years back actually - and no she never mentioned anything about upping my water intake (or fluids in general) or salt.
    I don't add salt to my foods as a rule - and never have - although with some of the prepared stuff I know that the content can be high on it's own.

Someone suggested frozen berries in my water - I can do that - I actually used to and it wasn't too bad - I think I will start that up again to keep in the water I have on my desk at work all day.

Weekends are another issue - I don't drink barely anything at all - and I know I am low weekends because of the color of my urine (too dark) (TMI sorry!!)

I will up my fluid intake (I dont like Earl Grey - but I DO like other teas and have plenty to flavor with also ;) )

I will hope this will help bring it down.
    Thanks for your input everyone