Should I take multivitamins while being on a fat loss diet ?

Options
Hi there, I have been dieting for like 3-4 months now and I'm hitting my protien goal everyday but I'm recently concerned with the vitamins daily goal which I'm unable to fulfill while being under recommend calories
Should I take multivitamin tablet?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    First, consider that many of the database entries don't include a full nutritional profile, so you may be getting more of those vitamins than you think. Which ones do you think you are lacking?

Do you include portions of fruits and vegetables in your diet? Most people who do can get enough of these nutrients through food.

But, if you are concerned, then a multivitamin isn't going to hurt you.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    A lot of studies show they don't help as much as people think. Eating healthy is the best way, but if you have a reason or are lacking something specifically a vitamin may be beneficial supplement.
  • Lhenderson923
    Lhenderson923 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you want to take one, there’s really no reason not to unless you have been told otherwise by a medical practitioner. The research on whether they help or not isn’t definitive, but they definitely may help fill in small gaps in your diet. I take a prenatal vitamin every day (I’m not pregnant but breastfeeding and I tend to have more children so I just keep taking the same one).
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    If you want to take one, there’s really no reason not to unless you have been told otherwise by a medical practitioner. The research on whether they help or not isn’t definitive, but they definitely may help fill in small gaps in your diet. I take a prenatal vitamin every day (I’m not pregnant but breastfeeding and I tend to have more children so I just keep taking the same one).

I'm the same. :)

I do add a Vitamin D and calcium supplement - calcium since I'm breastfeeding, and vitamin D since I'm in an area where deficiency is really common. Neither are in sufficient quantities through the prenatal alone, although I do eat foods that are high in calcium anyway, and get outside time. It's just an extra help, not a miracle cure.

As far as getting things from food, a lot of these vitamins and minerals are in relatively low-calorie foods, too. One of the things I like about this way of eating is I can experiment a little bit and adjust over time. If I'm not familiar with a vegetable, I can learn how to prepare it. The other thing is to take a broad view of it - I may not get every single nutrient to the max every single day, but over time I am eating a sufficient variety to include most of those things in appropriate quantities for overall general health. My doctors and midwives are happy with that.
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Same with above. I tale Vitamin D caise I live in Canada and we dont get alot of sunshine:) I also take b12 once a week- any more on the b12 and I break out.