Need indian diet plan

Options
2»

Replies

• Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The rice thing gets me everything... I just can not eat half a cup.... how do people do it? I've been eating rice since I could eat solids lol. I reckon though the biggest step in Indian cooking, which is similar to Bangladeshi cooking except less amount of red meats, is that LAY OFF THE OIL!!! goodness, I mean when I watch them cook here in my in laws house, I swear you can take that oil, charge a fee and turn it into a community pool. I reckon if you even just use a teaspoon and tablespoon of oil as oppose to the half a cup of oil that is typically used, it will deffo cut out ALOT Of calories! :D
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I am Indian...and the Indian diet is without question the unhealthiest diet in the entire world. Even staple " day to day " foods are significantly unhealthier than western ' junk food'....and thats just VEGETARIAN food.

If you want to make this work for you, I suggest as others have that you modify entirely the recipes. This is what I did.

I enquired why just being south asian alone is a risk factor for diabetes and chronic heart disease ...no surprise my doctor said it was purely down to diet.
  • ChetThaker
    ChetThaker Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Some really great tips and advice. Bumping to keep track.

My own thoughts which many of which have been mentioned:

1. Switch to whole wheat breads
    2. Brown rice instead of white rice (I've got used to it)
    3. Reduce the fried stuff and pastries like Samosa, Kachori etc
    4. Eat more veggies, dals, pulses, beans (also good for increasing Protein intake)
    5. Use cooking oils such as Canola oil, Olive Oil, Sunflower oil
    6. Watch your carb intake - very easy to go overboard with Indian food
    7. If you eat meat Chicken curries are good since they can be low carb/calorie and higher in protein
    8. Indian desserts....try to stay well clear. Can be very high in sugar and saturated fats.
    9. Switch from whole milk to semi-skimmed/skimmed
    10. Just substitute the things you normally have with the same things but better alternatives (e.g. item #1 and #2)
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am of Bangaldeshi origin, so I have the same problem as you.

My main problem is that I love my carbs - so rice with curry, pasta and bread! When I am eating rice and curry, I find it hard to cut down on my rice, I go way over my portion! Also, I have a really busy life with work and a 3 year old, so have little time to plan ahead. I think I need to put more time towards this if I want to succeed.
  • SaiSrini
    SaiSrini Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know how tough it is if you eat Indian food. I use MFP and eat Indian food (90-95% of my week) and the calculations are all wrong. That's why what I do is to make sure that I eat 300-400 cals less than my goal (to account for error in calculations).

Rice and oil are the biggest culprits in Indian food. Especially if you eat at restaurants, which are majorly unhealthy. It takes time getting used to brown rice, but they are healthy and beneficial in the long run.
  • dbhowmik366
    dbhowmik366 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Stella, for creating such a helpful forum for individuals living with diabetes. Today I have come here to discuss my father-in-law's diabetes fall. He was a patient of diabetes but recently he is suffering from sugar fall and also losing weight drastically. We have consulted doctor but due to the pandemic situation out there we are unable to reach out proper guidance. So, a neighbor to us has suggested my father-in-law to follow a 3000 calorie Indian diet to gain weight. Will it be safe for him? Please guide me. It is urgent! I will be eagerly waiting for your reply and guidance on this matter. Hope to get positive responses soon.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    One thing I do, and this is totally non traditional, but it meets my nutritional needs, is I use chopped veggies to replace rice in a lot of things. I am not really a fan of the riced cauliflower, mostly because it is such a pain to chop cauliflower so finely. I often use cabbage (cheap and easy to chop), but sometimes will use other greens, like kale or celery.

I also combine things I have seen elsewhere. For example, I have eaten eggplant masala and I have eaten channa masala, but at home we have both eggplant and chickpeas in our masala.

I I make pakora, I use ground flaxseeds as the thickener, rather than rice flour or cornstarch (adds fiber).

Personally, I also skip the naan, but when I can fit it in, I either buy whole grain naan or make my own from whole wheat flour.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,594 Member
    Options
    Thread revived by a spam bot.

My personal opinion is that indian cuisine, especially when looking at the vegetarian parts of it, would "naturally" tend to be fairly low cal... were it not for human intervention and the addition of tasty fats and calorific "accompaniments" that may have equal or more calories than the "main dish".
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    I am not really a fan of the riced cauliflower, mostly because it is such a pain to chop cauliflower so finely.

Just on this point - you can buy pre made cauliflower rice - both fresh and frozen versions

At least you can in supermarkets where I live - might be worth a look if you dont want to do it yourself?

(I know this is a old thread but replying to 2021 post)
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    NVintage wrote: »

What's the hype about peanut butter?? It's not big here although some brands are coming out with it but I'm afraid to buy it coz I think I tasted it in Bhutan and it was their local brand and almost gagged.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter, but 2 Tbsp on toast would be a choking hazard, haha. Who thought up that diet? I put a small tsp on toast and that's plenty!
    NVintage wrote: »

What's the hype about peanut butter?? It's not big here although some brands are coming out with it but I'm afraid to buy it coz I think I tasted it in Bhutan and it was their local brand and almost gagged.