Does this still count the frozen weight, I'm confused.

curtiswood
curtiswood Posts: 1 Member
edited April 2021 in Food and Nutrition
foet4ezuurof.png

It's a 900 gram bag of frozen Broccoli. I am a little confused though. I weighed 300 grams worth of (frozen) broccoli and when I weighed it after (boiling) it was 189 grams (111 grams lighter). After seeing this on the pack (When boiled according to instructions.) I am not sure if those stats are for frozen or boiled broccoli, because It makes no sense to weigh your food after you cook it.

If anyone could help would be great lol.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Generally, the weights are in the state it is delivered in, not the state it is consumed in.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,095 Member
    edited April 2021
    Generally, the weights are in the state it is delivered in, not the state it is consumed in.

Except when stated otherwise on the label. And in this case it is stated on the label, even if it is silly for the manufacturer not to include the nutritional data for the frozen product.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    Sure looks that the values given are... for after boiling according to instructions.

No mention whether you should wait for it to cool or what happens when the broccoli continues to lose weight due to evaporation while still hot... :wink:

There seems to be some significant divergence on your weigh ins between frozen and cooked.

Food Data Central (USDA) entries seem to range from 26 to 29 Cal per 100g between uncooked and cooked... that's the first three I checked. There are 11 relevant ones to check between SR Legacy and Survey using "broccoli frozen" (all words required) as search terms

26 Cal (one of the unprepared frozen broccoli entries on food data central) to 34 Cal (as listed in your picture) for a 100g of broccoli is a 76% yield, with 24% disappearing in the ether.

You're suggesting a 189/300 = 63% yield, or 37% disappearing in the ether.

Seems excessive.... I suppose, it depends on how and whether they fluffed up the frozen broccoli before packaging it!

In general... not sure if broccoli would be the hill I would apply such effort to given the relatively small caloric impact it has even in quantity... though the practice of looking things up via Food Data Central is probably a good idea!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    I would interpret the nutritional value as being for the indicated amount of the frozen product, assuming that you boil it according to instructions, instead of cooking it in some manner that would add calories (such as cooking in fat or smothering in butter after you've cooked it.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »

Except when stated otherwise on the label. And in this case it is stated on the label, even if it is silly for the manufacturer not to include the nutritional data for the frozen product.

Totally missed that!