How do I get my period back? What am I doing wrong?

I lost 35 ish lbs in the past year, going from 133 to 98 lbs. I’m 5’4 and I lost my period when I was 126 (so well into the healthy range). For the past 4/5 months I have upped my calories to around 1500 and as a sedentary person I’m maintaining my weight. Period is still missing though and it will have been gone for a year next month. Could anyone give me tips or have a look at my food diary? Weight gain may help but I’m so happy with my body and I don’t know how much I’d need to gain

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    You must gain weight since you are underweight. I agree with others who suggested that you see a doctor.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Please see a medical professional, as others have said.

This might not apply to you, but I'm going to mention it simply because it hasn't been mentioned yet and doesn't seem to be widely known: if you are on hormonal birth control (or were) that's another layer to untangle with the doctor or midwife. When you're on the Pill or other hormone methods you (are supposed to with most kinds, anyway) have the appearance of cycles but you're not actually cycling. Any bleeding is a result of hormone withdrawal, not genuine menstruation.

Again, this might not apply, but if it does, or for anybody reading the thread, I think it's worth mentioning because confusing withdrawal bleeding with menstruation can mean a lot of misunderstandings about female health.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    You'll need to go to an ob/gyne to get this straightened out, and you may be put on birth control. It likely stopped because you weren't/aren't eating enough, and are now underweight. This happened to me when I was 15 on an extreme diet. Even though I gained some weight back, I needed to be put on birth control to get my cycles regular again.
  • penguinmama87
    You'll need to go to an ob/gyne to get this straightened out, and you may be put on birth control. It likely stopped because you weren't/aren't eating enough, and are now underweight. This happened to me when I was 15 on an extreme diet. Even though I gained some weight back, I needed to be put on birth control to get my cycles regular again.

This is the kind of thing I mean - you're not having cycles on the Pill, only the appearance of them. The hormones themselves can treat some issues so that's why they are often prescribed not strictly as contraceptives, but as designed there's not supposed to be any ovulating or menstruating (sometimes there is breakthrough ovulation especially with low-dose or single-hormone variations - I feel like whenever I'm pregnant I have at least one random stranger, completely unsolicited, tell me about their "pill baby.") You have a withdrawal bleed with the 28-day pill pack because the last seven are placebo pills with no hormones.

I'm not saying the hormone treatment didn't work! But while you were taking the drugs you were not having "regulated" cycles - you were having no cycles. But maybe once you stopped treatment they were more normal. :)

• penguinmama87

This might not apply to you, but I'm going to mention it simply because it hasn't been mentioned yet and doesn't seem to be widely known: if you are on hormonal birth control (or were) that's another layer to untangle with the doctor or midwife. When you're on the Pill or other hormone methods you (are supposed to with most kinds, anyway) have the appearance of cycles but you're not actually cycling. Any bleeding is a result of hormone withdrawal, not genuine menstruation.

Again, this might not apply, but if it does, or for anybody reading the thread, I think it's worth mentioning because confusing withdrawal bleeding with menstruation can mean a lot of misunderstandings about female health.

Actually this is helpful. I'm not on birth control. But I was planning on going to the doctors and asking for some. I think I'm just being in denial that I need to gain weight and there's no other way around it

Yes, please do!

Your body is meant to have a cycle. A properly functioning reproductive system is actually a really good sign of health. Other markers to look out for - is your hair still growing well, or is it falling out or breaking more often? How about your nails? Are you feeling very fatigued a lot or does your brain feel fuzzy? These things are all signs that your body is sticking as much to the basics as it can, just to keep you alive. Eating more, having a little bit of reserves, will mean that your body can use energy for these other things that help us feel our best and work as they're designed to work.

I would still suggest speaking to someone about this, because they can point you to useful resources that will help you maintain a healthy weight and outlook about that weight, too. <3
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Echoing all of the above, talk to a doctor. Being underweight has serious health implications, and missing your period is just one of them. Also, just to be sure, take a pregnancy test if you’ve been sexually active even once in the last 6-7 months (so going back at least 2 months before your first missed period).
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member

This is the kind of thing I mean - you're not having cycles on the Pill, only the appearance of them. The hormones themselves can treat some issues so that's why they are often prescribed not strictly as contraceptives, but as designed there's not supposed to be any ovulating or menstruating (sometimes there is breakthrough ovulation especially with low-dose or single-hormone variations - I feel like whenever I'm pregnant I have at least one random stranger, completely unsolicited, tell me about their "pill baby.") You have a withdrawal bleed with the 28-day pill pack because the last seven are placebo pills with no hormones.

I'm not saying the hormone treatment didn't work! But while you were taking the drugs you were not having "regulated" cycles - you were having no cycles. But maybe once you stopped treatment they were more normal. :)

Yes, my cycles did go back to normal once I stopped and I think taking the pill did get them started back up pretty immediately. I also had gained weight and was eating more at that point. The thing was, even though I was eating more normally and put on some weight, my cycles didn't start back up again, and I wasn't technically "underweight" by then. This was in the early 90's, so it's quite possible the treatment for this has changed, but this was my experience.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Doctor
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member

Actually this is helpful. I'm not on birth control. But I was planning on going to the doctors and asking for some. I think I'm just being in denial that I need to gain weight and there's no other way around it[/quote]

In addition to your doctor (OB/GYN), consider a licensed therapist or counselor due to the bolded above. If you have emotional and/or psychological reasons for not wanting to gain the weight, any MD saying "gain some weight" might not completely resolve your health issues.

It really is telling that you are at a weight too low for your body to function properly, so that a certain function has noticeably shut down. Please take care of yourself! <3
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You should research the origin of the term "canary in the coal mine".

When you think about it it is a pretty sad commentary about the things that humans do to other animals, to other humans, and to themselves.

But it paints a vivid picture and an undeniable warning when the canary dies.

Your canary died about 11 months ago.

And just like with the real canaries, this is only the visible tip of the iceberg of problems that are taking place inside your body right now.

You can continue living in the mine, or you can approach your doctor(s) and politely, but insistently, demand that they help you address the situation.

The good news is that, unlike the ones in the coal mines, with a lot of effort, your canary CAN be fixed!

Is the canary's name Aunt Flo?

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    This is a red flag.