Rattlesnake Peak #14/18

Options
Have you ever gone on a hike, finished it then wondered “why did I do that?”. Well that’s Rattlesnake Peak for me. I only picked it because it’s listed as the second most difficult hike in the San Gabriel’s next to Iron Mountain (which I completed no problem). My first mistake was going with a meetup group. It was small (5 of us) so I thought it would be ok. The hike is 8.3 miles round trip,steep climbing elevation gain of 4,110 ft with summit of 5,826 ft.

First part of the hike was fine up to the summit. We would stop and regroup periodically. The weather was cool but the trail was terrible, not marked, really overgrown, rocky, sandy etc
al1oc8pk979g.jpeg
cn812kupigc2.jpeg
wcdl2n4i4xb1.jpeg

At the summit I could see other peaks I’ve climbed including Baldy, Wilson, Iron Mountain

9lwzga3wcxcx.jpeg

So now the problems start. We descend but the lead decides not to wait and not to tell us he’s not waiting. I had AllTrails but sometimes it was still hard to see where I was supposed to go. I ended up off route several times and had to climb back up to find it. Then near the end of the hike I got really off route. I should have backtracked but I decided to see if I could circle the hill and get down the other side. I ended up in a big mess of manzanita, no trail. Had to go up and back over the hill and almost slide down to the trail. I only found it because some hikers helped me. I’ve had a lot of issues with meetup groups which is why I don’t hike with them unless I know the lead and/or the trail. I thought this would be ok but wow, the lead even left behind his friend who got cramps, got lost too and had a group of hikers bring him out. Wasn’t a great day. Just wanted to go home.

Next up is one of my favorite hikes with a fantastic trail , part on the PCT, a scramble on a backbone and pine forest. And I’ve known the leader for over a year and he never leaves anyone behind.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What a dirt bag. I’m glad you found your way. Losing the trail is no fun, I’ve done it.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    Wow. I have never done Meetups, but that just cinched it.

Beautiful pics regardless. Too bad it went badly. I've had similar trips with people I don't know very well.

It was an adventure.

You didn't get rattlesnake bit. :neutral:
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Wow. I have never done Meetups, but that just cinched it.

Beautiful pics regardless. Too bad it went badly. I've had similar trips with people I don't know very well.

It was an adventure.

You didn't get rattlesnake bit. :neutral:

Exactly! One of the reasons I even considered meetup for this was I don’t like snakes and I didn’t see any but others did. In thinking about it more I should have retraced my steps. Instead I could see the trail below and thought I could just keep going forward (since I was only 10 minutes to where the trail met the fire road )which only got me into a bigger mess. I was angry about the meetup leader and I let my emotions take over. I usually hike alone and have my Garmin InReach on and thoroughly research my route. I should know better that you can only rely on yourself to find your way out. But I’m definitely done with meetup groups.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I'm a scuba diver and it's another endeavor that doesn't lend itself to being with someone who you can't trust with your life, so I get it.

Even if/when we agree about needs and expectations, someone who doesn't have an ongoing trust relationship with me just seems to be - uh - untrustworthy.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options

@cheriej2042
    Exactly! One of the reasons I even considered meetup for this was I don’t like snakes and I didn’t see any but others did. In thinking about it more I should have retraced my steps. Instead I could see the trail below and thought I could just keep going forward (since I was only 10 minutes to where the trail met the fire road )which only got me into a bigger mess. I was angry about the meetup leader and I let my emotions take over. I usually hike alone and have my Garmin InReach on and thoroughly research my route. I should know better that you can only rely on yourself to find your way out. But I’m definitely done with meetup groups.

Sorry it ended up this way. It's a wise idea not to hike alone especially in the backcountry with grizzlies, rattlesnakes and other wild critters. Lesson learned, always bring your GPS unit and safety gear regardless who you're hiking with. We must be prepared to get out of any situation by ourselves if the leader goes down and we need to go for help.

• cmriverside
    Options
    Diatonic, maybe you didn't get the gist of her post.

She did have the necessary equipment, she's an experienced hiker and she found her way out.

I think that was an unnecessary lecture.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »

@cheriej2042

Sorry it ended up this way. It's a wise idea not to hike alone especially in the backcountry with grizzlies, rattlesnakes and other wild critters. Lesson learned, always bring your GPS unit and safety gear regardless who you're hiking with. We must be prepared to get out of any situation by ourselves if the leader goes down and we need to go for help.

@Diatonic12 Speaking of which, mountain lions are out there too.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I usually hike alone and have my Garmin InReach on and thoroughly research my route. I should know better that you can only rely on yourself to find your way out. But I’m definitely done with meetup groups.

I got the gist, riverside.