Convert me to strength training?

Options
Okay. So I don't like strength training. I don't enjoy doing sit ups, never could do a push up, and it's just flat out boring to me. I like doing pilates, but after a few weeks I get bored of the same videos. I also feel like I am in constant pain the next day. I don't have money or access to a gym. I know there are things I can do at home but... is it THAT important in losing weight, honestly? I love doing cardio. I don't get bored with it and love how my body feels. And to be honest... all the times in my life that I've tried a strength training program at home, I've never noticed a difference in muscle tone. Maybe I have too much fat over my muscles, I don't know. I've heard that you should do strength training when trying to lose a lot of weight because it helps you to burn calories... But cardio has always worked fine for me. I guess I am just lacking motivation to start up a program again seeing as I haven't seen any results for my own body in the past, while I'm sure it has worked wonders on many other people. Any suggestions/advice from 'firm' believers? :P

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    When you lose weight you lose fat and muscle. If you DON'T strength train, you lose muscle at an accelerated pace. The more muscle you lose, the lower your metabolic rate goes. So where you used to burn 300 calories doing something in 30 minutes, it may now take more than 45-60 minutes to burn the same amount. Not just because you're lighter, but fat tissue doesn't efficiently burn calories.
    And you can still be at a normal weight but over fat. Strength training nixes this.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and pick up the weights, princess :happy:
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    When you lose weight you lose fat and muscle. If you DON'T strength train, you lose muscle at an accelerated pace. The more muscle you lose, the lower your metabolic rate goes. So where you used to burn 300 calories doing something in 30 minutes, it may now take more than 45-60 minutes to burn the same amount. Not just because you're lighter, but fat tissue doesn't efficiently burn calories.
    And you can still be at a normal weight but over fat. Strength training nixes this.

I agree... the more lean muscle mass you have (which you gain through strength training) the more fat loss you will experience.. just because you may be shrinking in size and losing weight doesn't necessarily mean the "fat" is gone... in turn creating a "loose skin" effect and so forth..
  • BIG_Lew
    BIG_Lew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and pick up the weights, princess :happy:
    [/quote
    *Agree* u can do it :bigsmile:
  • Brook70
    Brook70 Posts: 164
    Options
    What can you do at home to strength train?
  • vibral
    Options

small barbells, the rubber bands (I know that's not their real name, but that's what they look like- I think they're resistance bands), heck you can even lift plastic bags with a few cans in them. Save milk gallon containers and fill with water use them for lifting (just make sure you secure that lid). Squats you don't really need weights for.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I got my my "goal weight" and was still a size 6 and ran a marathon, I did strength training (P90X) and am now a size 0. I lost more size than weight, as I stayed the same on the scale. Not to mention - I "look" fit before i just looked thinner than my previous self.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

I use Bowflex SelectTech weights and resistance bands. If you don't know much about strength training, there are a lot of dvd programs out there. I use Chalean Extreme. But, you must lift heavy! :flowerforyou:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You may consider a kettlebell routine - it's strength training and cardio at the same time. May peek your interest longer. I like Lorna Kleidmans book Body Structuring for Women with a Kettlebell. I've never done Jillian Michaels Kettlebell routine but heard you can get hurt following it as she doesn't do it correctly. I got videos off NetFlix until I found a kettlebell one I liked. I stared with 10 Minute Kettlebells and loved it.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options

Never thought about this, thank you! Do you need to do it a lot, or is just twice a week sufficient?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    and strength training further improves body composition so you don't end up skinny fat after losing a lot of weight