50+ beginner weight lifting

Options
Newbie here, looking for some tips on starting with weight lifting. Insight?

Replies

• TinaLeigh67
    TinaLeigh67 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I started lifting weights at 48 for the first time in my life. I'm no expert, but I started with light dumbbells and basic exercises at home. I actually looked up workouts on Pinterest. Not sure if you plan on using a gym or do home workouts. You could get assistance at a gym with a personal trainer. I just slowly built up weight and difficulty. Through research, I found Bret Contreras who has a book that I used. Strong Curves: A Womans Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body. I really like it. Workouts are already set. You just follow it. Just a suggestion. Best of luck. I found that I made much better progress with weight loss and getting my body into the shape I wanted once I started lifting weights. I am not a cardio person!
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I started at around 48. Going heavy (subject to your ability and knowing proper form) will give you the best bang for your buck but you need gym weights for that. I have a bar and weights at home now, because I love it and needed the kit for lockdown, but it's expensive and takes up space so you really don't want to be buying it until you are sure you want it. If you are going to go to a gym you might as well get at least some advice from a personal trainer to start you off right. The quality of trainers in gyms varies hugely (at least it does in the UK) so my strategy untIl I knew what to look for was to Google the hell out of any exercise a trainer suggested. If the majority of sites agreed with the form advised by the trainer I was confident he was advising me right.

I have tended to find that the sites geared towards men have better form guides. The very honourable exception to this is Girls Gone Strong and I recommend you have a look at their site. Jeff Cavaliere who has AthleanX on You Tube seems sound. On Instagram Joel Seedman and Sonny Webster have good content, though Seedman is so advanced it's more something to watch than do. The previous poster has mentioned Bret Contreras. I have not done his programs but I've seen some of his output and he seems sound.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started at 59 and worked with a trainer. I started strength training at the same time I started my 150 lb weight loss journey. It was the perfect strategy for me.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Options
    I'm normally no a big fan of machines but for a raw noobie I would suggest using the machines at your gym 2-3 times a week hitting all major body parts 2-3 set and 8-12 repetitions.

After about a month of acclimatization you can look at various programs that will incorporate free weights based on your goals.

Best of luck.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I’ve been using this one. Simple to me.

https://youtu.be/oAHwQJLFy6w
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Newbie here, looking for some tips on starting with weight lifting. Insight?

What equipment do you have access to?
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Read the sticky notes at the top of the forum under must read, most helpful posts. There's some really good advice. And you'll be introduced to several weight lifting programs. It's a lot of info.

Do schedule a personal trainer and if that's not possible, keep watching youtube videos and perhaps video your own form. Good form is everything.

And start sooner vs later and don't be afraid to lift heavy (once you've got good form of course)

There's a really good thread probably in success forum with tons of pictures of before and after..the theme is always lift heavy.

Good luck!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    There is a book called New Rules for Lifting for Life for us "more mature" folk, who may be more prone to injuries and chronic aches. This is where I started when I wanted to get serious about heavy lifting (around age 40, I think). I was already doing regular resistance training,but wanted to focus on actually getting stronger. After that I progressed and don't feel nearly as much "crankiness" in my back anymore.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,811 Member
    Options
    I hired a trainer. Best thing I ever did for myself. But it may take a minute to find one you trust, or who isn’t a bully.

I started at age 56, and am very happy with the results.

Here’s the thread @bebeisfit mentioned:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1