I quit!!

Options
Last night I had my last cigarette.:drinker: I do not smoke anymore. :drinker: I'm hoping that if I have a positive mindset that it will be eaiser to quit. As long as I don't forget that I don't smoke, I'm okay. A few times, I forgot that I no longer smoke and my mind said, "go smoke". Then I have to fight myself a little and convince myself that I don't smoke. I am not planning on gaining weight but if I do, at least it will be 50 times easier to exercise with healthier lungs with makes losing weight so much easier!! So, I quit smoking. I'm very happy. :bigsmile: Any and all prayers for strength and to be nice mommy would be appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• its time for change
    Options
    Last night I had my last cigarette.:drinker: I do not smoke anymore. :drinker: I'm hoping that if I have a positive mindset that it will be eaiser to quit. As long as I don't forget that I don't smoke, I'm okay. A few times, I forgot that I no longer smoke and my mind said, "go smoke". Then I have to fight myself a little and convince myself that I don't smoke. I am not planning on gaining weight but if I do, at least it will be 50 times easier to exercise with healthier lungs with makes losing weight so much easier!! So, I quit smoking. I'm very happy. :bigsmile: Any and all prayers for strength and to be nice mommy would be appreciated. :flowerforyou:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of you!!
    I know that's a hard thing to do b/c I was a smoker and I quit about 3 years ago.
    We're here for you every step of the way.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    LOL! I just about fell off my chair when I saw the thread. I didn't think you were so fed up with us that you quit :laugh: Glad this is about smoking:wink: You have my prayers - I know how difficult it is - and for calmness to be a nice mommy!!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    LOL! I just about fell off my chair when I saw the thread. I didn't think you were so fed up with us that you quit :laugh: Glad this is about smoking:wink: You have my prayers - I know how difficult it is - and for calmness to be a nice mommy!!
    Me too!!!:laugh:
    I was like, Oh lordy.. another one bites the dust!
    But no no... it's a good 'I quit'.

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Me too!!!:laugh:
    I was like, Oh lordy.. another one bites the dust!
    But no no... it's a good 'I quit'.

Me too, I was so ready to say something like "don't quit, you can do it, keep at it."

But, I'm very relieved to be able to say: "Good for you! You quitter, you!." :wink: (I've quit many things in my life, and smoking is one of them. Wait till you start really TASTING food again. An apple will knock you out, trust me!"
  • KJaxFL
    KJaxFL Posts: 16
    Options
    LOL.
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey too!! For me It was fairly easy. This was before I had kids and we would always have friends over BBQing and drinking and such. I always used to smoke ALOT when I drank but after the first three days and all the nicotine is out of your system it should be no problem for you. You can do it, you just have to get past your cigarette triggers ie. coffee and a cig in the morning or after you eat and such. I think It is much easier than using the patch because you still have that trickle of nicotine in ur system and it takes far longer to wean from it than to just let it work its way out quickly. Does that make sense? Just remember the three day hump. After that its cake!
  • dmessner1984
    Options
    Good for you!! I also just recently quit smoking. It's been tough, but also very rewarding! My prayers are with you!!
  • its time for change
    Options
    Thank you, thank you everyone. =) I just tried to check and see if I could edit the topic name and I can't, so I guess I look like a big quitter, lol. It's funny, I did not want to write I quit smoking on the main topic because I have always hid my smoking. I don't smoke in public, I don't adverstise that I smoke (used to smoke), when I buy (used to buy) cigarettes, I never asked my nice cashier that I just talked to to get them for me, I go to customer service, lol. I am (was) a closet smoker. Not literally, I never smoked in the house I would hide on my back porch, not the front, the neighbors might have seen me.

Smoking rules everything that I do. Where I go, for how long, whether I eat or don't eat, whether I will go across the street and visit a friend or not (don't want to smell like smoke). I'm so happy that as soon as I get passed this quitting phase that I will not be ruled by anything anymore. No more grumpy mommy after I take my kids out to eat and then to park because I am lacking my nicotine. No more smelly stinky, oh no some one rang the doorbell, let me go change my shirt and spray my hair kind of visits.

I was thinking of the Dido song today, Rent. And I realized that I am not longer for rent. I am taking ownership of my life in all aspects. My mental health is being taken care of by my liberating myself from always being with my kids 24/7/365 and by starting to incorporate exercise . I am liberating myself from bad foods that make me sick and eating for no reason. I am liberating myself from being a caffeine addict, and now I am truly liberating my entire well being by quitting smoking. I'm sorry that I am making all of you listen to this but there is really no one else that I can tell without being told "I told you that you should have quit forever ago". And if they aren't going to say that they are going to be shocked that I smoked.

Thanks for listening and thank you for the support. :smile:
  • wackadoodle
    wackadoodle Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I have 9 smokes left in my pack that I will finish today and then I QUIT TOO! Its gonna be hard but I have done it before cold turkey and I will do it again. So tomorrow I will be smoke free for my first day. I need to do this for myself and I will! So you have a partner for support in me if you like. :happy:

I WILL DO THIS and I WONT over eat in the process.

Good Luck to you too!
    Peggy
  • its time for change
    Options
    I would love to be your partner. It would be nice to have someone that understands!!
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I am also a past smoker of 11 years. Quit when I met my boyfriend almost 5 years ago. You will feel so good once you get over that initial hump of headaches, cravings and irritibility. When you want a smoke try to work out instead and see if the adreneline helps...:flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Oh good! My first thought was "Oh no, not another one." I'm glad you quit smoking. Congratulations to you and good luck. I'll be praying for you.
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The first two weeks are the hardest. Arm yourself with amunition!!! Sugar free candies, baby carrots, nuts, 100 calorie packs..... anything you can think of to help fight the need to bring your hand to your mouth. My thoughts are with you! I have been there and done that! I can't tell you how good it feels to be a NON-smoker and to be losing weight and to be able TO BREATH!!!!!!!!!

:drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • thebadbear
    Options
    Congrats! I GUARANTEE you that its one of the best things you will ever do!
  • its time for change
    Options
    I am totally struggling right now. Not much longer and I will be 24 hours smoke free. I'm starting to get really grumpy. The more time that passes the more I get ready to go out and smoke. Then I remind myself that I don't smoke, then I go to grab food, then I remind myself that I am dieting, so then I immediately get ready to smoke again. ugh. vicious cycle:sad:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I quit, too! Being sick helped, but I'd been readying myself for it for a bit and finally gave away the rest of my pack. I've not had any nicotine for 3.5 days. I need a support partner, too, if you want someone else there for you! I read something the other day that said to look at a clock every time you crave a cigarette. Sometimes it will feel like the cravings last for hours but if we note the time, the longest they actually last is about three minutes. They say that the cravings are fewer and fewer between. I keep telling myself, "I am a non-smoker." Affirmations...I like em...Good luck and congrats! I am hoping this will help me to have stronger workouts!
  • paulam
    paulam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a brutal vicious cycle. I just quit also about 4 day's ago. Mostly i'm a "smoker when I drink" person. So lately since i've been trying to lose weight i've not been drinking so it hasn't been terribly difficult.But i'm having surgery in a couple of weeks so I"m "forced" to quit. Knowing I can't smoke even if I wanted to helps. But in any event, it's difficult. Stick with it . You can do it!!!
  • pattyhergs
    pattyhergs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! I am off 8 years!!!! Drink lots of water, chew sugarless gum and don't have any of your triggers (coffee, drinks, etc) until you know you can handle them without a cigarette. You'll do it. Just think, once you quit your lungs slowly start to heal themselves. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • pattyhergs
    pattyhergs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oops! Double clicked on the post!! Sorry.