How much protein is too much?

Options
I've read that, for weight-loss, you need to eat your body weight (in kilograms) in protein.

I'm 176lbs at 5'10 (down from 188 when first joining MFP). Recently, I've started consuming a little over 76 grams of protein daily (probably about 80/90 grams after factoring the fish and poultry). My diet consists of very low fat and very low carbs (that's everyday, not just a "fad" thing). I'm very anal about tracking, and, everyday, I'm always in the red in protein, but green in everything else. Usually, with protein, I'm about -36 to -50.

So, basically, over 50% of my caloric intake is from protein (whey protein, to be precise). I consume 1250 - 1580 calories a day.

Am I consuming too much protein? Not enough? How much should I be consuming?

Advice would be really helpful! =^-^=

Replies

• emma1488
    Options
    How do you FEEL, and is it working for YOU?

Make sure you are eating plenty of fibre, especially when on a high protein diet!
  • rsparks38
    Options
    I would love to know more about this!
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 40%.... They say the rule of thumb is 1 gram per every pound you weigh. Plus I have always read that to go over in protein is fine but it's the fat you don't want to go over in which I guess makes sense. Hopes this helps!! Good luck!
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 40%.... They say the rule of thumb is 1 gram per every pound you weigh. Plus I have always read that to go over in protein is fine but it's the fat you don't want to go over in which I guess makes sense. Hopes this helps!! Good luck!
  • lynnspittal
    Options
    Check out a diet plan called 'Bodytrim'. He's an Australian that advocates it, but he would definitley agree that you're on the right track. I have tried it and it's a definite winner re weight loss. My problem was I couldn't sustain it because I loved carbs too much. If you can sustain it, you're on a winner. Check the site and and read why the guy believes it works, The science backs him.
  • For the last 8 months I have been eating my GOAL weight in protein, because I pretty much always want to weigh about 10 pounds less even though its not necessary! lol but my goal weight is 130-135, so i aim to eat between 100-130. I always get to at least 100 easily because i eat a lot of egg whites, greek yogurt, and chicken. once i started doing this i naturally ate less carbs (i dont try to though, im a runner and need the whole grains, only whole grains!) because i was focused on eating more protein. I have lost another 15 since january eating like this and it helps me to maintain my weight now definitely. Dont eat processed protein like protein bars and whatnot though. I eat very clean so that includes egg whites, lean chicken, greek yogurt, and lots of greens. I use a protein powder once in awhile but only if im in the mood for a homemade smoothie. So i would definitely say eat your goal weight in protein!
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options

You watch Dr. Phil don't you...lol
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    too much protein won't be detrimental to you, however very low fat is prob not as advisable, i'd shoot for at least .35g of fat per lb of bodyweight so about 61g of fat a day (~540cals in fat) you can prob get away with a little bit less though. Also depending on how long you've been doing low carb a carb up day here and there could be beneficial to you
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist said to eat 75-100 grams a day so that is what I do.
  • emma1488
    Options
    Check out a diet plan called 'Bodytrim'. He's an Australian that advocates it, but he would definitley agree that you're on the right track. I have tried it and it's a definite winner re weight loss. My problem was I couldn't sustain it because I loved carbs too much. If you can sustain it, you're on a winner. Check the site and and read why the guy believes it works, The science backs him.

I would not recommend body trim to anyone. It's pretty much a meat only diet. Not healthy! I did it for about 3 weeks and lost heaps of weight very quickly but became insanely constipated and as soon as I ate anything with a carb in it my body all the weight back on plus more. Not only is it a bad diet for your body (sure you lose weight quickly), but its bloody expensive and results in a bad impact on the planet.
  • emma1488
    Options

You watch Dr. Phil don't you...lol

Oh god no! hahaha
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I've got my macros set to 40/30/30..... I get anywhere from 80-120 grams of protein a day. So I average 1gram for every pound I weigh. I only weigh about 100 pounds.
  • emma1488
    Options
    I've read that, for weight-loss, you need to eat your body weight (in kilograms) in protein.

I'm 176lbs at 5'10 (down from 188 when first joining MFP). Recently, I've started consuming a little over 76 grams of protein daily (probably about 80/90 grams after factoring the fish and poultry). My diet consists of very low fat and very low carbs (that's everyday, not just a "fad" thing). I'm very anal about tracking, and, everyday, I'm always in the red in protein, but green in everything else. Usually, with protein, I'm about -36 to -50.

So, basically, over 50% of my caloric intake is from protein (whey protein, to be precise). I consume 1250 - 1580 calories a day.

Am I consuming too much protein? Not enough? How much should I be consuming?

Advice would be really helpful! =^-^=

Are you lifting weights? Protein is very good for muscle development, so why not use your protein effectively and start lifting heavy weights. It will not only make you look good, but it will help to speed up your metabolism (which you might need if you have been an avid yoyo dieter-i looked at your profile) as muscles need heaps of calories just to exist.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Agree with the minimum fat and protein acg67 recommended. Being on a low carb & low fat diet is a sure fire way to have very low energy levels. Yes, you need protein to build muscles/maintain LBM on a calorie deficit but you're body also needs fuel. These are generally from carbs and fat. As well as that, proper hormonal function requires dietary fat.
  • Xenobia4
    Options
    Agree with the minimum fat and protein acg67 recommended. Being on a low carb & low fat diet is a sure fire way to have very low energy levels. Yes, you need protein to build muscles/maintain LBM on a calorie deficit but you're body also needs fuel. These are generally from carbs and fat. As well as that, proper hormonal function requires dietary fat.

I always have plenty of energy. I've been doing low carb for about 5 months, now. I have very few throughout the day (maybe a piece of bread during dinner, a sandwich with only one slice of bread - that type of thing). Actually, in the mornings (I get up at 6am for school) I have a protein shake - I don't have enough time for breakfast on Mon., Wed., or Fri. - and I'm out the door. I'm the only one able to stay awake and bouncy for the entire morning. Lol! I'm a walking freak-o-nature.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options

I always have plenty of energy. I've been doing low carb for about 5 months, now. I have very few throughout the day (maybe a piece of bread during dinner, a sandwich with only one slice of bread - that type of thing). Actually, in the mornings (I get up at 6am for school) I have a protein shake - I don't have enough time for breakfast on Mon., Wed., or Fri. - and I'm out the door. I'm the only one able to stay awake and bouncy for the entire morning. Lol! I'm a walking freak-o-nature.
    What they said. Honestly. I eat low-ish carb, but lots of healthy fats and good lean protein. When I do eat carbs, it's early in my day (not at dinner). I cook oats for breakfast, and eat fruits and veggies throughout the day. If I splurge on carbs at night it's in the form of popcorn or the occasional bowl of ice cream as a treat.

Also - There's no such thing as not enough time for breakfast. Seriously. Prepare it the night before if you HONESTLY can't get up 5 mins early to make something quickly to take with you. There's no excuse for not eating in the morning. Common sense folks! :noway:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

What they said. Honestly. I eat low-ish carb, but lots of healthy fats and good lean protein. When I do eat carbs, it's early in my day (not at dinner). I cook oats for breakfast, and eat fruits and veggies throughout the day. If I splurge on carbs at night it's in the form of popcorn or the occasional bowl of ice cream as a treat.

Also - There's no such thing as not enough time for breakfast. Seriously. Prepare it the night before if you HONESTLY can't get up 5 mins early to make something quickly to take with you. There's no excuse for not eating in the morning. Common sense folks! :noway:

have to agree to disagree on the breakfast thing. What matters most is calories/macronutrients over the whole day. The old no carbs before bed thing doesn't hold true in scientific studies.

But on this topic, I meant low carb and low fat re the lack of energy. They are the bodies main sources of fuel. But if you're happy with it then stick with it :smile:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options

have to agree to disagree on the breakfast thing. What matters most is calories/macronutrients over the whole day. The old no carbs before bed thing doesn't hold true in scientific studies.

But on this topic, I meant low carb and low fat re the lack of energy. They are the bodies main sources of fuel. But if you're happy with it then stick with it :smile:
    I agree with all of what you said - I should have been more thorough in my post, but I wrote it in a hurry...

Macros and cals are definitely the most important. Of course. But for most people on this site, learning to moderate, eat healthy balanced meals, and fuel their body's properly is really the ultimate goal. Eating 4-6 smaller meals throughout the day regularly to keep within your calorie/macro goals, and not self-sabotaging with the whole "I have no time" excuse to NOT eat, is really the best way to learn healthy habits and meet your goals. I think that overall about 95% of people on this site could not follow the same food and fitness regimen as yourself and they absolutely do require balance and structure - and that includes regular meals. Fasting, bulking, and then cutting just really doesn't work for most people. And yes, I was being really abrasive but I absolutely cannot stand when people say they have no time for something when there are obvious work arounds. Breakfast is not a huge time-drain.

As for carbs at night vs. in the morning - if you are following a carb restricted diet, there is only so much carbohydrate you can eat throughout the day. Eating your carbs immediately post workout to replenish your glycogen stores and promote recovery is the most effective, since it is also less likely to turn into fat in your body. When exercising for greater than an hour, eating some fast absorbing carbs pre-workout/during your workout also helps to keep your energy up to sustain your workout. Typically, that doesn't leave a lot of carbohydrate to eat at night. It's just a matter of balance. I definitely still eat carbs at night when I have some left in my macros. Popcorn and ice cream are a staple in my diet :bigsmile: It's all about figuring out what works for you.