I’m a Newby to MFP

Options
Hello everyone! Today is day one on MFP, and the next step in my fitness and better health journey. I got focused on March 1st with a 21-Day challenge through Weight Loss God’s Way. That was great! It helped me to establish two new habits (working out at least 15 minutes every day and no eating after 8pm). Now I’m ready for the next step. No weight loss yet, but plenty of successes (inches lost, clothes fit better, new healthy habits, etc.). I’m not gonna lie, not seeing the scale move has been disheartening, but I am hopeful that it will happen eventually.

Looking forward to what’s to come!
Shantel

Replies

• robcharlton1945
    robcharlton1945 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    15 minutes is the absolute minimum to exercise. I would increase that to 20-40 minutes gradually if you can make yourself do it. And, it doesn’t have to be every day. Maybe two or three sessions per week at the longer period while keeping the 15 minute routine the rest of the time. But, keep in mind that diet has a greater direct influence on weight loss than exercise. Be sure to work the two together.
  • zheother
    zheother Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, to drop the weight you need to be in a caloric deficit, check out a TDEE calculators and to start off go for a small deficit, wouldn't go over 500 kcal if I'm being honest.

The simplest exercise for weight-loss would be to go for a walk, grab a phone, track your steps / kilometers / miles and go around the neighborhood.

Good luck and keep on going :smiley:
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,984 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    As silly as this sounds, I had no concept of calories eaten versus excercise calories earned.

I exercised regularly- vinyasa yoga several times a week, walking 10-20,000 steps a day around town. I honestly couldn’t figure out why I never lost weight.

It wasn’t until I joined MFP and got a fitness tracker that I had my lightbulb moment. I began logging food and recording to my food diary at the same time that my tracker began logging burns.

Imagine my shock when I realized that the calories burned nowhere near approached those eaten.

That was when I understood. It wasn’t my body. I didn’t “hold” weight, wasn’t “sick” with some kind of mystical fat-creating malady.

I. Just. Overate.

Period.

Once I recognized that, everything clicked into place and the weight began falling off.