Dieting & night shifts!

Hey everyone!

Just started using my fitness app and I love it! I do two night shifts a week and during the night I usually have something to eat, I don’t miss and meals the day before or after (I have a baby at home so I don’t really get much sleep the day either side of my night). Any night workers got any tips to help me stay on track? X

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Plan ahead.

That's probably the number one thing for me.

I don't work night shift except for special occasions but when I do I know my appetite is going to be through the roof from the lack of sleep and I'm going to need to have easy, ready to eat food that meets my nutrition goals or I'm going to eat way too much or reach for quick junk foods.
  • rachaelfcollins0
    rachaelfcollins0 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you. I did an extra work out today so I’m on track, fingers crossed for tomorrow!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I meal prep the day before I start my night shifts. I have to plan everything out or my night shift tiredness will make me eat more 😂 I try to take a nap before work. Its tough definitely takes some time to figure out what works for you
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    I have a protein bar with me and usually only eat half. When I was working in a hospital I would get hungary during my shift, now working in a care home, I don't and the protein bar sees me through.
  • reneerrt
    reneerrt Posts: 5 Member
    Ive worked nights in a hospital for 20 yrs. the struggle is real! I try to meal prep as much as possible. I generally eat my main meal before midnight 10pm ish. Then i have a a small meal about 5am ish. Mainly try to keep healthy snacks (fruits veggies) close. Good luck!