I like IF, but I need better experts

Options
I've been calorie counting most days since 2014. I previously lost 70 lbs and maintained, all over 4 years, before gaining most of it back over the last few years. (Evaluating a lot of the 'whys' to that is in progress.) I'm now in my 4th month of returning to a thoughtful calorie deficit and am seeing great progress. I decided 3 weeks ago to try IF as a way of eating. It's really been great for me so far in managing hunger/satiety and I spend so much less time thinking about food. I still count and weigh and eat balanced meals when I do. I am careful not to undereat. Now to my question- I've been trying to learn more but I've been really turned off by all the "experts" and authors and podcast people I've found so far. Most outright dismiss CI/CO. I read Fung's Obesity Code and found it dreadful. I'm searching for better literature or advice or groups or forums on the topic that still respects the value of calorie counting. Thanks!

Replies

• viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but here's an informative interview with Martin Berkhan. https://www.leighpeele.com/martin-berkhan-and-intermittent-fasting-interview
    His site is https://leangains.com/tag/intermittent-fasting/
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I did a JStor search and found these that might lead to additional resources for you:

Anson, R., Guo, Z., De Cabo, R., Iyun, T., Rios, M., Hagepanos, A., . . . Mattson, M. (2003). Intermittent Fasting Dissociates Beneficial Effects of Dietary Restriction on Glucose Metabolism and Neuronal Resistance to Injury from Calorie Intake. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 100(10), 6216-6220. Retrieved April 29, 2021, from http://www.jstor.org/stable/3147568

Vondra, K., Rath, R., Bass, A., Kužela, L., & Slabochová, Z. (1976). Effect of Protracted Intermittent Fasting on the Activities of Enzymes Involved in Energy Metabolism, and on the Concentrations of Glycogen, Protein and DNA in Skeletal Muscle of Obese Women. Nutrition and Metabolism, 20(5), 329-337. Retrieved April 29, 2021, from http://www.jstor.org/stable/45098672

Mattson, M., Allison, D., Fontana, L., Harvie, M., Longo, V., Malaisse, W., . . . Panda, S. (2014). Meal frequency and timing in health and disease. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 111(47), 16647-16653. Retrieved April 29, 2021, from http://www.jstor.org/stable/43279367
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I was also curious on the desire to include experts.

For me my natural eating used to be close to IF, or doing IF according to some. I tended to eat all my calories later in the day evening. The only downside I ever had was if I was dropping weight and doing IF, I needed a little more than morning coffee (sugar and milk calories) for longer or stronger cardio sessions or major strength training.

For the most part my through the day energy was fine unless I did workouts earlier in the day. Even them, all it took was small changes and 80-85% of my calories were still remaining for dinner time and later.
  • yuko0407
    yuko0407 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    I've been doing 17:7 + calorie counting for two years. 90 lbs lost. I would never go back to non-IF. Every time I've tried that, I started gaining weight immediately, like that very day. IF keeps me on track in a way no other dieting approach ever has.

This! Such an eye-opener! The very same happened to me during the lockdown(s). It's hard for me to start eating at 3 or 4 pm when I stay home all day long. The result is that I've gained back half what I've lost with IF + calories counting, because I systematically go over my calories if I start eating in the morning. Poor willpower, in my case.

• Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My expert was Thomas de Lauer initially, then Dr Eric Berg I listened to a lot. For me IF curbs my appetite. I do it intermittently, every few days. It changed everything positively for me when I began this practice.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I've read bits and pieces on the 16:8 and various other plans. Ultimately I don't think there are any experts on it in any meaningful way. Therefore you are your own expert on whether and how it works for you for weight control. Autophagy may or may not happen, but if your main goal is weight control, then just do what works.

I've been skipping breakfast since before IF became a more mainstream "thing" because it suits me. I train better fasted and if I eat breakfast I awake the hunger monster and eat more during the day.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    There's been a couple studies comparing the feed window being morning compared to evening - some betterment there to specific items if your health is effected by such.
    If not - it would be attempting to major in the minors.

Search for Time Restricted Eating (TRE) studies which is the other term used since you appear willing to dig.

I could not do morning feed window.
    Those with families and together dinner time - wonder how that would work out too.