Too few calories

Options
Hey Everyone,

So I have a question. I am typically coming in under my goal (1200 calories) a day. I am currently 135 pounds at 5'4 just really trying to lose about 5 to 10 lbs and tone up.

I typically eat A LOT of veggies, which are not high in calories but are very filling (especially spinach). I know it's not healthy to eat less than 1200 calories and my goal is NOT to starve myself but eat healthy and lose the weight in a healthy fashion.

Do you have any tips or suggestions on what is good and healthy but will allow me to eat more around 1200 calories a day than the veggies I currently eat? I typically have meat at dinner which helps but I don't eat meat every day (and get protein elsewhere).

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    A quick easy way to add in healthy calories is almonds. Just a handful or two a day can up your calories a good amount and they are good for you.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Nuts. They have high fat content, but it's good fat and are realllly calorically dense. Try to get some protein in there too, so some lean meats or even a protein bar/shake, that'll add a good 200 calories probably.
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    do you like avocados? Those would help....also nuts....nut butters (I like Almond Butter), quinoa.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Nuts, Greek yogurt, whole foods vs. their low fat/cal counterparts, protein shakes/bars, milk (2% if needed for calories), extra serving of meat & peanut butter
  • lb7970
    lb7970 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others nuts, protein shakes or lowfat cottage cheese and my personal favorite natural peanut butter would help bump up your calorie intake.
  • creatureofchaos
    creatureofchaos Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you want to up your calorie intake in a healthy way, eat more beans and try adding raw nuts and a tablespoon of ground flaxseed to your salads.

I'm vegan and in the same calorie-intake situation, but as long as my body feels good and I'm eating healthy food until I'm sated, I don't worry about it.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats - Avocado, olive oil, nuts, flaxseed, etc.
    Lean protein - low sodium turkey, 0% greek yogurt
    Fruits - apples, berries, melons, etc
  • heidithompson78
    Options
    I am attempting to use protein plus special k, gives you a large amount of protein and has 150 cals per 3/4 cup