How much weight did you have to lose to drop a dress size?

Options
Hello
I have lost 15lbs and still have around 14lbs to drop (thanks lockdown) Personally, I do think I look thinner, however I have still not dropped a dress size, how long did it take you?
Thanks
Jennifer

Replies

• Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Dress sizes are hard to gauge. For example I carry my weight in the chest, no butt. I can wear the same size for a big weight drop because of the way the dress is cut in the chest. I can see even a small loss in the fit of my jeans.
  • overeater1
    overeater1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It took me 20lbs or so to fit properly into the clothes I had without looking stuffed into them (started at 167, 5 8 uk 12) and then magically only 7lbs after that to drop a size.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    The smaller you are, the less you have to lose to drop a size.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on your genetics. I was one of those women who doesn't look like she weighs as much as she does, and started at 289. I've lost 50 pounds, and in that fifty pounds I went down 5 pant sizes. But only down two sizes on tops.... cause I went from wearing a 40F bra to a 32H. In other words, my body isn't dropping any weight in the boobs, and my clothes will have to recognize this, and that will affect dress size and what cuts look good on me.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    This is a trap. A "dress size" by whose standard? Each brand is perplexingly different.

As mentioned by @Allgaun , please consider going by how you feel in your clothes.

It is a much better gauge than going by the feeling you get when seeing the size number stamped on your clothes.
  • JustJenn68
    JustJenn68 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sizes are tricky depending on the country and brand.
  • angnewcomb
    angnewcomb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Definitely depends on where you hold your weight, I hold most of my weight in my belly and chest, always have. A little in my legs and arms and can definitely see it in my face, but the bulk is in my gut...It took me 20 pounds to drop one dress size. I've lost 40 pounds now and still have about 20 more, literally now all in my belly. It's the first place I gain and the last place to come off for me.
  • mel941980
    mel941980 Posts: 49 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I was discouraged the first few months of my weight loss; it took me about 25lbs to go down a size. I quickly went from a size 12 to a size 10, though. I started my weight loss journey in January, 2020 at a size 20 and I'm now a size ten. I've lost almost 90lbs total.
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It's roughly a stone a dress size for me in the past but my body shape has changed with age so not quite the same now. I'VE dropped jeans dress size so they are now the same as my other clothes but I have some T-shirt tops a size smaller but an actual dress looks unsightly.
  • clayfield0813
    clayfield0813 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Dress sizes are different depending on the brand- I literally have to lose 20 pounds to see a drop in dress size.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    About 30 lbs for me to go from US size 10 to US size 8. For size 8 to size 6 was 25ish lbs. Also-- that's for almost identical copies of the same outfit. When I was at my low weight I was wearing size 6, size 8, size 10, small, and medium.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    First, I lost boobs.. then feet (NO KIDDING!) I was so consumed with the fact that I had nothing in my bra, and shoes that looked like clowns, I didn't realize that my pants were falling down.. so.. I guess it took me a while!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I went from a 10 to an 8 (at 5'8) by losing about 8 pounds (same clothing manufacturer), but lost it slowly and continued to strength train. I recently lost 11 pounds in 4 weeks because I'm on an elimination diet for food sensitivity, even though I wasn't trying to. I could probably fit into a 6 now, but ironically, the size difference isn't as great as when I lost 8 pounds. This is most likely because a lot of the 11 pounds lost has been water weight and my decrease in inflammation.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The average rule is 10lbs per pants size and 20lbs per dress size. With that being said bust size plays a major factor as said above. Honestly you'll do better to take measurements monthly as you continue weightloss than to obsess over dress size. I tend to wear flowing dresses and it takes 30lbs for my size to drop but I look and feel massivly different between the two weights. I find for me personally pants size and measurments are the way to go since I'm a bottom heavy hourglass shape by fashion standards. My bust doesn't really change size much my stomach and arms get smaller along with my lower half.