Caffeine!

Options
As part of my preparation for a detox diet, I haven't had caffeine (well, not REALLY) in 3 days. (I did find this thing at Whole Foods, it's caffeinated water. The whole bottle is supposed to have the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee, and I have taken ONE sip out of it each day. It's still half full. But that's not the point! Just didn't want to lie!)
I feel like I'm doing pretty well with the caffeine cut, I haven't even had much of a headache today. But all day at work I was just exhausted!!! I really want to stick with the no caffeine (as of Wednesday it really will be NO caffeine) but I need help! Any tips on feeling more alert, focused, and AWAKE without it?

Replies

• SarahFrankel
    SarahFrankel Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just give it time! I recently gave up caffeine and it took me about a week to feel "normal" again. :)
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    No advice. But you do have my utmost respect.
  • Sararainmaker
    Sararainmaker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Make sure to eat a healthy breakfast!

Also, if you start feeling run down, get up and move around a little. Take a break and go outside. Getting a bit more blood pumping can always help you stay more awake and alert!

Good luck!

~Your friendly neighborhood barista!
  • uyent
    uyent Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's hard, cutting caffeine. I commend you for doing that! Maybe munch on some fruit, grapes or pears. They have flavors of Crystal Light that are good...Appletini and Mojito. I have been trying to drink more water but it's hard when you're used to caffeine, I know. Good luck to you!
  • Audrey0687
    Options
    One thing I found that helps is drinking tea. Right when i get to work I have a cup of tea and something about the warmth helps me wake up! Maybe that could help. =)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Caffeine withdrawal can be really nasty for several days, but takes about a week to get over.
  • tigersword
    Options
    One thing I found that helps is drinking tea. Right when i get to work I have a cup of tea and something about the warmth helps me wake up! Maybe that could help. =)

Could also be the caffeine in the tea. :tongue:
  • Laquia
    Options
    I don't like to put a lot of caffeine in my body but I also feel really sluggish without it. Something that DEFINITELY helps me is after I finish eating a meal I take 1-2 B-Complex vitamins. This vitamin turns your food into energy and gives you a natural alertness. It's awesome because it doesn't have an side effects and it's a natural supplement. They can be found in any store that carries vitamins.

My dad used to make me take these before volleyball games when i was younger and I also know that some celebrities give themselves B6 or B12 shots before performances for energy.

Try it out! I'm telling you it works so well!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I did a three week cleanse with no booze, caffeine, no red meat, no gluten etc. I did cheat a little, I sometimes had a cup of decaf coffee.

but the headaches and drowsiness will pass in a couple days! hang in there.

PS - I don't drink jet fuelled coffee any more, only decaf or Tea. And usually just herbal tea without caffeine.
  • aarce
    aarce Posts: 20
    Options
    I recently gave up caffeine, and I'm very pleased with my results! I'm more focused, not as jittery, and consistent energy throughout the day. The first week was rough, but completely worth it!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Deep breathing exercises can help oxygenate your blood and give you an energy lift.
  • RaeMe
    RaeMe Posts: 11
    Options
    B Vitamins! I'm drinking green tea these days for lots of reasons, but even when I take a day off I still feel more awake as long as I take some sort of vitamin supplement with lots of B vitamins. It works for me.
  • semhe
    semhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    gosh, i couldnt do it.. i survive on caffeine
  • CarlyC08
    Options
    Today's my 7th day being caffeine free! Although I really want a pumpkin spice latte, I'm feeling pretty good. And I think at the end of next week when I do get one, it'll be decaf!
  • tigersword
    Options
    People giving up caffeine. Does that mean you are giving up the health benefits of green tea? The antioxidants, the metabolic effect? Green tea has about as much caffeine in it as a typical can of soda, and about a third what you'd find in a cup of coffee. I gave up soda recently, but I'll never give up green tea.