Whitening teeth....

Options
kds10
kds10 Posts: 452 Member
edited March 2023 in Chit-Chat
What do you all recommend other than brushing and flossing to look after your teeth. I wish my teeth were a little whiter...right now I use a fluoride mouthwash at night wondering though if the whitening mouthwashes actually work? Any other tips? TIA!

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    9 out of 10 dentists recommend Whitestrips. The tenth one is just posturing
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    9 out of 10 dentists recommend Whitestrips. The tenth one is just posturing

‘Tis true.
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    Baking soda
    Peroxide
    Coconut oil
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Baking soda
    Peroxide
    Coconut oil

The only thing that makes me nervous about baking soda is that I heard it was kind of abrasive on teeth...I have used it mixed with my toothpaste occasionally.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Crest Whitestrips or whitening done by a dental professional
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,845 Member
    Options
    compplete-dentures-types-of-dentures.jpg

You could always just get rid of those teeth and get a whole new set...

But personally, I just stick to baking soda.
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've used Crest White Strips. They do work, but they tend to make my teeth sensitive. My suggestion is to cut them down to size so that you're only whitening the teeth that show when you smile. Good luck!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I use the Crest Whitestrips about twice a year and like the Rembrandt whitening toothpaste. However, my dentist tells me that there is only so far you can get with the over-the-counter whitening stuff and offered to make me some trays and sell me some bleaching solvent the next time I'm in... I've always been curious about the gels + UV light treatments. Anyone try those??
  • itwentthere
    itwentthere Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I’ve tried charcoal. It helps but wasn’t worth the mess. I’ve been thinking about buying one of the whitening devices that uses uv lights or something similar.
  • AvaEBerry
    AvaEBerry Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My teeth are white AF and all I do is use Crest strips once a week.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Whitening toothpaste is enough for me.

I also drink everything including coffee with a steel straw.
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few whitening products but they make my teeth feel sensitive. I'll just stick with the British look.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I found some whitening strips on Amazon akin to Crest etc, except they're made with coconut oil and seem milder to me. I use them a few times per month and they really do seem to whiten well and eliminate any tea staining. I get compliments pretty often on how white my teeth are - but I like that they do look really natural and not overly white (personal preference).
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I found some whitening strips on Amazon akin to Crest etc, except they're made with coconut oil and seem milder to me. I use them a few times per month and they really do seem to whiten well and eliminate any tea staining. I get compliments pretty often on how white my teeth are - but I like that they do look really natural and not overly white (personal preference).

@seltzermint555 Would you mind sharing the brand? I get a lot of ads on IG for whitening strips that don't use peroxide, but would appreciate one that isn't the result of a paid endorsement.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    slessofme wrote: »

@seltzermint555 Would you mind sharing the brand? I get a lot of ads on IG for whitening strips that don't use peroxide, but would appreciate one that isn't the result of a paid endorsement.

Sure! - the brand is "Grinigh" coconut oil teeth whitening strips, red packaging.
  • 5ofseven
    5ofseven Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    dxdhi2swj490.jpg
  • EmilyPaigelrpI
    EmilyPaigelrpI Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I advise you to pay attention to other oral disinfectants. Not everyone can help you with your problem. I also had issues with teeth whitening before. I have used various mouthwashes for a very long time, but nothing worked. After that, I turned to multiple forums on this topic and came across one company that offered its dental services (lombarddentalstudio.com). I decided to turn to them for help, and they had similar services. By the way, the prices were not so high. It is a rather painful procedure, but they do it quickly and efficiently.
  • lorri71
    lorri71 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I worked in the dental profession for 15 years and the only thing that succesfully whitens teeth is a hydrogen peroxide (bleach) gel applied in trays bought at the dentist. It is costly and only temporary as it needs to be done every few months. Bleach can burn the gums at higher strengh and needs professional guidance. Laser treatment dries out the teeth and makes them appear whiter temporarily which also needs to be done by a qualified practitioner.
    Toothpastes and mouthwashes in my experience do not have much effect. Disinfectant mouthwashes can affect the flora of your mouth and cause damage long term. Brushing, flossing and using interdental brushes twice a day are good for keeping teeth clean and gums healthy.
  • ComicSundae
    ComicSundae Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The best option's prevention! It's cost & time effective, to purchase/use reusable straws for all drinks & at least reduce consumption of foods, that stain teeth/ruin enamel instead of expensive/time consuming treatments thereafter.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    My teeth are too sensitive for whiteners, and in past years I've suffered for days just after one treatment with the White Strips.😫 My daughter just placed a crown Friday on a hairline crack in my back molar and commented how white my teeth are naturally and advised me not too worry about using whiteners 😁
This discussion has been closed.