Plant based

Options
dottyrainesimon
dottyrainesimon Posts: 17 Member
Is anyone out there following a whole foods plant based diet? I have been living this life style off an on for a yr. In the past several months its been strictly plant based an I feel amazing. I also quit drinking alcohol almost 6 months ago an quit caffeine 3 weeks ago. The benefits Ive gained far out weigh what I gave up. Anyone out there doing anything similar?

Replies

• sweetpea4pres
    sweetpea4pres Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We sound quite similar. I quit booze and caffeine around 2 months ago, it feels amazing! I'm trying to stick to plant based but the odd bit of cheese manages to find its way in at the moment. I started intermittent fasting on the 22nd April and I've had some fantastic success so far.
  • TriniSaltPruneGirl
    TriniSaltPruneGirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for decades, but within the last 5 years, I figured out I'm lactose intolerant, so I'm a hair's width away from being vegan, but I can't give up the quick protein boost of eggs! I don't drink alcohol or coffee, so that's helpful. In the past, I didn't really pay much attention to the protein intake - I figured I'm already not eating so many things, I can just eat everything else...lie detector determined that that was lie! :pensive: Now I'm more mindful of my protein and IRON intake to make sure I have what I need to fuel my body!
  • kratosmom
    kratosmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just starting and am gluten, dairy and soy free. Looking for some good recipes and support.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am just getting back to plant based, alcohol free, caffeine free. I did it for 6 month last year, felt great, lost weight, and my cholesterol numbers improved drastically. But for the past 6 months I have been back-sliding terribly and just decided to resume.

The caffeine is insidious. I am very sensitive to it, and once I start, I really crash and get headaches when I stop. Also, it makes me feel great in the morning, but then I get a crash and a headache around 4 pm and either have to drink more and then can't sleep, or I don't drink it and then I feel crummy, don't get anything accomplished in there evening, and just want a glass of wine. Knowing this, you would think I would be smart enough to stay away from it. This time I really am going to.

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    3.5 years plant-based, but still enjoy my morning coffee and a pint about once a week.
  • FitVibration
    FitVibration Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    💯 Vegan now, Plant Power! The benefits are great.
  • deb4nyer
    deb4nyer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’ve been plant-based for several years. I’m still learning. I love to eat out, but where I live, that can be challenging. Trying to get it all together. No more coffee in the am (I have been a morning coffee drinker for about 4 decades!), and am working on cutting out afternoon iced tea (unsweetened). Minimal soda. Trying to find balance and still lose weight.
  • chublet25
    chublet25 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Last month was my 30th anniversary of becoming vegan, after being a vegetarian for about 15 years (yeah, I'm old). Immediately after ditching dairy, I felt a whole lot better and a bunch of uncomfortable symptoms immediately disappeared. I'm probably lactose-intolerant. Don't drink alcohol or coffee, the latter because I don't like it. Try to stay away from overly-processed vegan food (but can't resist the occasional Better than sausage?) I do not avoid soy. Why do people avoid soy?
  • KatLadyLove2
    KatLadyLove2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    @chublet25, Some people avoid soy for health reasons. If you have certain health problems with your thyroid, is one good reason. I'm sure there are other reasons.
  • chublet25
    Options
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hyperthyroidism/faq-20058188

Most of the anti-soy messages have been found to be unfounded. Many of the studies from decades ago were based on people eating large quantities of soy extracts. The mayo clinic reference above is an example of the current knowledge of eating soy products, as it pertains to hyperthyroidism for instance.
  • KatLadyLove2
    Options
    @chublet25,

I know from personal experience that after losing half my thyroid, and continuing to eat soy cause a lot of problems for me with the thyroid part I have left and other problems with it. I always felt bad so I stopped using soy. I felt so much better after a few weeks of not having it.

You can not always go by studies that have been done, instead a person needs to find out what works for them. Everybody is different some people can't tolerate dairy and there are some say that's ridiculous there's nothing wrong with dairy.
    You have to learn what affects your body and what doesn't. There are no two people exactly alike, so if you're going just by a study that doesn't help for an individual because what may affect one person may not affect others.

They say when you have allergies to take away one item at a time until you find out what's affecting you and then slowly put everything else back, once you' have found the culprit. Studies are good but each person needs to find out for themselves just to be safe/healthier.
  • KatLadyLove2
    Options
    @chublet25,

Take care! I wish you the best on your journey and future. 🙂
  • chublet25
    Options
    @chublet25,

I know from personal experience that after losing half my thyroid, and continuing to eat soy cause a lot of problems for me with the thyroid part I have left and other problems with it. I always felt bad so I stopped using soy. I felt so much better after a few weeks of not having it.

You can not always go by studies that have been done, instead a person needs to find out what works for them. Everybody is different some people can't tolerate dairy and there are some say that's ridiculous there's nothing wrong with dairy.
    You have to learn what affects your body and what doesn't. There are no two people exactly alike, so if you're going just by a study that doesn't help for an individual because what may affect one person may not affect others.

They say when you have allergies to take away one item at a time until you find out what's affecting you and then slowly put everything else back, once you' have found the culprit. Studies are good but each person needs to find out for themselves just to be safe/healthier.

Well, yes, of course; everybody knows this, but you can't make a blanket dismissal of a food just because your aunt Jessica is allergic to it. Lots of people are allergic to different foods. That does not make the foods unhealthy for most people. Besides, soy is not the only food containing estrogen-like compounds, but you don't see people slamming flax and peaches. This doesn't take anything away from studies showing the benefits of soy.

• KatLadyLove2
    Options
    @chublet25,

Didn't make a blanket dismissal of any food! I stated that people need to find out what is good and not good for them. Never said it was unhealthy for everyone.

I don't want to argue about something that's not really that important.

Why are you getting upset over this?

It feels like you just want someone to have a heated discussion with, over something that's so minor. It's a food nothing more.!!

Last response to this issue!! Take care!