Swimming and body fat

Why is it that swimmers, even at international competition level seem to carry more body fat than other athletes. I have read a bit of the research comparing swimmers and runners/cyclists re energy intake, energy expenditure during and outside training, substrate utilization etc and there seems to be no conclusive explanation.

Does this mean that swimming is a less effective fat loss exercise than running or biking?

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    I dont know about that, but to me swimmers arms look 'beefier' but they use their arms and upper body majorly where runnes just use there legs? not something i reall know for sure, just a logical hypthesiss
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    It's because the body will thicken it's layer of fat to protect itself against extended time in cold water.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    I personally like to swim because it is easier on my joints and muscles than the elliptical. I was in the pool all summer doing water aerobics and it was a blast! Burned a lot of calories doing it too.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Not Michael Phelps.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    hmm here's a theory. the water is usually not heated, so swimmers store a little extra body fat to stay warm?
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    A little bit of body fat will increase your buoyancy in the water, so it's a plus.
  • I dont know about that, but to me swimmers arms look 'beefier' but they use their arms and upper body majorly where runnes just use there legs? not something i reall know for sure, just a logical hypthesiss

I was thinking this too. Comparing a distance runner to a swimmer you notice distance runners are tooth pics and swimmers are beefy :D
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    I've never heard a definite reason but here are multiple reasons I've heard...

1. the added fat is a floatation aid in the water
    2. when they lift, they lift for endurance not strength (higher reps, lower weights)
    3. swimming causes fatigue.. meaning they tend to eat more after meets than they really burn
    4. they need to load up on carbs as fuel
    5. being in cold water causes your body to add fat to heat you up
  • When I swim, and I do...I find that my muscles get toned. I also find that I am burning calories, because I swim laps and do it for cardio. When you swim with a program in mind, certain sets and reps, it's really not that different from other cardio sports. Except: It's not weight bearing, it's easier on the joints and the water provides resistance, not the body weight. While it's true that I burn less fat, it's an even burn, all the way around the body. And if you look at swimmers' bodies, they tend to have really toned ones, if they are training hard. That's certainly what my goal is. Although I have a way to go to get that swimmer's body, I definitely don't worry about being "fatter" or looking fatter because I swim.

I have to address some more misconceptions though, they're way off.
    Fat does float. The more you weigh, the easier you float. BUT, that has nothing to do with the exercise itself. I don't need fat as a floatation device to swim laps, that's just kinda silly., and while I do swim for endurance, I also swim for strenght (yep, we do reps too, and use weights in the pool and everything), as for the fatigue and carbs, that's a weird thing to imagine only swimmers doing. All athletes have their routines, but I don't carbo load, or eat more because I worked out. At least I try not to (like other folks who are working out on this same site.As for cold water causing me to hold fat: I'd have to be in REALLY cold water. Like DANGEROUSLY cold water to have that happen. I swim outside, in Northern CA. It's not super hot here. I often swim when it's cloudy. But if the water were kept too warm, it would be really uncomfortable and I'd sweat more than I already do as I work out.

If you need a low impact exercise, and you want to build stamina and strength, swimming is terrific for you. Especially if you have injuries (which I do). So go for it! Swim away. And no, you won't have a short, squat, weird body, you'll be fit.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Did some research on this a while back - they found that the colder the water you swim in, the hungrier you are after the fact. your body reacts to the exertion+cold by making you *really* want food. I can remember every swim meet I was in as a kid there was always pizza afterwards. Was cheap pizza for kids - but let me tell you, it was the tastiest pizza you've ever had. Especially if we were having a swim meet late in the season.

Swimming also works a lot of the smaller muscles that may not get worked on with regular strength training or cardio (swimmers have strong hand and wrist muscles because that's where a LOT of your momentum comes from - how hard you're able to push through the water with your arms), and their upper body gets a lot more work than runners/cyclists do.

I swim, but not nearly as much as I should - if you're swimming in an indoor or heated pool, you're not going to be as desperate to load up on calories afterwards. if you're open water swimming or similar, the opposite is likely to be true.
  • This is a pretty interesting subject. When you look at Michael Phelps or Dara Torres, they're both pretty ripped, and their specialties are the sprints. Plus, they're both mature (especially Torres) athletes with years of training (both in the water and out of the water). When you look at Missy Franklin, she's 16 years old, and she looks smoother, but she's still pretty lean.

I figure if I want a body approaching Phelps, I'd have to swim all the strokes, and throw in a little dry land training too. If the swimmers look smoother (fatter?), it may be because their muscles are smoother, and in the case of their legs, they may not be as muscular, because they are in a non-load bearing sport, and bulky legs just wouldn't benefit their times or performance.